An Inconvenient History Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:22:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  An Inconvenient History Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: An Inconvenient History Thread  (Read 9507 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Sorry for the delays.

If I get banned before I can post on here I'll relay my thoughts via Dallasfan or Cathcon.  But the update will happen.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »

Next Update: Understanding the Progressive Movement

Oh, I really can't wait for this!  Say what you want about politics, and I don't care where you fall on the spectrum ... the idea that "conservative" ALWAYS means favoring traditional policies/opposing change and "progressive" always means advancing society forward/abolishing age-old intolerance is disgustingly story-book and doesn't jive with history.  The progressive movement of the early Twentieth Century, for example, had more than its fair share of racist thought.

What do you think the terms "conservative" and "progressive", in the sense of a dichotomy, mean, then?

And Mechaman won't be writing in the sense of a dichotomy, FYI (to my knowledge). Rather, he'll likely pose that progressivism was merely a softer and more proactive form of conservatism designed to curb more radical movements. And for Mechaman, paternalism is a big part of the right. Thus, racist progressives in his eyes will be no better than out-and-out conservatives in their placement on any sort of political matrix.

Just my guess, anyway. If Mech feels any impetus to post here again, he's free to contradict my musings.

Yeah pretty much, though I would argue that the term would later be distorted beyond it's original meaning by some liberals who adopted the term as a means to advance social welfare.

More on that later.  Later hopefully being before the hammer falls down on me.
Ismail
Rookie
United States
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 10:25:27 PM by Ismail »

As far as the Federalists go, Marxist historians have always criticized them and contrasted their politics with those of the Jeffersonians, who were (more or less) presented as the "good guys," upholding bourgeois democracy and (insofar as the masses pressured them) a better deal for farmers and laborers.

I scanned three books on early US history, but one particularly relevant here is... well I need 20 posts to actually link to stuff, but just search for "The Struggle for American Freedom: The First Two Hundred Years" and it should come up as an archive dot org link. There's also a book that covers the 1789-1824 period which will be scanned sometime in the next two months by me. And yes, I have permission to scan them.
Ismail
Rookie
United States
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

Here's that 1789-1824 book: archive. org/details/TheRiseOfTheAmericanNation
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies