Is "Blurred Lines" about rape?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:30:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is "Blurred Lines" about rape?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Because apparently no one agrees with me
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is "Blurred Lines" about rape?  (Read 2277 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »

Simple question. Save the flamewar for the other thread.

Yes.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »

ugh...not again. You think this thread is going to be any different?

But yea probably but it wouldn't be the first hit song to be about something awful (as illustrated here). There's no solution; it's the artist's right to write about whatever they want.

You know what though? Maybe it's not. A song can mean something different to anyone, especially the writers.  
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »

Death of the brah-thor?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »

Probably, though as Kemp said there have been plenty of hit songs with...questionable lyrics.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

Check this out.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

Saw this. It's awesome.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »

Who cares.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 05:56:30 PM by What the Hell is Kwanzaa? »

I vote yes.

The lyics, if anyone cares:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »

Some of the forumites have pointed particularly to the lyrics "I know you want it", which is a dumb argument because its not as if that's the first song to ever have those words.
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »

My God, R2D2, why can't you just let it go? You've mentioned this sentiment in at least two other threads, and I won't be surprised if you mention it in more. What are you trying to do? Prove how liberal and women-friendly you are? You just seem to be obsessive and neurotic. You started this thread because "no one agrees with you." Who cares if no one agrees with you? Well, apparently half the people who voted DO agree with you, so now you get to feel good about yourself and prove that you're not the only one who thinks it's about rape and just LEAVE IT. If any OTHER rape victims noticed how often you've mentioned rape and how you bring it up any chance you get, they may be triggered to remember something they don't want to, just like I was. I know that I can't expect the whole world to be sensitive for me, so I deal with it, but presumably you don't like the song because you view it as insensitive; therefore, to not be a hypocrite, you should not bring it up anymore.

TLDR: Speaking as a rape victim to a rape victim sympathizer, DROP THE SUBJECT.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »

I only made this poll because Harry said no one would agree with me. Just wanna make sure.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »

Not sure.  I'm pretty sure that the Tool song "Prison Sex" is about rape.

But I've been known to misinterpret lyrics.  For most of my youth I was absolutely convinced that "Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie" was about the Bay of Pigs incident.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

Well the line does seem blurred between what is sex and what is rape.

I think it does, though does it exactly promote it? A lot of hit songs have well....questionable lyrical content.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 11:34:49 PM »

I only made this poll because Harry said no one would agree with me. Just wanna make sure.

I never said that no one on the forum would agree with you.  I said that very few people in the nation as a whole agree with you, evidenced by the songs' popularity and acclaim, and the lack of any real protest about it.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:39:56 AM »

I never said that no one on the forum would agree with you.  I said that very few people in the nation as a whole agree with you, evidenced by the songs' popularity and acclaim, and the lack of any real protest about it.

"If this song was about rape, people would hate it." That's your assumption, is it not? Let me ask you this: why have so much faith in society's moral compass? We humans gave the world slavery, segregation, subordination, murder, exploitation, AND rape and had tacit acceptance of all those things at some points in some cultures (and even today in some). Does American society in 2013 have some perfectly tuned moral compass that we would be able to identify any immoral behavior? No, we, as a society, are simply not perfect.

^And do note that entire paragraph does NOT assume that the song is even about rape. Assume for a moment that we know for a fact that the song isn't about rape. Is America's acceptance of it a representation of the song's non-negative values? Why should it be?

But here, let's get down to the real question. Is this song about rape?

I'd say that I'm hesitant to answer "Yes" but I understand why one might. This song is obviously, obviously about a man's belief that he KNOWS exactly what a girl wants. If anything, he is lamenting the social construct that some women are not overtly sexual and underneath a more ambiguous exterior, really just want to "tug him". So it's not overt sexuality, but it's certainly covert. Now, I think this is a bit of hubris, and that's the ultimate downfall of the song. No man should believe that every woman "wants it." THAT'S the type of thinking that LEADS to rape. Do I think Robin Thicke wants to rape people? No. Do I think this song reinforces the idea that men believe they have the responsibility to come on to women and help them overcome their sexual repression through a unilateral expression of libido? Yes, and I think it's deleterious to American culture. Men should NOT believe that, and stuff like THAT leads to rape.

I don't really like the term "rape culture", but I have to say that this song is a textbook reinforcement of "rape culture." That doesn't make it "about" rape to me, but it's about rape culture, which is the next worst thing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

Pretty blatantly so, yes.

(I mistakenly voted no before fully reading the question though)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »

Whether or not it's about rape, the lyrics of the song are pretty gross.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

It plays on the old trope that women play coy and it's men's role to bring out their sexual selves. Hardly anything that hasn't been played out hundreds of times before in popular culture and thousands of times in history.

Every man has to "guess" that the woman "wants 'it' "- otherwise no man would ever ask a woman for a date! When you ask her for a date, you're acting on the assumption that she wants it, even though you truly don't know. It's a leap of faith. In form, Robin Thicke isn't doing anything different with these lyrics: the only difference is how overtly sexual it is.

The issue is how much persistence is admirable and how much crosses the line. Personally, I found the boy in The Graduate a lot creepier than Blurred Lines. Particularly when he declares 'I'm gonna marry Elaine Robinson' taking her absent consent entirely for granted.

But it's not my feelings about it that matter. Here's a story from another perspective, of a woman who decided the song's lyrics were problematic:
http://www.ihollaback.org/blog/2013/10/28/bridgets-story-breakdown-blurred-lines/
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Even if not intended to be about rape, it is too triggering to let slide and too pervasive in everyday life to ignore. Voted no bc of intent, but that doesn't make it any less vile.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »

It plays on the old trope that women play coy and it's men's role to bring out their sexual selves. Hardly anything that hasn't been played out hundreds of times before in popular culture and thousands of times in history.

Every man has to "guess" that the woman "wants 'it' "- otherwise no man would ever ask a woman for a date! When you ask her for a date, you're acting on the assumption that she wants it, even though you truly don't know. It's a leap of faith. In form, Robin Thicke isn't doing anything different with these lyrics: the only difference is how overtly sexual it is.

The issue is how much persistence is admirable and how much crosses the line. Personally, I found the boy in The Graduate a lot creepier than Blurred Lines. Particularly when he declares 'I'm gonna marry Elaine Robinson' taking her absent consent entirely for granted.

But it's not my feelings about it that matter. Here's a story from another perspective, of a woman who decided the song's lyrics were problematic:
http://www.ihollaback.org/blog/2013/10/28/bridgets-story-breakdown-blurred-lines/

This, plus: http://www.marshall.edu/wcenter/sexual-assault/rape-culture/ <-The song is a part of rape culture, a widely accepted status quo. Part of the backlash to this discussion, from those who voted "No" in the poll, is tied to the reaction many have upon their introduction to the reality of rape culture.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

An awful lot of severe overthinking in this thread.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3YjIB4wspU
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »

Which is an awful lot better than severe underthinking.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »

Which is an awful lot better than severe underthinking.

They end up being about the same thing in terms of useful content.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

Yes and it would still be a morally and aesthetically godawful song if it wasn't.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies