Facebook is 'dead and buried', replaced by simpler networks, study finds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:45:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Facebook is 'dead and buried', replaced by simpler networks, study finds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Facebook is 'dead and buried', replaced by simpler networks, study finds  (Read 2219 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/facebook-is-dead-and-buried-replaced-by-simpler-networks-study-finds-20131228-300f7.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd say "good riddance" except it sounds like what's replacing it are even worse.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »

So basically I joined it right at the moment when it stopped being cool. LOL Tongue
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »

It's all about Twitter anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »

So basically I joined it right at the moment when it stopped being cool. LOL Tongue
Maybe you with the straw that broke the camel's back? Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

Facebook never should have allowed the integration of dumb game apps like FarmVille and Family Feud. Or, at the very least, Facebook should have removed the ability of these apps to post things on your wall. These games are right in the wheelhouse of sixty-year-old women who have nothing to do with their spare time... As a result, they've turned to Facebook in droves. Meanwhile, teens hate the tackiness of it. That's my opinion, anyway.

Still, I like Facebook. Twitter is better for getting a stream of news that's directly tailored to my interests, but it certainly falls short in a number of ways.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »

As I said about 18 months ago, once people who understood it started making jokes about it, it was dead. Same thing as myspace - what is now a selfie, my generation of late teens called a myspace photo as a joke, saying 'myspace' instead of 'cheese' or whatever. The fact was that we were already rejecting myspace quite completely.

Facebook will remain relevant though, as what it was originally intended to be - a contacts book with some pictures and the ability to send messages. It's easy to forget that back when it was genuinely embraced, it was never about status updates, and all about collating your photos and writing things on people's walls when you needed to contact them.

And, of course, stalking hot guys.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »

Deactivated Facebook about a month ago and I've never regretted anything less. Truly an awful site.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »

Unfortunately, given my multi-national existence, there is little alternative for me yet.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »

Unfortunately, given my multi-national existence, there is little alternative for me yet.

This for me as well. I purged my friends a while back to just hear from family, close friends, and people who posted interesting content. In the meantime its ubiquity makes it useful for staying in touch with people stateside and that's about it. It's otherwise pretty useless and embarrassing.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »

Mine has been deactivated since August. I really only used it to creep on people from HS and college who I don't keep in touch with anymore but who I'm still FB friends with.
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

Funnily enough, I started to abandon facebook when my parents and other older relatives started to take it up. I'd deactivate my account, but I keep it up just to humour them.

Also, it seems to have become a mainstay in the life of some older unemployed people I know, and the ones who are now employed are still addicted to it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »

Pretty much the only reason I have Facebook is to keep in touch with a few people. Once they get Twitter I'm deleting it.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 10:40:50 PM »

Facebook seems to be more wide-reaching and ingrained in society than past social media websites. I don't expect it to go anywhere.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »

Everyone in my age group has gone to Instagram, which I don't have. Everyone still uses Facebook, though.
Facebook will remain relevant though, as what it was originally intended to be - a contacts book with some pictures and the ability to send messages. It's easy to forget that back when it was genuinely embraced, it was never about status updates, and all about collating your photos and writing things on people's walls when you needed to contact them.
This..
Facebook never should have allowed the integration of dumb game apps like FarmVille and Family Feud. Or, at the very least, Facebook should have removed the ability of these apps to post things on your wall. These games are right in the wheelhouse of sixty-year-old women who have nothing to do with their spare time... As a result, they've turned to Facebook in droves. Meanwhile, teens hate the tackiness of it. That's my opinion, anyway.

Still, I like Facebook. Twitter is better for getting a stream of news that's directly tailored to my interests, but it certainly falls short in a number of ways.
.....and this! That first paragraph was gold. I'm not into Twitter, but I may create one soon.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

Facebook has been replaced by Twitter and Snapchat over the past two years among my friend group as a social network used to communicate on a daily basis, but Facebook being far more wide-ranging (people who you don't know as well are friends; not necessarily the case on Twitter and especially Snapchat) means that it still has a use.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »

Snapchat strikes me as pretty pointless. If you have to resort to it then you shouldn't be sending it in the first place.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

This may be true amongst those under 20, but given how ubiquitous Facebook has become in the lives of those over 20, it's hard to see it going away anytime soon. Keep in mind that Yahoo! is still the most used mail client in America. Web brands take a while to die.

Snapchat also has no obvious moneymaking potential, and Twitter's is pretty shaky.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »

I don't care what social media is on top, so long as we never again have to deal with people getting upset because they aren't in our profile's "top friends."

I remember when my friend Daniel removed me from his "top friends" because his boyfriend wouldn't let him have any other gay men in his profiles' "top friends." Sad
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »

Wait, so where do I have to go now?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 05:48:37 PM »

Twitter is absolutely useless.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

I thought you were strongly morally opposed to Facebook. And you continue to ignore us commoners... Sad

I've had my issues with some Facebook changes but I never considered getting rid of it. I use Twitter mostly to get Soccer news and post about Soccer (though as anyone here that's also friends with me on Facebook will tell you, that definitely carries over to Facebook).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »

Facebook seems to be more wide-reaching and ingrained in society than past social media websites. I don't expect it to go anywhere.

Yeah, the rise and fall of MySpace was very clear cut. I can't see things going down like that when it comes to Facebook. It's already remained relevant for considerably longer and literally almost everyone I know uses it. Plus, I know a lot of people (like myself) who will never use Twitter. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 06:13:24 PM »

I like Twitter more than Facebook because it's anonymous. Facebook just seems like a place for people to brag about their pets or other crap no-one cares about.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2013, 06:58:45 PM by Oak Hills »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's odd, I've never heard of WhatsApp (or maybe I have and forgot about it). This is probably because I'm a Luddite who doesn't use any of these sites, but I hear my classmates talk incessantly about "Snapchatting" each other, yet I've never heard of the former app.

Anyway, in keeping with my luddite uncoolness, I never had Facebook in the first place.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »

Well, I still like Facebook, and have no intention of spending any time on Twitter or Instagram. Unsure
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies