He came back: Phil Robertson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  He came back: Phil Robertson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: He came back: Phil Robertson  (Read 2389 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4509697

A&E brings Phil Robertson back onto Duck Dynasty. Bigotry prevails once again.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

Well that was about as effective as a temporary ban on this forum.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:42 PM »

Of course. . . This is to be expected, unfortunately. 
Link
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2013, 11:00:52 PM by Link »

I thought it was kind of weird that I don't have cable TV but after this whole kerfuffle I realize most people get cable TV to watch garbage like Duck Dynasty.  Cable television is not for young single educated male liberals.  It is for troglodytes.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »

A&E are such spineless cowards. They picked pressure, demands and ratings over justice, equality and simply the right thing to do. They don't deserve that show, period. They already make millions and don't need more attention and publicity just so they can go around drinking tea and killing animals.

It wasn't a 1st Amendment right he had. Racistson took the Bill of Rights for granted and deserves to be heavily punished.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »

Already got it.

Look, I'm not a fan of the show, but this has been really overblown. Even before his comments, what do you think would be his position on this? Most that I've talked with down here think this whole episode was (is) ridiculous.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »

I was always under the impression his suspension was temporary. Suspensions usually are. Hopefully he has learned why his comments were so unacceptable, but given the level of indignant support he has received from the right I sincerely doubt it.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »

A&E are such spineless cowards. They picked pressure, demands and ratings over justice, equality and simply the right thing to do. They don't deserve that show, period. They already make millions and don't need more attention and publicity just so they can go around drinking tea and killing animals.

It wasn't a 1st Amendment right he had. Racistson took the Bill of Rights for granted and deserves to be heavily punished.
They were always acting in interest of ratings. Every TV station and radio station does. They must have realized that backlash against anti-gay sentiments isn't as large as the backlash against pro-LGBT actions, which is unfortunate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:55 AM »

Hopefully he has learned why his comments were so unacceptable, but given the level of indignant support he has received from the right I sincerely doubt it.

The sad thing is that if a Republican representative called Obama a n!gger during one of his speeches, he'd be flooded with campaign contributions for his "bravery".
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:12 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 12:53:04 AM by Accidental IDS Legislator Sanchez »

Bigoted speech is free speech. You have just as much as a right to attack Robertson as he does to make those comments, and most of all, A&E have the right to decide what goes on their airways. Clearly, Robertson’s comments were horrible, and he was punished for it. The reaction surprised me, and I wish so many people were not defending him, but it is what it is.

A&E, being a private enterprise, is in the game to make money by pumping out piss poor reality TV. If you think Duck Dynasty is awful, you should see “Rodeo Girls” and “Hardcore Pawn.” People are stupid enough to watch this, and the Robertson’s are intelligent enough to profit from it. So instead of crying about how the Robertson’s “don’t deserve the show” and “don’t deserve the publicity” you would be better served turning the channel and ignoring them.

Hell, I know some down and out rednecks from Indian River County, and they hate the show. Its audience-at least all those I know who watch it-are middle class suburbanites who get a kick out of watching some famous family of duck hunters acting like stereotypical rednecks. This was a rather stupid issue for the LBGT community to pick a fight over, and I feel that this entire debacle is the LBGT movement's equivalent of the GOP House shutting down the government. So just like the whole Obamacare clusterf[inks] took attention away from the shutdown, so will Utah's implementation of marriage equality retake the headlines.

NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »

What if A&E got rid of him because they knew that SoCons would get whipped into a frenzy and buy every piece of Duck Dynasty merchandise they could find before Christmas?

See Chick-Fil-A.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »

Interesting that this only ever became a gay thing and people glossed over his much more problematic racist comments.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »

Before anyone goes on about how his freedom of speech was violated or any other bs, realize that he was not fined or jailed for what he said, and he was and still is free to say whatever he wants, but being punished by your private employer is not restricting your freedom of speech.

If hateful and hurtful speech and actions aren't punished, then what's the point?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:28 AM »

That's good.

Say what you want about his comments, but I certainly didn't think they were worth him getting booted off the show.
Link
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »

Interesting that this only ever became a gay thing and people glossed over his much more problematic racist comments.

There are two reasons for that...

1)  Racist country is racist

2)  The gay rights thing jumped the shark especially on this forum.  I have no problem with GLAAD fighting for their rights but the general public should be able to listen to the messages coming from all these rights organizations and make a balanced decision.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »

Exactly. It is absolutely dumbfounding to me that a national star actually said blacks were happy under Jim Crow and it isn't a controversy at all. You'd have to think at least 40% share his views on gays, who's going to agree with (or admit to agreeing with) that nonsense? If people really wanted him gone, that should have been the focus.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

Hopefully, the show eventually flops, he squanders his money and ends up in the poor house. Trash like him deserves no less than that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »

A&E got to show their disapproval of his statements, and also got to let their fans be happy by not removing a popular show or at least a key character from the show.  I suspect this is what they had planned to do all along.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »

Cable television is not for young single educated male liberals.

That's good!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's bad.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

http://deadstate.org/heres-video-from-2009-where-phil-robertson-says-men-should-marry-fifteen-or-sixteen-year-old-girls/

Oh dear...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

Hopefully, the show eventually flops, he squanders his money and ends up in the poor house. Trash like him deserves no less than that.

One would think that he deserves whatever the fruits of his labors bring him (assuming, of course, that his labors and their fruit are not ill-gotten).
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

Hopefully he has learned why his comments were so unacceptable, but given the level of indignant support he has received from the right I sincerely doubt it.

The sad thing is that if a Republican representative called Obama a n!gger during one of his speeches, he'd be flooded with campaign contributions for his "bravery".

uhm....what. Why do I get the feeling you do not get out and travel much? While it is a fact racism exists, I notice that for some reason people on the left seem to be of the opinion that every white male in this country (who is not a Democrat) might as well be from rural Mississippi. 

If a Republican representative, even from the most racist district out there, used the N word today he would be rightfully forced to resign by the end of the day and never hold office again.
Link
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »

If a Republican representative, even from the most racist district out there, used the N word today he would be rightfully forced to resign by the end of the day and never hold office again.

Keep in mind you are saying this in a thread where people have poured in to show support for a guy who said blacks were happy under Jim Crow.  This guy is a holocaust denier and the fascists of this forum and America poured out to support him.  I think it is you and your ilk that need to get a clue and stop lecturing people.

This whole affair is sickening.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

uhm....what. Why do I get the feeling you do not get out and travel much? While it is a fact racism exists, I notice that for some reason people on the left seem to be of the opinion that every white male in this country (who is not a Democrat) might as well be from rural Mississippi.  

While it's true he would likely be forced into resignation, that wouldn't change the fact that the racist bloc of the GOP would adore him, and he'd coast on wingnut welfare for the rest of his life.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

While it's true he would likely be forced into resignation, that wouldn't change the fact that the racist bloc of the GOP would adore him, and he'd coast on wingnut welfare for the rest of his life.

I don't know what "racist bloc" you're talking about but if it did exist I doubt it would support him, acting neutral at best towards the guy.

It's like saying that socons would support the WBC because they both oppose gay marriage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies