If McCrory wins reelection in '16, will he run for Senate or White House in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:33:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If McCrory wins reelection in '16, will he run for Senate or White House in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If McCrory wins reelection in '16, will he run for Senate or White House in 2020  (Read 748 times)
TX Conservative Dem
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »

Let's say McCrory won reelection as governor in 2016 , does anyone think he'll run for the U. S. Senate against Hagan (if she survives next year) or the White House in 2020
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »

In 2008 when many expected him to win the election against Perdue, he was mentioned as a possible candidate down the road. Of course that was 2008 and a lot has happened since then of course.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »

A lot depends on whether Hagan get reelected. It's doubtful McCrory would challenge an incumbent Republican for a Senate seat.  He might run for the Senate in 2022 if Burr decides to retire after three terms.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »

I think he is a strongly underrated dark horse for 2016, and I am almost 100% sure that he will run in 2020 if we lose 2016.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2013, 01:54:31 PM by MilesC56 »

I think he is a strongly underrated dark horse for 2016, and I am almost 100% sure that he will run in 2020 if we lose 2016.

I think he could well run for President, but if he's still struggling to keep his house in order in order in 2016, I don't think he'll run then.

As for running for Senate, he 'kinda reminds me of Jindal in that regard; I thunk both see themselves more as executives than legislators.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »

His approval ratings are currently quite low, and he'll be sixty in 2016.

If Hagan wins reelection, I don't know he eager he would be to run for Senate in 2020 (although there have been a few sixty-somethings elected.) Burr's one year older, so I don't know if he'll be ready to run for that seat when Burr to retire. He may have an opportunity if something happens (IE- If Burr is appointed to the cabinet) but his options are limited.

There are relatively few Governors turned Senators. Part of the reason is that party openings in the Senate don't come up very often, Governors tend to be old enough when they get elected to statewide office and the 6-10 year gap between gubernatorial election and senate election often has the governor's party fall our of favor.

If he can improve his popularity, and find a way to stand out among other Republican officeholders, he may be a plausible presidential contender in 2020. Although he's more likely to just be one of many Republican officeholders.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

I don't see Pat McCrory running for higher office any time in the future, as he is not charismatic and is arguably one of the worst state governors in office at the moment. I seriously hope that he will lose re-election to Roy Cooper in 2016.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »

I agree with Yankee.

He should have won in 2008 if he wanted to have done anything else.  I wonder how he would have been in Perdue's shoes.

If I see him running it will be for Senate but I doubt it.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

Maybe as a VP candidate, but he'd get his ass beat by Hagan/whoever runs.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:02 AM »

McCrory's hope of winning reelection in 2016 would be tying Cooper to the unpopular Obama White House and Obamacare.

Remember, the Southern Strategy is alive and well 45 years after Nixon took office.
Don't be McCrory uses code words to get the GOPers excited and turning out to vote.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies