Former Office of the Midwest Governor (Closed as of January 7th, 2015)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Former Office of the Midwest Governor (Closed as of January 7th, 2015)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Former Office of the Midwest Governor (Closed as of January 7th, 2015)  (Read 23133 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:17 PM »

Kind of reminds me of three years ago when there were a bunch of open borders/protectionist OWS types running around. Wink
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr. Governor, this bill has passed the Althing.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Archduke. Before I make a decision on what to do with this bill, let me just state that the current abortion law in place that was passed all the way back in 2005 effectively banned abortion after 14 weeks and threatened the physician with up to 5 years behind bars. The Midwest should be a progressive region and not one that condemns through statute a woman's undeniable right to choose whether she wants to have an abortion procedure or not. In some cases, a woman doesn't realize that she was pregnant. In others the woman's life might be in danger if she doesn't have an abortion. The best way to solve this is progress, not punishment.

I don't support restricting abortion rights. I support expanding them, but to an extent and this bill meets my expectations. There's good ground between how long the woman should have to legally seek an abortion and also morally thinking about the fetus inside.

I've thought long and hard on this bill and giving exceptions to the controversial and heart-breaking third trimester abortion does make me a little relentless to sign this, but in the long run, I'm a male and these are just my personal views. Women deserve to have their personal reproductive health protected in our region and I commend Representative Gass3268's actions on doing just this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

x LeBron FitzGerald
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »

Governor, how do you respond to efforts by some in your region to recall you?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2014, 12:38:10 AM »

Governor, how do you respond to efforts by some in your region to recall you?
Before I say anything on that, let me just say a few things. I was elected by popular vote the Governor of this great region twice already in my short 3 month span as Governor so far, so I believe it's clear that the Midwest supports the job I've been doing as Governor. There have been some downsides and Governors will often have that early on.

On an economic and social standpoint as my term as Governor so far though, we have a strong economy with low unemployment, we've upheld worker's rights to join a union, and we're the first region with comprehensive immigration reform. I would hope all of you, my constituents, can trust me when I say the Midwest has been moving forward under my and Senator TNF's leadership.

But with this recall, which is a constitutional right under our regional constitution, I don't agree with the person who organized it, Hashemite, and I don't agree with the basis on it. I'll address some of the concerns for why some of our citizens want me recalled:

1) Many are calling me a party hack as of late. Let me be clear though, the Governor is not a partisan job. As Governor, I've addressed and taken action on crises that happen in the region (ex. the unfortunate CO school shooting we had a few months ago), I've been the principle regional election officer in opening booths and certifying results, participate in legislative debates, and sign off and veto the legislation. So far on that last one, I've signed every piece of legislation that's been brought to my desk, and most of it has been left-leaning progressive bills, but I also think about what's best in the long run for our region. I usually don't get involved in national politics, and sure, you can call me a party hack for Labor all you want, but the Midwest is a large Labor region, and this region deserves a governor who reflects it's views. I've made mistakes in the past, but my party orientation should not be a reason to recall me.

2) Another recall reason by former Rep. Hashemite is because of my view on creationism in schools. Recalling somebody over a personal belief, let alone a view that I was taught growing up in a very conservative, very religious family, is inexcusable. I've said time and time again, I don't plan to act on that issue. As long as I'm governor, go ahead and teach evolution in schools. It's not on my agenda to change that.

3) Another reason by the former Representative was that I unleashed a "dirty war" on a political opponent. I presume that's referring to my campaign in July for Midwest Althing against Hashemite. Sometimes you need to understand that politics can unfortunately get dirty sometimes. I apologize if I offended you from that. But just on fact checking, I ran that campaign on the basis that you contributed little to our region and would be inactive if elected. In that two months in the Althing, you were in fact very inactive which hurt the Althing's activity considerably.

4) The final reason and a reason stated by a lot of people so far is that I was re-elected on "flimsy grounds." As far as I'm concerned, former Rep. Hashemite used this as a recall reason because he didn't like the outcome of the election results. For those of you who saw my certifying of the October Governor election results, Snowstalker's ballot was first of all invalid due to his de-registration from Atlasia, which left the race at an 11-11 tie. Now I'm aware of how write-ins work, and I'm completely aware that Hashemite declared in the Candidate Declaration Thread that he was accepting write-ins as "Charles Darwin." However, Hashemite is required for RG registration purposes to also register that new name in the New Register Thread. Former Rep. Hashemite eventually did do that, but not until after those write-ins for "Charles Darwin" had been cast. As a result, in following of election procedure, that means those write-ins still count, but they were cast for a non-Atlasian, the real Charles Darwin whose been dead for over 150 years. However, Hashemite did indicate he was accepting write-ins in his vote as his initial username during the election, Hashemite, and I did accept those votes in the final vote tally. It's my responsibility as Governor to protect the integrity of the voting booth and I believe I did just that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »

The Midwest supports the job I've been doing as Governor.

It obviously doesn't, or else you wouldn't be in this situation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

Good God. When I used to rule Midwest there was no such crap like this.

Now I regret leaving this beautiful region to teenagers Sad
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2014, 12:10:17 AM »

Friends, the Midwest Althing Elections have officially started! We have 3 seats up for grabs, and 5 candidates are running in this competitive election. It has been quite some time since the Midwest has had competitive races, and now with this, this will hopefully restore the hope that some may have lost in our region.

I urge you all to go out and support incumbent Representatives Gass3268 and Vega in 2 of these 3 open seats. For your 3rd preference, vote however your heart desires, but it's certainly clear we need a progressive Althing.

I've been disappointed as of late in one of our Representatives attempting to scale back on the number of paid parental days for taking care of a newborn child which are a parent's right and sponsoring an amendment before that would in effect disenfranchise voters in the Midwest. That Representative is former SoIA GAworth who likes to stress a lot how bipartisan and moderate he is, but his record in the Althing would say differently in his efforts to fight for conservative policies. Now GAworth, who recently left the Althing so he could get a Cabinet post, wants to come back for another term in the Althing, but wants to use that office as a one week stepping stone so he can attempt to win the Governorship. He's turned his back on this region before, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that again if he wins even more power.

I don't plan on using this office as a stepping stone in the middle of my term, and I don't plan on ever being absent from being the People's Governor. I'm committing myself to not running in any upcoming national Senate elections. I brought this region back up to code with activity standards and our region is on the right track! Cheesy
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2014, 12:12:16 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2014, 12:59:40 PM by Governor Simfan »

Can you not spell?

And also:

I'd nearly forgotten that you have been ignoring my question about this:

I reiterate: Why do you support teaching creationism instead of evolution in science classrooms?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »

He's turned his back on this region before, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that again if he wins even more power.

Nothing could be more false.
GAworth loves the Midwest. If he had wanted more power, he would remain in the Lumine's cabinet, but he decided to return in the Althing and he declared his candidacy for the Althing first of the start of the recall petition.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

"Cabinet's" lol
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

I love the third line, "he's pledged to not serve a full term if elected in November", no ----. He's going to have to resign his seat if he's elected Governor.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »

I love the third line, "he's pledged to not serve a full term if elected in November", no ----. He's going to have to resign his seat if he's elected Governor.
By "this November" I was referring to the Althing elections, not the recall election. If he's elected to the Althing, he'll only be in that seat for a few days before he goes trying to run for something else and higher up. That's what we call an opportunist, and not someone who cares about the well-being of the Midwest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But while we're on that topic, I have a few more things to state about my opponent. He signed a petition organized by Hashemite, the former Rep. who led a violent revolution in the Midwest and prevented many South Midwesterners from receiving the vital goods they needed to survive. Hashemite was also one of the most inactive Most Serene Representatives in the history of the Midwest. And this is the guy who GAworth looks up to.

He states he wants to "Make the Midwest Strong" if he's Governor as well, but his own campaign manager, the Secretary of the Interior Flo, is a resident of the IDS Region, not the Midwest. This should be a campaign and decision made by the Midwest people and them alone; not outsiders who could careless about our region. Secretary Flo has been running several negative attacks against me including many that are personal, yet he has never once stepped into Midwest soil.

He's refused to state why he even is supporting the recall against me. He wants this recall campaign to be about me, but he hasn't given one good reason why I should be recalled. Meanwhile, I've defended my record as Governor including the weak recall reasons given by the organizer of the recall.

My campaign is releasing a new ad that shows "the centrist hero" GAworth is really a conservative vote suppressor. Our region cares about our citizens, including the less fortunate and minorities, and we need progressive leadership to move this region forwards, not backwards. The right to vote is not a political issue, but GAworth attempted to make it one.

GAworth
United States

« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2014, 11:59:11 PM »

As a young man of the South, I know what Jim Crow is, I understand the devastating and terrible repercussions. You clearly have no clue what Jim Crow is about if you believe that creating districts is Jim Crow. Also you believed the bill was a good idea. If you say you have changed your mind about that too, then I have to ask, "what do you stand for?"
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »

Voting couldn't be more important in the Midwest then this week! The recall election takes place a little later this week where I'm hoping you all consider continuing the progress and substantial activity that we brought back in full throttle during my tenure as Governor.

Right now though, there's still one day left to exercise your right to vote in the Midwest Althing legislative elections! We have 5 declared candidates running for 3 seats, and it's certainly just too close to call. I urge you all to go out and vote for two bold, progressive incumbents in Gass3268 and Vega as they are what the Midwest is about. Expanding opportunities for women and immigrants or giving our workers a fair wage that they can live on.

Together, we can make the Midwest thrive like never before, and a "no" vote on the recall as well as a progressive-controlled Althing can make that happen. I hope to see you all at the polls! Cheesy
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »

He's refused to state why he even is supporting the recall against me. He wants this recall campaign to be about me, but he hasn't given one good reason why I should be recalled. Meanwhile, I've defended my record as Governor including the weak recall reasons given by the organizer of the recall.

Would you like my honest opinion?

You've done a terrible job as Governor and everybody has seen it, you've completely shifted your beliefs from "I'm an Independent" to "Yay Labor" and it is clearly because you were afraid from a primary by Labor, and you still are afraid. You also said on your wiki page that you supported teaching kids creationism. You refused to give anyone answers for weeks, those two things are recall worthy. Then you completely overreact to a recall attempt and literally call your opponent supportive of Jim Crow. Not to mention the backstabbing you did to people like Cris, and the fact that you defend doing something like that is astounding and truly speaks about your character.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »

Would you like my honest opinion?

You've done a terrible job as Governor and everybody has seen it, you've completely shifted your beliefs from "I'm an Independent" to "Yay Labor" and it is clearly because you were afraid from a primary by Labor, and you still are afraid. You also said on your wiki page that you supported teaching kids creationism. You refused to give anyone answers for weeks, those two things are recall worthy. Then you completely overreact to a recall attempt and literally call your opponent supportive of Jim Crow. Not to mention the backstabbing you did to people like Cris, and the fact that you defend doing something like that is astounding and truly speaks about your character.

None of those things are worthy material for a recall. Those are personality disputes and policy disagreements, the latter of which never actually manifested into any tangible policy discussion.

Should Pingvin be recalled in the IDS because he has placed offensive anti-Semite material in his signature in the past?

Should Lumine be impeached from office because he subscribes to awful parody YouTube accounts that make racist jokes and describe Bachelet as being literally worse than Pinochet?

Should all the Pacific Government be recalled for abruptly abandoning their posts for two weeks (something that actually affects gameplay) in recent memory?

Should oakvale be recalled for managing a political party, constantly engaging in partisan discussions and consistently offering judicial opinion all under the guise of "I'm not acting in my official capacity as SC Justice right now"?

Should people like MadmanMotley and JoMCaR be recalled from offices they may hold in the future because they were convicted in the past of sockpuppetry and left their regions' legislatures with unexpected vacancies?

Should Potus2036 be recalled from office because he has been a serial abandoner of offices and engaged in (while not illegal, unethical) behavior to persuade people to invalidate their votes in the last MW Governor election?

Should you be impeached for spending more time focusing on these witch-hunts than performing your duties as SoIA?

Should Simfan be recalled because he is just plain awful?

I could go on and on, but I assume all of this will fall on deaf ears. The answer - in a large majority of these cases - is that no, obviously these people shouldn't be recalled, and the same applies to the Governor's case, too.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:31 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 07:16:46 AM by oakvale »

Should oakvale be recalled for managing a political party, constantly engaging in partisan discussions and consistently offering judicial opinion all under the guise of "I'm not acting in my official capacity as SC Justice right now"?

I'm not particularly invested, personally, in the fate of the Midwest gubernatorial office, but...

I'm not at all clear on whether the Supreme Court can issue judgements on a regional constitution, particularly when the Midwest has its own judiciary, but please offer a single other instance in which I've offered any form of judicial opinion, let alone "consistently" done so.

As for the former point I'd again ask what I asked DemPGH when he made his flimsy case for recusal in Averroes v. TNF - point out a single decision I have participated in that was in any way influenced by my partisan politics. I'll again note that quite literally all the decisions I've authored have been unanimous judgements.

When Nix granted me the honour of an appointment to the Supreme Court, I made him one promise - that I wouldn't let him down. I would hope that he continues to believe he made the right decision. The role of Supreme Court Justice is something I take very seriously, and I'm not fond of the insinuation that I use that exalted position for partisan gain.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2014, 07:33:54 AM »

The right to vote is not a political issue, but GAworth attempted to make it one.

But you supported the GAworth's amendment.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200506.msg4338224#msg4338224

"I'm also in full support of this amendment [...]"
"Districts could make elections more fun and orderly, and I would personally support implementing them [...]"
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »

The right to vote is not a political issue, but GAworth attempted to make it one.

But you supported the GAworth's amendment.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200506.msg4338224#msg4338224

"I'm also in full support of this amendment [...]"
"Districts could make elections more fun and orderly, and I would personally support implementing them [...]"

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2014, 10:15:10 AM by President LumineVonReuental »

Should Lumine be impeached from office because he subscribes to awful parody YouTube accounts that make racist jokes and describe Bachelet as being literally worse than Pinochet?

Not I want to participate actively in the massive debate, but, what are you talking about?

EDIT: Please don't tell me you actually took the job of looking at what I do outside the forum...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »

God you are just being a big dummy.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »

The crimes against graphic design in this thread merit impeachment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies