Opinion of the phrase "Wussification of America"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:15:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the phrase "Wussification of America"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of this phrase
Freedom phrase

Horrible phrase

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of the phrase "Wussification of America"  (Read 2654 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:58:02 AM »

Basically, the term refers to weakening of American society into wussies because we are losing faith, values, morals, etc.

Horrible and very, very annoying. My dis-likeness for the "traditional/moral values!" and "discipline!" republicans can't be overstated. Whether its true or not I'm not judging, but how its used by the pundits is in fact disgusting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »

When I think of the term (not that I think of the term often) I don't think about people losing faith, values or morals.  I think about men getting manicures, being afraid to kill spiders, not knowing how to drive a manual, not knowing how to change a tire (much less a starter), mom's showing up to yell at teachers and bosses when their spoiled little brats get yelled at for being little bitches, asking to be banned from a message board because they can't figure out how to calm down, the NFL's wussy rule changes, giving trophies for competing, helicopter parents and Janet Jackson's nipple.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »

First I'd heard of this term.  Interesting.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 08:19:35 AM by ElectionsGuy »

When I think of the term (not that I think of the term often) I don't think about people losing faith, values or morals.  I think about men getting manicures, being afraid to kill spiders, not knowing how to drive a manual, not knowing how to change a tire (much less a starter), mom's showing up to yell at teachers and bosses when their spoiled little brats get yelled at for being little bitches, asking to be banned from a message board because they can't figure out how to calm down, the NFL's wussy rule changes, giving trophies for competing, helicopter parents and Janet Jackson's nipple.

I agree with you on almost every front you stated there, and think its ridiculous that political correctness and the left demand that people be more equal no matter how they work.  But what I think conservatives are saying is that we need to bring back the traditional way of life in order for the nation to be mentally and physically strong. That's what I meant when I was saying losing morals and values. I don't think we need to be religious or be very disciplinary in order for our society to be strong, but I think raising children in a way that they understand consequences and how to act in front of people, etc. is important. What you stated is basically political correctness that is making us wussies, and that I can agree with. But I do think conservative pundits are really talking about the new, more secular society that focuses more on enjoying themselves more than doing the most work, that is decaying our strength as a nation. And that I don't necessarily agree with.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

Agreed.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »

Horrible phrase used by reactionaries to describe tolerance.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

Basically.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »

Yeah, this.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 01:51:41 PM by Redalgo »

Horrible phrase, whether in reference to the OP or dead0man's initial reply. These concerns have been voiced in the States for over a century now. At first it was about America transitioning from mostly-rural to mostly-urban life, triggering fears that it would destroy the qualities that make men sufficiently manly (hence for example the foundation of the Boy Scouts of America as an attempt to keep young males connected to old values and experiences). Now the concern seems to be more about children being raised in relatively affluent and easygoing, liberal households and because of changing social standards on what kinds of behaviors, lifestyles, etc. are alright.

I consider the general phenomenon of "wussification" to in fact be the gradual destruction of traditional gender roles and popularity of the "stern father" kind of authoritarian/discipline-oriented approach to parenting. It is possible to go too far in the direction of coddling kids and sheltering them too much from the real, adult world of responsibilities and consequences, sure, but at least more barriers are being torn down in the name of individual empowerment. The very notion that kids should grow up being told how to think, behave, and develop their identities is offensive.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

I refuse to believe that this is a real phrase used by real people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

I've always heard "pussification," but it's essentially the same phrase.  The fact that Little League baseball gives every player a trinket at the end of the season instead of just the champions is extremely offensive to some people.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

america is getting soft
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

Can't believe I've never heard this before. Horrible Phrase, from your description.

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »

Idiotic term.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »

I've always heard "pussification," but it's essentially the same phrase.  The fact that Little League baseball gives every player a trinket at the end of the season instead of just the champions is extremely offensive to some people.
It should be very offensive to everyone. In Little League, the best team should get the trophy. I played soccer when I was in kindergarten and first grade, and I remember doing nothing but crying on the sidelines when I didn’t get to kick the ball in whichever direction. Why should the players like myself (the ones signed up by their parents even though they had no idea what soccer was) deserve the same reward that the serious players with actual talent and determination get? That’s asinine. The term “wussification” is annoying as hell, but some truth lies in it. Everybody shouldn’t get a trophy.

In 8th grade, they had this thing where you could send carnations every Valentine’s Day. And everyone in the class got one except me. In the past, that type of thing hurt me, but by eighth grade I had no desire to get one, nor was I upset that I wasn’t considered. None of my friends sent any out, though they all received some from other classmates, so it wasn’t like I was ignored by my friends. Anyway, the girl behind me had twenty something carnations. She had far, far more than everybody else. My teacher took one of hers and appropriated it to me. That was offensive to me. Somebody paid a dollar for that carnation to send to her, not me. It was not mine, and I had no right to have it. And worst of all, he wouldn’t let me give it back to her. I returned it to her later, but I thought the whole incident was awful.

There once was a time when parents did not yell at their children’s teachers. My parents, praise God, always had the sense to know that 9.9 times out of 10, my poor grades were due to my own laziness. Sometimes teachers can be incompetent, and sometimes they do unfairly pick on certain students. But every single bias accusation against teachers that I have heard from my classmates has been complete bullsh*t or excuses.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

People that complain about everyone getting a trophy are considerably worse than the practice itself.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »

Quite true, though the correct term would be "pussification", obviously. The weak need to be punished while the strong get no reward, seeing as strength is its own reward. Ideally, we'd have some sort of camp where the weak would go to be disciplined/exterminated. Hrn...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »

The point of "giving everyone a trophy" is so that they'll have some kind of memento to remember the fun times of playing on the team.  No one is under the impression the trophy represents some kind of championship.

There is absolutely nothing objectionable about the practice, at least in the elementary/middle school times.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »

I think the phrase itself is a bit coarse and something of a generalisation. Nevertheless, I do strongly sympathise with some of the arguments it's used as a catchphrase for.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »

How to de-wussify America:

1. Stop requiring seat belts and side airbags in cars. Put lead back into gasoline and paint.

2. More smoking and more drinking hard liquor.

3. Fewer cops. We need to settle our disputes like men - with the guns we carry with us everywhere should an opportunity for a duel present itself.

4. Women need to stop using birth control pills and instead birth all the babies she can - with no anesthesia. And her husband is allowed to smack her around every now and then as long as there's no blood.

5. Stop spending all this money on healthcare. Illnesses should be dealt with using the Old Ways - cutting off limbs with a hacksaw and using whiskey as an anesthetic and antiseptic.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »

Are you here to tell me that there's a problem with hard liquor?

And of course excessive hyperbole is pervasive throughout.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 09:27:26 PM by ElectionsGuy »

The point of "giving everyone a trophy" is so that they'll have some kind of memento to remember the fun times of playing on the team.  No one is under the impression the trophy represents some kind of championship.

There is absolutely nothing objectionable about the practice, at least in the elementary/middle school times.

You can give all the kids participation medals, but a trophy? A trophy is supposed to represent a hard earned victory, not just to remember fun times.

I refuse to believe that this is a real phrase used by real people.

If you don't believe me:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/12/23/top-ten-things-fox-decided-will-lead-to-the-wus/197334

But it IS Faux so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »

It is a phrase used only by "wussies".
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

It was sarcasm, dude. Calm down.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 04:57:20 AM »

It was sarcasm, dude. Calm down.
More like strawcasm.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies