2014 Selfie Creepfest/Post a picture of yourself thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:55:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  2014 Selfie Creepfest/Post a picture of yourself thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2014 Selfie Creepfest/Post a picture of yourself thread  (Read 107341 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: January 19, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2014, 11:34:55 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Okay, time to add to the 2014 Creepfest with some photos from my recent time at Queen's Model Parliament (QMP). This year, I had the honour of leading the Conservative Party to much success: We won "best party," which is practically unheard of for the Tories at this student-run conference. I don't mean for this post to be in any way braggy... I thought I'd share because this year's QMP was honestly the best experience of my undergrad... and I think it's right in the wheelhouse of the Atlas. It was basically "Atlasia in real life." You get to meet so many great people, and the feeling of standing in the House of Commons to give a speech is beyond words.

Here's me with Former Speaker of the House Peter Milliken. Such an awesome dude. He was the one to help secure our school exclusive rights to the House of Commons (he was the MP for Kingston and the Islands, which is my university's riding). The House has been opened to other schools after his retirement, but he continues to be a big supporter of our conference.

I believe this photo was taken sometime after he joked that the only good Tory is a lavatory. Tongue

Next is my traditional photo at the Speaker's chair. I think I've posted a few from past years. This one is my favourite.

Now we've got some pictures from our debate on the "emergency bill." Basically, all the delegates were summoned to a "press conference" where we learned of a recent situation that had to be dealt with. We would be debating the government's response to the crisis, which the Prime Minister presented to the delegates. The Green Party formed government this year.

Basically, the situation was as follows: Under the stewardship of Pauline Marois and the Parti Québécois, the province of Quebec just voted yes on a referendum to separate from the country. We had one hour to draft our response to the government's plan and write speeches for the debate. This hour was my favourite hour of the conference. This emergency was definitely the best one we've had to deal with in years.

Anyway, yeah. Bottom line: If you ever get a chance to participate in something similar, do it. I was nervous as hell after becoming the Conservative leader because the conference is usually dominated by the student government crowd, of which I am definitely not a part. Honestly though, it didn't matter. Everyone was fantastic. I had so much fun and made a ton of new friends. I really wish I came out of my shell at university and jumped into leadership roles sooner, but I guess I can't change the past. Don't make the same mistakes. It is so worth it to get involved.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »

Here's me being all narcissistic before convocation. Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »

Maybe I should be wary about wading in here given the... change in tone? But I just wanted to wish y'all a happy 'Murica Day! I got a new shirt. Cheesy

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:57:37 PM »

Do we need to get the gifs out again? Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »

All right. Here's me making some kind of strained face. Or maybe that's just how I look. I can never tell. Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 03:51:12 AM »

Is that your history teacher?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

I guess I'm allowed to say something now too haha. I approve. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »

Lookin' good, Alfred.

Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »

You're still wearing FitzGerald shirts, Adam?

Undecided
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

I'm super cool with my hipster ukulele, right?

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »

Lookin' fine, gents.

Here's me during a recent expedition to the mall. Nice smiles are not one of my strengths. Either way, I'm down ~25 lbs since summer! Smiley

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 02:38:27 AM »

Lookin' fine, gents.

Here's me during a recent expedition to the mall. Nice smiles are not one of my strengths. Either way, I'm down ~25 lbs since summer! Smiley

Wow, congrats!

Thanks! I'm hoping I can keep it off.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies