An Inconvenient History Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:12:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  An Inconvenient History Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Inconvenient History Thread  (Read 9538 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 31, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »

I don't think anyone would deny that the Federalist Party in general and Hamilton in particular were supporters of the concept of meritocracy (in the sense that only those who have shown they have merit should rule).  However they by and large were not supporters of aristocracy. (By which I mean a meritocracy in which merit was something that could only be inherited.)  So yes, in terms of motivation, the Federalists were clearly akin to the modern Republican Party, yet in term of policy the Federalists are more aligned with the modern Democratic Party, while the original Republican Party had policies more aligned to those of the modern Republicans.

That said, the whiskey tax was poorly thought out and implemented in a regressive manner.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

I disagree that libertarianism can be compatible with urbanism. Libertarianism just isn't comfortable with the level of government needed to make a significantly sized city function.  Zoning, road planning, parks and recreation facilities, and other necessary accoutrements of modern urban living just aren't compatible with pure libertarianism.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »

It might take a few days to prepare, due to what I think are underlooked/misunderstood issues of the time (which are pretty numerous).

That's pretty much the case for any period of history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies