SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:52:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 3486 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

I remain stanchly opposed to this legislation. It would be nice if the sponsor made an actual attempt to defend this bill and respond to criticisms instead of just launching attacks.

I was pretty clear on the intent of this bill. The fact that the right will abide with child abuse in order to protect the "right" of parents to educate their children at home should not obscure that fact.

And you still support the state's right to educate children against their will.  How is that any less child abuse than homeschooling?

Roll Eyes

Are you saying you do not want to force children to go to school?  Then write your amendment accordingly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »

I object to the amendment filed by Senator TNF.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Status: Objection Filed by Senators NC Yankee (if someone else also did so and I missed it, please say so, I just filed one to ensure it didn't get forgotten and thus the amendment allowed to pass). The Vice President may open a vote at any time after the amendment has been officialy offered for 24 hours.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

Status: Objection Filed by Senator NC Yankee, a vote on the amendment shall now commence. Senators, please vote: Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »

Abstain

It really seems like a pointless amendment to me. It won't change my vote, and I doubt it will change the votes of the other opponents of this bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

Abstain, for the same reasons Goldwater stated.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

Abstain
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »

NAY
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 04:12:01 PM by Senator X »

Abstain

Nay
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »

Aye

It makes the bill more tenable. I have an amendment forthcoming, as well.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »

Nay

If anything I'd say the amendment should be the other way round. Students over the age of 14 should have some degree of choice in their education, and if they want to study at home then that's OK.

I don't like home schooling at all, would never want it for myself or my (potential Tongue) children and think as a general rule it's bad for education except in very limited circumstances (for example disabilities or geniuses). Nevertheless while I'm in no way a Libertarian even I think it's a bit far for the government to decide most aspects of child rearing, so I won't support a total ban on home schooling, though it should be discouraged.

The one thing that does concern me is I don't think we should give parents carte blanche to teach their children blatant falsehoods like the white race is the superior one, or the earth is 6000 years old, so I'd be curious to see current atlasian law on that.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »

Well, current Atlasian law should reflect American law on the issue, and, in this case, we would see rather high standards for home schooling. America doesn't let just any parent teach his or her child, after all.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »

Nay
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »

abstain
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »

Vote on Amendment 59:01 by TNF:

Aye (2): TNF and TyriontheImperialist:
Nay (4): bore, Mr. X, NC Yankee, and Talleyrand
Abstain (4): Goldwater, shua, Spiral and Tmthforu94

Didn't Vote (0):

The VP may declare this amendment has having failed. Time expired yesterday at 12:03:15 pm.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »

Vote on Amendment 59:01 by TNF:

Aye (2): TNF and TyriontheImperialist:
Nay (4): bore, Mr. X, NC Yankee, and Talleyrand
Abstain (4): Goldwater, shua, Spiral and Tmthforu94

Didn't Vote (0):

The VP may declare this amendment has having failed. Time expired yesterday at 12:03:15 pm.

By a vote of 2-4-4, the amendment has failed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

Tyrion, you had an amendment?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

Well, current Atlasian law should reflect American law on the issue, and, in this case, we would see rather high standards for home schooling. America doesn't let just any parent teach his or her child, after all.

This is literally the only way, as I said, I could support this bill. I am fine regulating it because not just anyone can homeschool their kids, and as much as I hate the practice, I can't outright ban it. I am okay if we want to set standards, but I imagine we or the regions already have.

If I am going to write another miraculous redraft that satisfies us all, that will be how I tackle it. You all have been warned. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »

This is literally the only way, as I said, I could support this bill. I am fine regulating it because not just anyone can homeschool their kids, and as much as I hate the practice, I can't outright ban it. I am okay if we want to set standards, but I imagine we or the regions already have.

If I am going to write another miraculous redraft that satisfies us all, that will be how I tackle it. You all have been warned. Tongue
I agree that standards should be in place, but if we are just going to be replicating what is already law, what's the point?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »

I agree that standards should be in place, but if we are just going to be replicating what is already law, what's the point?

I don't know what the law is. I am not afraid to admit my ignorance. Smiley
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

I think the important point is that the law, as it stands, regardless of what it is, is ostensibly working. Test scores for home schooled students are higher, and they tend to actually have better college/job placement. There are some social issues with homeschooling, so maybe my amendment will clear it up.

Ok, here's my amendment:
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

What about a regulation asking for homeschooled to know at least the same thing of local schools or the national curriculum if we have something like that...
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »

What about a regulation asking for homeschooled to know at least the same thing of local schools or the national curriculum if we have something like that...

That exists, actually!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »

Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies