Most popular sports by country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:02:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Most popular sports by country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most popular sports by country  (Read 8448 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

I made that map originally Cheesy (Wont be the first time I found one of my maps popping up somewhere in real life or elsewhere on the internet! )

Roughly 10 years ago National Geographic had a map showing all the countries where soccer was the most popular sport, and I filled in the blanks from that.

Then you seem to have made a mistake.  The most popular sport in China is Basketball.  (Football is actually number three there, behind basketball and pingpong.)  Not sure about the others. 

Again, the original map didn't have China coloured green for soccer. I forget what I had coloured it, but I don't think it was basketball. And you're right, it wasn't quite 10 years ago...

But don't be so nitpicky, considering you didn't realize Minnesota has an NHL team, despite you living in an adjacent state.

haha.  Fair enough.  They didn't have one for a long time, but they do now.  I don't follow hockey either.

By the way, I put about four states between me and Minnesota a long time ago.  I've lived in Southeastern Pennsylvania for about 18 months now.  My parents do hail from northern Minnesota.  Little town called Ely, at the edge of the known universe.  Nothing to do there except hunt bears, fish for fish, kayak (in the three months of the year that the water isn't frozen), drink hard liquor, and play hockey.  Daddy played hockey in high school and in college.  Lots of hockey fans in that part of the world.  There used to be a team called the Minnesota North Stars when I was growing up.  I've seen them play a few times.  Well, I should say that Daddy dragged me to the place where they played, and he saw them play.  I just consumed popcorn, funnel cakes, and coca-cola.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »

Hockey is a great sport to watch live.  Less so on the TV.  The opposite of football.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

Hockey is a great sport to watch live.  Less so on the TV.  The opposite of football.

When I was a student at BU we used to watch the terriers play at Walter Brown Arena.  That was actually pretty exciting.  BU had a good hockey team at that time.  For all I knew they still do.  Anyway, it wasn't so much the game itself, but the cult that went with it and the reactions of the rabid BU fans, that made it such a spectacle to behold.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »

I made that map originally Cheesy (Wont be the first time I found one of my maps popping up somewhere in real life or elsewhere on the internet! )

Roughly 10 years ago National Geographic had a map showing all the countries where soccer was the most popular sport, and I filled in the blanks from that.

Then you seem to have made a mistake.  The most popular sport in China is Basketball.  (Football is actually number three there, behind basketball and pingpong.)  Not sure about the others.  

Again, the original map didn't have China coloured green for soccer. I forget what I had coloured it, but I don't think it was basketball. And you're right, it wasn't quite 10 years ago...

But don't be so nitpicky, considering you didn't realize Minnesota has an NHL team, despite you living in an adjacent state.

I don't think I've ever heard of the MN-PA border.

And again on the map, I'm skeptical of Africa. I imagine several countries should really be marked as rugby or cricket.
No. Only in South Africa and Rhodesia should that even be an argument, and overwhelming black support of soccer more than nullifies this.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »

TBF though Tasmania have a cricket side but not an AFL one Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »

Then you seem to have made a mistake.  The most popular sport in China is Basketball.  (Football is actually number three there, behind basketball and pingpong.)  Not sure about the others. 

haha.  Fair enough.  They didn't have one for a long time, but they do now.  I don't follow hockey either.

By the way, I put about four states between me and Minnesota a long time ago.  I've lived in Southeastern Pennsylvania for about 18 months now.  My parents do hail from northern Minnesota.  Little town called Ely, at the edge of the known universe.  Nothing to do there except hunt bears, fish for fish, kayak (in the three months of the year that the water isn't frozen), drink hard liquor, and play hockey.  Daddy played hockey in high school and in college.  Lots of hockey fans in that part of the world.  There used to be a team called the Minnesota North Stars when I was growing up.  I've seen them play a few times.  Well, I should say that Daddy dragged me to the place where they played, and he saw them play.  I just consumed popcorn, funnel cakes, and coca-cola.

Sorry, I thought you were in Iowa. You should get an avatar!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »

Hockey is definitely king in MN. My HS hockey team made it to the state tournament in 1974, so I got to go to the games since I played in the pep band during the season. The state was divided into 8 regions with one entrant from each region, high school size was not a factor. The tournament was held in the North Stars home arena and was such a big deal that the independent station carrying the games beat the ratings of all three networks in the Twin Cities. The cities were furious with the owner who took the North Stars to Dallas as the Stars. Part of the problem was that the North Stars wanted a new arena, which only came when the Wild came as an expansion. As for the old arena, its site is now part of the Mall of America.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2013, 01:14:43 PM by Pac. Speaker DemPGH »

I like that map Angus posted, and I've wondered about that. Basketball's passion is at the college level. Baseball is most popular at the pro level.

Baseball's problem, though, is that it no longer fits the pace of our culture. The season is too long, games are too slow, etc., and it's terrible on TV. The only time I watch baseball on TV is if I'm working on something and I can zone in and out. Interest in baseball peaks in June, July, and August when people can hang out at the ballpark and enjoy nice weather - a warm summer evening. In the playoffs cities with teams competing will see interest spike again, though.

I think basketball can overtake baseball in the next decade. Basketball needs more PR work; it's only recently broken its stereotype of being an inner city game, IMO, probably because of the passion that's swelled up for college basketball.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

I like that map Angus posted, and I've wondered about that. Basketball's passion is at the college level. Baseball is most popular at the pro level.

Baseball's problem, though, is that it no longer fits the pace of our culture. The season is too long, games are too slow, etc., and it's terrible on TV. The only time I watch baseball on TV is if I'm working on something and I can zone in and out. Interest in baseball peaks in June, July, and August when people can hang out at the ballpark and enjoy nice weather - a warm summer evening. In the playoffs cities with teams competing will see interest spike again, though.

I think basketball can overtake baseball in the next decade. Basketball needs more PR work; it's only recently broken its stereotype of being an inner city game, IMO, probably because of the passion that's swelled up for college basketball.

Basketball would also be helped by international stars. In the 90's when I went to conferences in Europe or South America and I said I was from Chicago, their first response was usually something like "Ah, Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls". The Dream Team at the '92 Olympics was followed by fans around the country and world. There was a sense then that it wasn't just the inner city game that it was in the 70's. Basketball seemed to roll back to its urban roots after MJ left the stage.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »

Anybody ever thought of doing a "#1 sport that isn't soccer" world map? Rugby vs. Handball could be pretty interesting for Europe, especially as concerns France and Spain. Volleyball appears to have some adherents in Latin America, etc.

Oh, and horse-riding - probably somewhere on the Arab peninsula, before somebody's magic wand turned the whole world (soccer-) green.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »

Anybody ever thought of doing a "#1 sport that isn't soccer" world map? Rugby vs. Handball could be pretty interesting for Europe, especially as concerns France and Spain. Volleyball appears to have some adherents in Latin America, etc.

Oh, and horse-riding - probably somewhere on the Arab peninsula, before somebody's magic wand turned the whole world (soccer-) green.
I can't see rugby being #2 anywhere in Europe except for France (or maybe Britain, dunno what #2 would be there). Would probably be stuff like handball, skiing, tennis, F1, golf, etc. Possibly even basketball (it has a pretty massive following with a lot of the Europeans I talk to, mainly those around my age).

The main people that care about horse racing are those at the pub looking for a bet.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

Basketball would be #2 in a good chunk of Europe (the Baltics, ex-Yugoslavia, maybe even Spain).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »

As for the old arena, its site is now part of the Mall of America.

Intriguing.  I had no idea.  I've been to that old arena several times, but it was 40 years ago.  I've also been to the Mall of America as recently as three years ago--my son and I loved the Fairly Oddcoaster and the Lego store--but I never connected the two.

Can't say I miss the Midwest winters, old man.  Smiley
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »

Basketball would be #2 in a good chunk of Europe (the Baltics, ex-Yugoslavia, maybe even Spain).
Basketball is actually #1 according to the chart in the Baltics ITBT.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »

Basketball is actually #1 according to the chart in the Baltics ITBT.

Yeah and I think it would be second favorite in Spain, Italy and former Yugoslavian countries.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

Hockey would be #2 in Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belarus and possibly Germany.

In Canada, #2 would be Canadian football. American football is quite popular too (unfortunately), especially in southern Ontario where it might be more popular than Canadian football Sad   Canadian football might be more popular than hockey in Saskatchewan, although I doubt it.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »

Intriguing.  I had no idea.  I've been to that old arena several times, but it was 40 years ago.  I've also been to the Mall of America as recently as three years ago--my son and I loved the Fairly Oddcoaster and the Lego store--but I never connected the two.

Met Center was out in the parking lot of the old Met Stadium and stood until after the MoA was built.  Now with the expansion of MOA the site will be covered over.

The mall currently stands on the old Metropolitan Stadium site and they have home plate and the bases placed throughout the mall where they were on the field.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:23 PM »

I, for one, do not think that baseball is boring to watch on TV. It's not any more boring, than, say, American football, from an action per watched minute perspective. Basketball is the "most" exciting by that metric.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

Met Center was out in the parking lot of the old Met Stadium and stood until after the MoA was built.  Now with the expansion of MOA the site will be covered over.

The mall currently stands on the old Metropolitan Stadium site and they have home plate and the bases placed throughout the mall where they were on the field.

They must have overlapped a short time. The first time I visited MoA in the mid 90's the Met Center was a just parking lot.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »

In Argentina the second most popular sport is probably Auto Racing or Tennis, with Rugby being a notch below.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »

Basketball would also be helped by international stars. In the 90's when I went to conferences in Europe or South America and I said I was from Chicago, their first response was usually something like "Ah, Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls". The Dream Team at the '92 Olympics was followed by fans around the country and world. There was a sense then that it wasn't just the inner city game that it was in the 70's. Basketball seemed to roll back to its urban roots after MJ left the stage.

Actually, what basketball needs is another Larry Bird - as in, a white guy who is a real 'Murican (unlike, say, Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol). Just as black people will vote when there's a black guy running for president for a change, so white people will watch basketball when one of their own is getting all the attention.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:44 AM »

Venezuela will go green soon enough; it's traditionally been a baseball country but "soccer" is skyrocketing in popularity there. Hell, they could qualify for the 2018 World Cup if their improvement over the past few years holds.

As for the US map, I suspect that in actual popularity there would be a lot more green on that map. No way baseball is more popular than football in PA.

Don't talk about things about which you have no knowledge.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2013, 05:35:46 AM »

Hockey would be #2 in Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belarus and possibly Germany.

#2 in Germany would be Handball.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2013, 05:39:40 AM »

Did some research on German sports:

A. Average number of spectators per Bundesliga match (men only, including play-offs, if available)Sad
Soccer (2012/13):      41,622
Ice Hockey (2012):       6,050
Handball (2012/13):     4,540
Basketball (2012/13):   4,435
Am. Football (2013):    1,912

B. Sport association members (2013, active and inactive)
Soccer:                     6,822,233
Gymnastics*:            5,008,966
Tennis:                     1,472,192
Shooting**:               1,372,418
Athletics:                    853,076
Handball:                    803,373
Fishing:                      787,431
Horse riding:              708,890
(...)
Basketball:                 192.012
(..)
Am. Football                 50,162
Ice Hockey                   27,391

*) Typically multi-sports, including various team sports
**) Also serving as"base organisation" for organising local festivals and events in several rural parts of Germany

C. Spectator interest (survey, summer 2012, just before the London Olympics!)
1. Soccer
2. Olympic Games
3. Formula 1
4. Handball
5. Tennis

I realise that identifying the #2 sports in Germany is anything but easy...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:35 AM »

B. Sport association members (2013, active and inactive)
Soccer:                     6,822,233
Gymnastics*:            5,008,966
Tennis:                     1,472,192
Shooting**:               1,372,418
Athletics:                    853,076
Handball:                    803,373
Fishing:                      787,431
Horse riding:              708,890
(...)
Basketball:                 192.012
(..)
Am. Football                 50,162
Ice Hockey                   27,391
And, of course, tennis club membership is not really comparable to handball club membership either since it's usually a requirement to occasionally use the facilities for a private match against a friend or the wife; more like a golf club membership (except far more common). That doesn't make you an active amateur sportsperson. On the other hand, there are still lots of rural and suburban places where the handball club takes the place of what, elsewhere, is the football club or clubs. Particularly common in the north, but the phenomenon exists in Hesse as well.
Ice Hockey is kinda hindered by the prohibitive equipment needs, of course. It's almost entirely a spectator sport... but unlike Formula 1, in the stadium and not on tv.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies