Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:38:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most famous person worldwide who isn't (that) famous in America  (Read 2842 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: December 29, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

If you are looking for a person thats famous in almost all countries outside the US its bound to be a soccer player.

I would say Lionel Messi.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »

Well, there are plenty of Indian and Chinese superstars known by 1 billion+ people, but as I understod the question he was looking for someone famous in basically the entire world outside the US, but not in America (ie celebrity related American exceptionalism). And that narrows the field considerably.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 05:33:30 PM by politicus »

Okay, if Messi and Ronaldo are too well known in the US its another footballer.

Premier League is the most viewed soccer league world wide and Manchester United has the biggest fanbase in Asia where 60%+ of the worlds population lives, so I could see Wayne Rooney or Robin van Persie being the most famous.

Otherwise one from the Spanish national team: Iniesta, Xavi or David Villa. Probably Iniesta.

Neymar could be an outsider for the title.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2013, 12:24:01 AM by politicus »

I suppose it comes down to how we measure the question, because the most famous cricket players are going to be known by less than 1% of Americans, while the most famous soccer players are going to be much higher.

Not really, its well defined.

A better thread title would be the most famous person worldwide that isn't famous in America or a sportsman IMO.

I think Messi/Ronaldo/etc. would be a better fit than Tendulkar, because soccer has far more universal appeal than cricket.

Looks like you haven't read the thread. We have already eliminated Ronaldo and Messi, since they are too well known.

Anyway OP defines it as:

Basically, who is a celebrity or public figure who is incredibly well known through most of the world but not the US?

Cricket players are never known in "most of the world", so they are out by definition. The same goes for Asian, African, Latin American and European actors and singers.

As previously stated I cant see there is any other possibility than a soccer player ranking just under Messi/Ronaldo in fame.

Soccer is the only field that almost everybody outside the US follows and relatively few Americans do.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies