What will be the biggest issue of 2014?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will be the biggest issue of 2014?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What will be the biggest issue of 2014?
Gay marriage

The environment

Immigration

Marijuana legalization

Income inequality

The war in Afghanistan

Drones

Other (Please write in)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: What will be the biggest issue of 2014?  (Read 4016 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »

what do you think will be the one issue that will be talked about the most in the new year?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »

Like it has been for the past 7 years, the economy, the economy, the economy.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »

We haven't had much talk of the economy or jobs in 2013. If anything, gay marriage was the topic of the year.

As for 2014, no clue. Could be Afghanistan. Could be gay marriage again. Could be Immigration, if it passes or comes close in the House.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:42:50 PM »

Other: healthcare
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:46:51 PM »

The state of ObamaCare will be a decisive factor in the midterms it will dwarf every other issue including the economy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »

Other: The rebellion against our alien overlords.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »

The implementation of the ACA.  I expect the economy to be reasonably good through 2014, not good enough for the Democrats to effectively run-on but not in the crapper to the extent that the GOP can say that the Democrats are wrecking it.   
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »

Other: Benghazi.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »

Hopefully income inequality.  Probably healthcare though, I'm hoping Obamacare is seen as at least somewhat of a success, but to most on the right it will always be awful.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Other: The rebellion against our alien reptilian overlords.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »

Healthcare and the economy.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:35 AM »

Voter suppression in a number of states, immigration, gay marriage and the War in Afghanistan will be the big 4 issues. The economy won't be an issue since unemployment is significantly decreasing while the GDP rate is 9% higher than it was in January of 2009.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 12:37:55 AM »

I don't think ObamaCare will ever be a popular law it just can't be... unlike SS/Medicare there are winners and losers people are seeing their premiums jump while others are theirs lowered. It will be biggest issue 2014 & 2016 and in the near future. I don't the law will survive past Obama's Presidency there will be major changes proposed or full repeal if there's a Republican President.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »

Healthcare.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 12:57:18 AM »

Voter suppression in a number of states, immigration, gay marriage and the War in Afghanistan will be the big 4 issues. The economy won't be an issue since unemployment is significantly decreasing while the GDP rate is 9% higher than it was in January of 2009.
I don't think voter suppression will be an issue. I mean, it's not like the Dem candidate is going to propose prohibiting states from enacting voter suppression methods of the nature we've seen recently. I think the War in Afghanistan will only be a major issue if the GOP nominates Paul.

Anyway, I also think that health care will be a major issue, as well as possibly foreign policy depending on the nominees.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »

Health care will likely dominate the year, but I expect we'll start seeing the minimum wage making headlines around summer time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »

Obamacare.  The general perception of Obamacare could drive the midterms anywhere from Republicans taking the Senate to Democrats taking the House.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 01:15:40 AM »

I don't think voter suppression will be an issue. I mean, it's not like the Dem candidate is going to propose prohibiting states from enacting voter suppression methods of the nature we've seen recently. I think the War in Afghanistan will only be a major issue if the GOP nominates Paul.

Anyway, I also think that health care will be a major issue, as well as possibly foreign policy depending on the nominees.
The thread says 2014, not 2016
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 01:24:16 AM »

Obamacare.  The general perception of Obamacare could drive the midterms anywhere from Republicans taking the Senate to Democrats taking the House.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 01:41:54 AM »

The Democrats are not taking the House whether ObamaCare is doing great or not. The House is gone until at least 2022.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »

If you look around, it's much more active than just in North Carolina and Texas now. Ohio has 2 voter restrictions bills currently on Kasich's desk and the legislature plans to pass more through this month, then there's Iowa (if Repubs. can win back the State Senate), Kansas (where one of the OH bills originated from), Pennsylvania, possibly Montana, formerly Florida.....are you noticing a trend? All GOP led states for the most part and with the elections coming up, stations besides MSNBC will start covering this more and more and some of these Governor's and state legislatures will face voter backlash. That's what it shows. Disenfranchising voters hurts Republicans in the long run and could be another Democratic opportunity to capitalize and attack these laws.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 01:56:17 AM »

If you look around, it's much more active than just in North Carolina and Texas now. Ohio has 2 voter restrictions bills currently on Kasich's desk and the legislature plans to pass more through this month, then there's Iowa (if Repubs. can win back the State Senate), Kansas (where one of the OH bills originated from), Pennsylvania, possibly Montana, formerly Florida.....are you noticing a trend? All GOP led states for the most part and with the elections coming up, stations besides MSNBC will start covering this more and more and some of these Governor's and state legislatures will face voter backlash. That's what it shows. Disenfranchising voters hurts Republicans in the long run and could be another Democratic opportunity to capitalize and attack these laws.

It was shown in 2012 that passing these voter suppression laws actually helps increase minority turnout; Dems use to issue to rile up a lot of blacks so it helps us in the long run.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 02:48:26 AM »

It was shown in 2012 that passing these voter suppression laws actually helps increase minority turnout; Dems use to issue to rile up a lot of blacks so it helps us in the long run.
That's basically what I just said, but yeah even look at Florida last year. It was the closest Presidential state and even with Rick Scott's slashes of early voting, minorities still came out big for Obama. Same with Ohio. Husted tried only allowing early voting for the GOP counties in the state which failed miserably to. When you look at it, Republican arguments for these laws are beyond pathetic and Democrats will usually come out on top from them if there's enough media over it. The 2014 elections will play a big part in this because most of these GOP legislatures wouldn't be trying to pass voting restrictions if they knew their GOP Governor or their legislative majorities weren't at risk. Little do they know, they'll hurt them more than it will save them.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 03:17:23 AM »

I'd certainly like to see progress in gay marriage, minimum wage, drug liberalization, and withdrawing from the Middle East. The first is most likely. Hopefully, healthcare and Benghazi will die down by next summer.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies