Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:10:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America  (Read 2788 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »

A better thread title would be the most famous person worldwide that isn't famous in America or a sportsman IMO.

I think Messi/Ronaldo/etc. would be a better fit than Tendulkar, because soccer has far more universal appeal than cricket.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2013, 12:24:01 AM by politicus »

I suppose it comes down to how we measure the question, because the most famous cricket players are going to be known by less than 1% of Americans, while the most famous soccer players are going to be much higher.

Not really, its well defined.

A better thread title would be the most famous person worldwide that isn't famous in America or a sportsman IMO.

I think Messi/Ronaldo/etc. would be a better fit than Tendulkar, because soccer has far more universal appeal than cricket.

Looks like you haven't read the thread. We have already eliminated Ronaldo and Messi, since they are too well known.

Anyway OP defines it as:

Basically, who is a celebrity or public figure who is incredibly well known through most of the world but not the US?

Cricket players are never known in "most of the world", so they are out by definition. The same goes for Asian, African, Latin American and European actors and singers.

As previously stated I cant see there is any other possibility than a soccer player ranking just under Messi/Ronaldo in fame.

Soccer is the only field that almost everybody outside the US follows and relatively few Americans do.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 01:01:35 AM »

Probably Neymar or Shahrukh Khan. Don't know much about soccer to decide between them but probably Neymar.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »

As previously stated I cant see there is any other possibility than a soccer player ranking just under Messi/Ronaldo in fame.

Ibrahimovic?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:10 AM »

Maybe for non soccer players. But I think soccer players are on the right track, as soccer is probably the largest cultural institution in the world that isn't big in the US.

Hmm, yeah. Kylie fits the bill for non-American gays.
I'm vaguely surprised the children on here know who Kylie Minogue was. (Obviously, men my generation don't have to be gay to remember her!)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:35 AM »

Maybe for non soccer players. But I think soccer players are on the right track, as soccer is probably the largest cultural institution in the world that isn't big in the US.

I'm vaguely surprised the children on here know who Kylie Minogue was. (Obviously, men my generation don't have to be gay to remember her!)
Some of us come of the same country that Kylie did Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 04:45:50 AM »

Yeah, they don't really count for "famous worldwide" questions, though.

Another direction to maybe look would be Michael Schumacher.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »

Came here to post that. Never even heard of him before yesterday.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »

I believe I have admitted to my infatuation with her in the past (many years ago, to be honest). I happen to enjoy "gay music". Why should it only be the gays that enjoy upbeat pop music?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

Who is Michael Schumacher? 

You might have a winner.  I've heard of most of those players, even though I don't follow soccer very closely (except for my son's team).  I've heard of the Indian actors, but then I do watch Indian movies.  I haven't heard of Sachin Tendlukar, though.  Maybe he's not in any of the Bollywood movies I've seen. 

Of course we all remember Kylie Minogue.  Ever since I was about 20 years old she was pretty standard MTV fare, and I have to imagine that she is at least as well known as Culture Club.  (Although I'd probably have answered that she is an American, if asked.  Never put much thought into it.  I guess she's not, based on her mention in this thread, but I'll wager that she's from one of the anglophone countries anyway.) 

I've even heard the name Kate Bush.  I don't know what she does or where she's from, but I recall having heard that name, probably on this forum.  (Singer, maybe, or actor?  Could be a politician I suppose.)

Still, I don't think I've ever heard the name Michael Schumacher.  And I see that Phil claims not to have heard of him till recently, and Phil knows everything about The Beautiful Game, so I'm guessing that he's not a footballer.  I'd assume that he's either a famous German (or Austrian or Swiss) actor or singer or mass murderer.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »

I thought auto racing was popular in the US? Or perhaps that's just NASCAR?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

Just NASCAR. No one watches Formula 1. I don't think it's even on TV (maybe on a specialty channel or something).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

auto racing?  Is Schumacher an auto racing guy?  Then he might be known by auto racing fans, but I doubt that auto racing is all that popular.  I can only think of one person I know that watches auto races on TV, and none that attend them.  As I recall, the sorts of things that people actually watch on TV are Football--and by football I mean American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, the olympics, the tour de france, and dancing with the stars.  There are a few, like Phil, who watch soccer, and a few, like my friend Duane, who watch auto racing.  I assume that some of the younger posters might be into the "extreme" sports shows, like the one where they drop you out of an airplane with a bicycle between your legs and a parachute strapped to your back, and you have to land on the side of a mountain and ride the bicycle down the mountain to a ramp, which you must jump, and then while in mid-air change into your swimming suit before landing into an ice-cold river and then swim a mile underwater to a little box which contains a skateboard and a paintball gun, then you break into the box and pull out the skateboard and paintball gun and then you...

Well, you get the idea.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Have you listened to the news today, Angus? Did they mention Schumacher's ski accident?

It was just after my last reply on this thread that I heard the news on the radio. (Formula 1 does have a bit of a following in Canada though).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

Just NASCAR. No one watches Formula 1. I don't think it's even on TV (maybe on a specialty channel or something).

False, if the fact that my dad is obsessed with it (and is in fact a moderator on a F1 forum) is any indicator. That's why we went to Montreal earlier this summer.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

False, if the fact that my dad is obsessed with it (and is in fact a moderator on a F1 forum) is any indicator. That's why we went to Montreal earlier this summer.

Nothing more American than Montreal!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

Have you listened to the news today, Angus? Did they mention Schumacher's ski accident?

It was just after my last reply on this thread that I heard the news on the radio. (Formula 1 does have a bit of a following in Canada though).

ah, I stopped listening to the news long ago.  The only reason I know that Sneakers O'Toole died is because of this forum.  Well, Lawrence of Arabia was on last night and they mentioned the "late" actor so I would have found out anyway.

I do watch the PBS newshour a few times per week.  I used to watch it religiously, every evening.  It's really the only news I watch regularly, but I don't think I've seen it in a couple of weeks.  Life gets in the way, you know.  We have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, and still have a couple of weeks to go.  Crazy things happen this time of year, so I can't always plan my viewing as I'd like.

But if this guy's dead, then I take back all the nice things I said about Trondheim's post.  I don't think posthumous figures work very well here.  try again.

Ah, okay, I googled "schumacher ski accident" and yes, they are reporting it here.  CNN.com, as well as a bunch of other US outlets mention it.  He's not dead yet, but I still say try again, because now that they're reporting his near-death accident, he's no longer unknown to the public.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

Which makes Schumacher's name here even more appropriate since "Racing" is so popular here. But yes, NASCAR is the popular racing competition in the U.S. 
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

Well, if not Michael Schumacher, than Sebastian Vettel..

As to soccer - it should probably be a player who isn't tied to Nike (which also puts Franck Ribery off the list). Bastian Schweinsteiger might work, though. Or Zinedine Zidane, to the extent Asian kids still remember him.
Otherwise - is soccer really so non-popular in the US? I mean, there is a bit of Latino population in the states, plus a few people with Italian roots...

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

Otherwise - is soccer really so non-popular in the US?

No, it's hugely popular.  My son plays soccer (during season anyway.  it's not the season just now).  The neighbor plays soccer.  Every kid on the block play soccer.  Everyone I know under 15 plays soccer.  As a player sport, it's phenomenally popular.

As a spectator sport?  Well, let's count the number of Americans who watch soccer players that they're not actually related to:

There's Phil and, er,

um, did I mention Phil?

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

Yeah. I doubt F1 is taken seriously outside of Europe.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 07:14:02 PM »

I believe I have admitted to my infatuation with her in the past (many years ago, to be honest). I happen to enjoy "gay music". Why should it only be the gays that enjoy upbeat pop music?
If anything the straights should like Kylie. She's a stunner, particularly given her age.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »

Who is Michael Schumacher? 

You might have a winner.  I've heard of most of those players, even though I don't follow soccer very closely (except for my son's team).  I've heard of the Indian actors, but then I do watch Indian movies.  I haven't heard of Sachin Tendlukar, though.  Maybe he's not in any of the Bollywood movies I've seen. 

Of course we all remember Kylie Minogue.  Ever since I was about 20 years old she was pretty standard MTV fare, and I have to imagine that she is at least as well known as Culture Club.  (Although I'd probably have answered that she is an American, if asked.  Never put much thought into it.  I guess she's not, based on her mention in this thread, but I'll wager that she's from one of the anglophone countries anyway.) 

I've even heard the name Kate Bush.  I don't know what she does or where she's from, but I recall having heard that name, probably on this forum.  (Singer, maybe, or actor?  Could be a politician I suppose.)

Still, I don't think I've ever heard the name Michael Schumacher.  And I see that Phil claims not to have heard of him till recently, and Phil knows everything about The Beautiful Game, so I'm guessing that he's not a footballer.  I'd assume that he's either a famous German (or Austrian or Swiss) actor or singer or mass murderer.

Kate Bush is a singer, yeah.

Tendulkar isn't an actor. The only Americans who would know about him are those of West Indian or subcontinental origin I imagine.

And as others have said, Schumacher was a race car driver.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »

Kate Bush is a singer, yeah.

Tendulkar isn't an actor. The only Americans who would know about him are those of West Indian or subcontinental origin I imagine.

And as others have said, Schumacher was a race car driver.

haha.  Thanks.  I may not give a damn about soccer players unless they're my relatives, but I know bollywood movies.  I watch them regularly, FWIW.  I'd already figured out that Tendulkar wasn't an Indian movie star.  Actually, I've googled all of them by now, but thanks for the response. 
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »

It's rather popular in South America, particularly Brazil. See Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi, Felipe Massa, Nelson Piquet.. and of course Juan Manuel Fangio of Argentina.

Or maybe I should say "was," I think Massa is the only Brazilian currently active, but I could be mistaken.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies