VA State Senate Special Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA State Senate Special Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: VA State Senate Special Elections  (Read 6911 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

With Ralph Northam and Mark Herring set to swear in next month, Virginia will be having two special elections to replace them in the State Senate.  Since the State Senate is currently deadlocked, the specials could determine which party controls it and play a big roll in what the next VA administration will be like.  The 33rd District election is being considered the more competitive at the moment.  May's independent candidacy makes it interesting since he was a long time member of the House of Delegates before being ousted in a primary this year.

6th District (Previous held by Northam): January 7th
Lynwood Lewis (D)
Wayne Coleman (R)

33rd District (Previously held by Herring): January 21st
Jennifer Wexton (D)
John Whitbeck (R)
Joe May (I)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Ouch, I didn't even consider how the AG race could hurt VA Democrats here. If Democrats lose even one of these, McAuliffe will be a lame-duck Governor for the next 2 years or possibly his whole Governorship. There would be full Republican control of both houses and no chance of compromise unless Dems. can maintain that narrow control of the Senate.

Do you know the PVI of each one by chance? From what it seems, the 6th leans D while the 33rd could really go either way.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »

Ouch, I didn't even consider how the AG race could hurt VA Democrats here. If Democrats lose even one of these, McAuliffe will be a lame-duck Governor for the next 2 years or possibly his whole Governorship. There would be full Republican control of both houses and no chance of compromise unless Dems. can maintain that narrow control of the Senate.

Do you know the PVI of each one by chance? From what it seems, the 6th leans D while the 33rd could really go either way.

Both of them should lean Democratic. Obama won 33rd with 59% of the vote and the 6th with 57% according to VPAP.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »

PVI: D+6 for both
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:05:57 AM »

The GOP has such an overwhelming advantage in the HoD, does it even matter if the GOP narrowly wins the Senate as well?
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »

The GOP has such an overwhelming advantage in the HoD, does it even matter if the GOP narrowly wins the Senate as well?
Yes, because if Dems control the Senate they know McAuliffe's agenda at the very least gets voted on in the Senate; if GOP controls it, they could refuse to vote on anything McAuliffe may want.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »

Yes, because if Dems control the Senate they know McAuliffe's agenda at the very least gets voted on in the Senate; if GOP controls it, they could refuse to vote on anything McAuliffe may want.

So it would just be symbolic, which was my point.
interstate73

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »

With all precincts reporting in SD-06, Lt. Gov-elect Ralph Northam's seat, Democrat Lynwood Davis leads by 22 votes... Buckle your seatbelts, we're heading to Recount City.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »

It's being reported on Rachel Maddow's show right now and with 97% of precincts reporting, it is too close to call. The Democrat, Lynwood Lewis Jr., is leading with 10,197 votes and 50% of the vote to Republican Wayne Coleman who has 10,175 votes to his name with 49.9% of the vote. There are also 8 write-in votes.  

If Republicans win this seat or Herring's seat in two weeks, they will retain control of the State Senate and McAuliffe could be a lame-duck Governor.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »

As of now, Lewis is leading by 22 (yes, I know) votes (with all precincts accounted for). I think canvassing happens tomorrow, and that could make a difference. With such a low margin, there is also bound to be another recount.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »

Wow, another close call in Virginia. Dems probably luck out and survive though.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »

I'm sure those 8 voters probably feel like crap knowing that screwing around and writing some name that stood no chance of winning could be the difference between whether Lewis or Coleman picks up the win now with a margin as narrow as this and intense circumstances as vital as this.

As for the 33rd, I'm predicting a Democratic hold there because of Joe May being in the race and therefore a split in the Republican moderate and Tea Party vote, but this current race could still go either way.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »

Weather was bad here today some of the lowest temperatures in years schools/work delayed just because of how cold it was here this morning it was probably a big factor in the election because of turnout issues contributing to Lynwood's underwhelming performance.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:07 AM »

Would be very ironic if SD-33 ends up being the easier one for Democrats.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »

I hate special elections...
interstate73

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »

Lewis now leads by 10 with one precinct left to be recanvassed (Tangiers Island, the one with the possible anomaly in Coleman's favor) and 3 provisionals to be counted (presumed by the parties to be 2 Coleman, 1 Lewis).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

Here are precinct maps:
http://www.vpap.org/elections/live_results/jan_2014?race=S6&display=map

So, I'm just realizing now that due to redistricting I now live in this district.  Seriously, if I can't stay on top of this I don't know how normal people with a life are supposed to.  So it's nice that I now live in a competitive senate district instead of a VRA, but yeah ... would have been nice to have figured this out beforehand so I could have voted.     
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »

Here are precinct maps:

So, I'm just realizing now that due to redistricting I now live in this district.  Seriously, if I can't stay on top of this I don't know how normal people with a life are supposed to.  So it's nice that I now live in a competitive senate district instead of a VRA, but yeah ... would have been nice to have figured this out beforehand so I could have voted.     

Who would you have hypothetically voted for shua?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »

Lewis now leads by 10 with one precinct left to be recanvassed (Tangiers Island, the one with the possible anomaly in Coleman's favor) and 3 provisionals to be counted (presumed by the parties to be 2 Coleman, 1 Lewis).

The oddly high turnout in Tangier could be fishermen/ferry workers who were home yesterday because of ice.  I wouldn't discount it off hand.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »

Here are precinct maps:

probably Coleman.
interstate73

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »

Here are precinct maps:

probably Coleman.

Good thing you didn't vote then Tongue
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »

The VA SBE certified the result today with Lewis winning by 9 votes.  Shocked  Coleman's campaign plans to ask for a recount.

Lynwood W. Lewis, Jr. (D)  10,201
Wayne Coleman (R) 10,192
Write-ins 8
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:27 PM »

Democrats really need to learn that presidential elections aren't the only elections that matter.
interstate73

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »

The VA SBE certified the result today with Lewis winning by 9 votes.  Shocked  Coleman's campaign plans to ask for a recount.

Lynwood W. Lewis, Jr. (D)  10,201
Wayne Coleman (R) 10,192
Write-ins 8
I swear to God if this race comes down to lizard people
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 05:38:37 AM »

Democrats really need to learn that presidential elections aren't the only elections that matter.

Yeah, their inability to turn out on special elections has reached an incomprehensible level. What the fyck are the local parties doing?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies