Do you know what Kwanzaa is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:12:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you know what Kwanzaa is?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you
Yes, I do

No, something about candels and funny hats?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Do you know what Kwanzaa is?  (Read 1586 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »

A fake holiday that blatantly rips off Christmas and Hanukkah.  I have nothing against celebrating black culture, but isn't that why we have Black History month in February?

Yes, there's no need to celebrate black history or culture in any of the other 11 months.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »

A fake holiday that blatantly rips off Christmas and Hanukkah.  I have nothing against celebrating black culture, but isn't that why we have Black History month in February?

Yes, there's no need to celebrate black history or culture in any of the other 11 months.

Oldiesfreak seems like one of those who would complain about the lack of a "White History Month".
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »

Nobody is asking you to celebrate Kwanzaa.  If you showed up at someone's kwanzaa celebration in Oakland or Cabrini Green, I think they would ask you to leave.  Kwanzaa is a black holiday for black people.  The idea is not that black people want you to celebrate their culture, they reject your culture and want to create their own. 

The way mormonism is bottom-up folk-theology, attempting to create a sense of identity for a group of people in America, Kwanzaa is folk-ethnic nationalism.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 03:15:41 PM »

Who do you know who actually observes Black History Month in any meaningful way, other than some but not all or even most public schools?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »

Only about 12% of blacks celebrate Kwanzaa per the most recent study on it so yeah, kind of a joke holiday. Dont see how it can be called a ripoff of Christmas and Hannukah though as it has nothing in common besides being held around the same time of year. For that matter Christmas and Hannukah have little in common besides time of the year at that.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »

Oldiesfreak seems like one of those who would complain about the lack of a "White History Month".
I don't care if there's a White History Month.  And if people want to celebrate Kwanzaa, then that's their right as Americans, and I respect that.  It's not for me, though.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »

I don't care if there's a White History Month.  And if people want to celebrate Kwanzaa, then that's their right as Americans, and I respect that.  It's not for me, though.

That's the whole point of kwanzaa.  It's for black folks.  White people don't and aren't supposed to celebrate kwanzaa.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

That's the whole point of kwanzaa.  It's for black folks.  White people don't and aren't supposed to celebrate kwanzaa.

Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 10:17:55 PM »

Sad
"Kill the White Man! Kill him! Kill him! Kill him! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill his babies! Kill his white babies! Kill!"-Momma Lookaboobooday.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »

So should only Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day?  Should only Germans celebrate Octoberfest?  Should only Mexicans celebrate Cinco De Mayo?  (As for the last one, I understand why the French wouldn't join in the festivities.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2014, 11:24:02 AM by shua »

I don't care if there's a White History Month.  And if people want to celebrate Kwanzaa, then that's their right as Americans, and I respect that. It's not for me, though.

so your defense of Kwanzaa is that it's racist?

edit: oh, totally misread the connotation of your posts.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »

So should only Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day?  Should only Germans celebrate Octoberfest?  Should only Mexicans celebrate Cinco De Mayo?  (As for the last one, I understand why the French wouldn't join in the festivities.)

No.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, kwanzaa is a holiday born out of black nationalism.  That isn't an ideology interested in multiculturalism.  I know some of these people because I live in a black neighborhood.  It's essentially a clique of a few 50-70 year old black folks who want to complain about how bad white people are and pay lip service to some bastardized version of African culture.  I honestly do think this type of ideology is essentially racist, parochial and pointless. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 11:37:40 PM »

The vast majority of blacks don't celebrate it either.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »

Honestly, no, I don't really know much about it. But I don't like most of the little bit that I have heard about it...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »

Never heard of it before I found this thread.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »

Never heard of it before I found this thread.

It's a random tidbit American children are taught in school in the name of multiculturalism. At least when I was little we were taught "The Holidays" are Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa (I suppose nowdays we'd have to add the Winter Solstace and Festivus). Strangely they tend to generally leave out that almost no one actually celebrates Kwanzaa.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 10:26:53 PM »

If Festivus should be taught in school, then so should Talk Like A Pirate Day. Both of those are fake internet holidays. Kwanzaa is a fake real life holiday.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies