NE1: Uniform December Election Day Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Uniform December Election Day Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Uniform December Election Day Amendment (Passed)  (Read 705 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
« edited: January 03, 2014, 06:52:46 PM by cinyc »

Uniform December Election Day Amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Speaker cinyc

Debate shall be open for 72 hours until around 5PM Eastern Time on January 2, 2014, unless modified or extended.  Speaker cinyc is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  Because there is no other pending legislation in the proposed legislation thread, no penalty will be imposed if the sponsor does not speak.

The floor is open to debate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker. 

The purpose of this bill is to sync the federal and regional election days in the month of December.  Late-month, non-synched December elections lead to less participation and an inconvenient start time for the Assembly, usually the week around the holidays.  Synchronizing the December Northeast election to the earlier federal election day should lead to greater participation and a smoother start to the new Northeast Assembly session.

The amendment to Article II, Section 5 is necessary to create an earlier cutoff for declaring candidacy.  The Wednesday preceding the third Friday of the month would be after the December election.  Declarations need to be made earlier than a week before the election so that the CJO can send out any requested absentee ballots a week before election day.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »

With reference to the Uniform December Election Day Amendment, this amendment makes sense.

Due to the holiday season, December is a month where many people are unavailable and have many other engagements. 

Therefore, special provisions should be made to accommodate these circumstances, such as in this amendment.

The only changes I would make would be for clarification, wherever it states his should be changed to his or hers, and wherever it states he should be changed to he or she.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2014, 03:52:02 PM by cinyc »

I will then offer an amendment to make all elections uniform with federal elections:

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »

A citizen wants to confirm that by moving the December election earlier by one week, representatives will swear in one week earlier and will serve one more week than normal (and those elected in October one less week).
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »

A citizen wants to confirm that by moving the December election earlier by one week, representatives will swear in one week earlier and will serve one more week than normal (and those elected in October one less week).

I'm curious as to cinyc's intent--but I'd think the terms would remain the same.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »

This amendment doesn't change Section 6 which reads:

Since this amendment changes the election dates, it seems to me that Poirot is right to say that this would mean irregular terms.

I think this would be changed if a line which says something like: Except in December when the newly elected representatives shall assume office on the 2nd Thursday following the election.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

This amendment doesn't change Section 6 which reads:

Since this amendment changes the election dates, it seems to me that Poirot is right to say that this would mean irregular terms.

I think this would be changed if a line which says something like: Except in December when the newly elected representatives shall assume office on the 2nd Thursday following the election.

Good catch. Cinyc, would you be okay with amending the bill to show that?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »

The sponsor of the bill talked about the inconvenient start time for the assembly so he probably wants to move it also one week early.

The purpose of this bill is to sync the federal and regional election days in the month of December.  Late-month, non-synched December elections lead to less participation and an inconvenient start time for the Assembly, usually the week around the holidays.

The citizen just wanted to make sure for clarification when the new session would begin.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »

Like in federal elections, my intention was for the new term to start immediately after the election, which for the Northeast is the Thursday following the election.  That would allow for a break around Christmas, instead of swearing in new members and electing a Speaker around Christmas.  

So I would deem any amendment to change the starting date of the December session unfriendly.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Like in federal elections, my intention was for the new term to start immediately after the election, which for the Northeast is the Thursday following the election.  That would allow for a break around Christmas, instead of swearing in new members and electing a Speaker around Christmas.  

So I would deem any amendment to change the starting date of the December session unfriendly.

I'm fine with the bill as is in that case. The session would be a little awkward/shorter, but I think we will benefit from having the election farther away from the holiday.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2013, 09:32:08 PM by cinyc »

One thing I noticed is that our regular election day isn't necessarily the same as the federal election day if the second-to-last Thursday is immediately before the last Friday of the month.  (i.e. if February 28 during a non-leap year is a Thursday, our elections would be held starting February 21, while Federal elections would be held starting a week earlier on February 14.  This is because the Northeast voting booth is to be opened "on the second to last Thursday of the month", while the federal booth is to be opened on the "Thursday preceding the penultimate Friday of the month."  Do we want to change our regular election day to make it uniform?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »

One thing I noticed is that our regular election day isn't necessarily the same as the federal election day if the second-to-last Thursday is immediately before the last Friday of the month.  (i.e. if February 28 during a non-leap year is a Thursday, our elections would be held starting February 21, while Federal elections would be held starting a week earlier on February 14.  This is because the Northeast voting booth is to be opened "on the second to last Thursday of the month", while the federal booth is to be opened on the "Thursday preceding the penultimate Friday of the month."  Do we want to change our regular election day to make it uniform?

That would be the smartest reform. Maybe it on the same day as the federal all year if possible.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »

I will then offer an amendment to make all elections uniform with federal elections:

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »

I fully support this bill in its current form.  I see no reason to oppose an irregular term, considering this bill will successfully promote voting turnout and a quicker transitions. 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »

I like it.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »

Yeah, irregular terms are a small price to pay for the benefit this amendment provides, I was just saying if you did want regular terms that would be how you would word it Wink
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

I also support this bill, as I see little reason not to.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »

The debate period is over.  We now move to a vote on final passage of the bill:

Uniform December Election Day Amendment

Marked-up version:

Clean version:

This vote will be open for the earlier of 48 hours or when all representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

Aye
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »

Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »

Aye
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 03:12:46 AM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2014, 07:10:33 PM by cinyc »

By a vote of 5-0, the proposed amendment passes and goes to a vote of the people on January 17, 2014.  Under Article VII of the Fourth Northeast Constitution, no gubernatorial action is required.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies