Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:29:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 64
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion 1.5: The Countdown Begins  (Read 159518 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: March 06, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »

Quebec Cabinet continues to be a gaffe machine, today the Transportation minister said in a meeting with a Gaspésie Chamber of Commerce than "wives were welcome to come with them (a trip of the Chamber to Montreal, where he would be the honour guest), since there is a lot of shopping malls in Montreal". Businesswomen in the room (around 30% of the audience) weren't happy.

The Premier forced himself to apologize, yet again. He has to force his MNAs to apologize at least twice each week (the other time this week was an MNA advertising on the website of an Islamic organism saying than it's okay to be violent with your wife if she is a bad Muslim. The MNA refused to remove the publicity because "they aren't an illegal organism and I want to have good relationship will all organism of my riding". Couillard forced him to cancel advertizing the next day and to apologize).

The same nonsense and amateurism every week.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1376 on: March 06, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »

The frequency of casual sexism that comes from Quebec politicans in particular is amusing, in a sad way.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1377 on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »

The frequency of casual sexism that comes from Quebec politicans in particular is amusing, in a sad way.

Through, really, can an American really note it? I mean, you have the Tea Party! Todd Akin...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1378 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:08 AM »

Quarterly Atlantic Canada polls are out.

Nova Scotia
Lib: 58% (-6)
PC:  20% (+2)
NDP: 18% (+4)

New Brunswick
Lib: 54% (+2)
PC:  27% (+4)
NDP: 9% (-5)
Green: 9% (-1)

Newfoundland
Lib: 56% (-4)
PC:  31% (+2)
NDP: 13% (+3)

PEI
Lib: 58% (+8)
PC:  26% (+3)
NDP: 12% (-3)
Green: 4% (-7)

Of note:
1) The Liberal honeymoon in NS might finally be starting to ahead. However, they are still 13 points over what they got in the last election.

2) The NB NDP's horriawful result.

Do you think there will be high level casualties in the federal election? (i.e. MacKay, Shea, other Cabinet Ministers losing their seats losing their seats)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1379 on: March 08, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »

Do you think there will be high level casualties in the federal election? (i.e. MacKay, Shea, other Cabinet Ministers losing their seats losing their seats)

There will be some in Atlantic Canada, yes. Gail Shea will probably go down. Bernard Valcourt almost certainly will. Peter MacKay on the other will probably be ok. His seat is reasonably safe, and the Liberals had some of their worst results there in the recent provincial election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1380 on: March 08, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »

Quarterly Atlantic Canada polls are out.

Nova Scotia
Lib: 58% (-6)
PC:  20% (+2)
NDP: 18% (+4)

New Brunswick
Lib: 54% (+2)
PC:  27% (+4)
NDP: 9% (-5)
Green: 9% (-1)

Newfoundland
Lib: 56% (-4)
PC:  31% (+2)
NDP: 13% (+3)

PEI
Lib: 58% (+8)
PC:  26% (+3)
NDP: 12% (-3)
Green: 4% (-7)

Of note:
1) The Liberal honeymoon in NS might finally be starting to ahead. However, they are still 13 points over what they got in the last election.

2) The NB NDP's horriawful result.

Those are provincial polls, not federal polls.

Anyways, Shea might lose her seat, but Mackay might be safe. It'll be the last Tory seat to go down in Nova Scotia.

The NDP should be really worried, they're likely to lose even Jack Harris and Peter Stoffer at this point (let alone Megan Leslie) Sad
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1381 on: March 08, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

I wouldn't be that pessimistic Hatman. Here's the Atlantic NDP seats from most to least vunerable.

Dartmouth-Cole Harbour: Barely won last time during the worst Liberal result ever, and the Liberals have a popular city councillor who represents a heavily NDP area running. Bob Chisholm is a goner.

Acadie-Bathurst: Only votes NDP due to ridiculously popular incumbent who's not running. Also a goner.

Halifax: A reasonably strong NDP area but Leslie is somewhat less loved than her predecessor, and the seat is vulnerable to a "bourgeois bloc" mentality, and Leslie is prone to making statements that foster that effect. The Liberals will probably when this seat and lose it again the next time they falter in Atlantic Canada. However it isn't a total write off for the NDP

Sackville-Preston-Chezzetcook: Stoffer is ridiculously popular here and the most anti-NDP part of the seat was risdistributed out of the riding. Will stay NDP until Stoffer retires.

St. John's East: Harris is popular and the seat has a long anti-Liberal history. The only way the Liberals would win if there was a Tory incumbent.

Seriously Hatman, Stoffer and Harris would need current NDP support in Atlantic Canada to be cut in half to lose their seats. Their seats are safe, and Halifax isn't a total write off yet.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1382 on: March 08, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »

If there are two high-profile ministers that are most likely to lose, I'd name Oliver and Shea.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1383 on: March 09, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »

So Justin accused Harper of stoking Islamophobia and explicitly compared his rhetoric to "none is too many."
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1384 on: March 13, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »

Boulerice agrees with Couillard on niqabs in the public service. Mulcair agreed last year, wouldn't comment now but presumably his view hasn't changed. Boulerice does want public consultations on the issue, however.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1385 on: March 13, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »

There's Tory and Dipper dissent on niqabs. Cannot wait for this crap to stop.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1386 on: March 13, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »

"Anyways, Shea might lose her seat, but Mackay might be safe. It'll be the last Tory seat to go down in Nova Scotia. "

The Liberals trying to beat MacKay is a case of 'be careful what you wish for"  Should the Conservatives lose the next election and Harper step down, MacKay would be the frontrunner if he is still an M.P
Without him, Jason Kenney would be the likely frontrunner.  While Kenney is competent and capable, MacKay is a total incompetent and is stupid.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1387 on: March 13, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

"Anyways, Shea might lose her seat, but Mackay might be safe. It'll be the last Tory seat to go down in Nova Scotia. "

The Liberals trying to beat MacKay is a case of 'be careful what you wish for"  Should the Conservatives lose the next election and Harper step down, MacKay would be the frontrunner if he is still an M.P
Without him, Jason Kenney would be the likely frontrunner.  While Kenney is competent and capable, MacKay is a total incompetent and is stupid.

MacKay's past his best by date. I'd say Moore is a better candidate for the Reds.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1388 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »

Adam: MacKay the frontrunner? What are you smoking?

DC: Yeah. MacKay almost certainly isn't running and will probably leave politics once we're back in opposition.

These EKOS immigration numbers are extremely disturbing.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1389 on: March 13, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2015, 06:14:18 PM by Adam T »

Adam: MacKay the frontrunner? What are you smoking?

DC: Yeah. MacKay almost certainly isn't running and will probably leave politics once we're back in opposition.

These EKOS immigration numbers are extremely disturbing.

Some of the immigration numbers may be due to the high housing prices in Toronto and Vancouver.

Regarding MacKay.  This poll isn't even all that old:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1739630/is-peter-mackay-the-best-choice-for-future-pm-tory-voters-say-yes/
December 22, 2014 2:00 pm

TORONTO – Though Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said he has no intention of changing the fixed election date of Oct. 19, 2015, there’s been some speculation he could step down before the fall, or call an early election in the spring. A new Global News/Ipsos Reid poll suggests half (48 per cent) of Canadians agree that overall, the Conservative majority government is “working well” for our country. So who could his successor be?

Justice Minister and Attorney General Peter MacKay has the most support from Tory voters polled at 35 per cent —  a significant lead on the other candidates. Click through the gallery below to see the Alberta politician who comes in second at 17 per cent, and the six others who are trailing behind.

Of the other ones polled, Jim Prentice, John Baird and John Tory are obviously not going to run and were all above Jason Kenney.  Given that they are all considered moderates, I would guess that much of their support would also go to MacKay, although the only reason MacKay is considered a moderate is that he used to be with the Progressive Conservatives.

In other news, according to CBC's At Issue, Jean Charest is planning to run for the Conservative Party leadership, once there is a race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1390 on: March 13, 2015, 06:14:37 PM »

Leadership polls mean squat. And Charest isn't running for anything.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1391 on: March 14, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »

It makes perfect sense that MacKay would lead in a public opinion poll. He has the biggest name recognition. No one has heard of James Moore of Jason Kenney (outside of the Ottawa bubble of course). Peter MacKay on the other hand is a household name.

Of course leading with Conservative voters and leading with Conservative members are two different things.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1392 on: March 15, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »

It makes perfect sense that MacKay would lead in a public opinion poll. He has the biggest name recognition. No one has heard of James Moore of Jason Kenney (outside of the Ottawa bubble of course). Peter MacKay on the other hand is a household name.

Of course leading with Conservative voters and leading with Conservative members are two different things.

1.Jason Kenney has been a cabinet minister for as long as Peter MacKay and is, obviously, extremely well known in the so-called 'ethnic communities.'  I don't really know why Peter MacKay would be better known than Jason Kenney, though I agree he likely is.

2.Given that leadership conventions are now one member one vote, there doesn't really need to be any difference between Conservative voters and Conservative members.  The last Conservative leadership campaign had something approaching 500,000 members.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1393 on: March 15, 2015, 03:51:28 AM »

1.Jason Kenney has been a cabinet minister for as long as Peter MacKay and is, obviously, extremely well known in the so-called 'ethnic communities.'  I don't really know why Peter MacKay would be better known than Jason Kenney, though I agree he likely is.

2.Given that leadership conventions are now one member one vote, there doesn't really need to be any difference between Conservative voters and Conservative members.  The last Conservative leadership campaign had something approaching 500,000 members.

Conservatives use a wierd hybrid where every riding has 100 points, spilt proportionnaly according to the votes of members living in that riding.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1394 on: March 15, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »

Oh I forgot that.  That said, the leader isn't chosen by a delegated convention, and, as I said previously, the Conservatives claimed to have somewhere around 300,000-500,000 members in their party during their last leadership campaign.  Though the number of voters would likely have been far less, 300,000 to 500,000 members would be roughly 10% of all Conservative Party voters. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1395 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:06 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2015, 04:37:48 AM by MaxQue »

Oh I forgot that.  That said, the leader isn't chosen by a delegated convention, and, as I said previously, the Conservatives claimed to have somewhere around 300,000-500,000 members in their party during their last leadership campaign.  Though the number of voters would likely have been far less, 300,000 to 500,000 members would be roughly 10% of all Conservative Party voters.  

As 97397 votes were cast, it would be a bad turnout.

Also, the method had a real effect. Harper got 69% of votes, but only 56% of points. Stronach (the daughter of Frank, see Austrian election thread) got 23% of votes, but 35% of points. Tony Clement got 8% of votes and 9% of points.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1396 on: March 17, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »

Tory MP Larry Miller said Muslim women who wear the niqab can "stay where the hell you came from."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1397 on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »

So what? It's about that je ne sais quoi that MacKay has and Kenney doesn't. Maybe Kenney is well known in ethnic communities, but that's not enough to over come MacKay being a household name. Let's face it, Kenney is just another boring middle aged Albertan Tory. MacKay is a celebrity.

Of course Tories love boring middle aged white guys, so that shouldn't stop Kenney from winning a Conservative nomination. However it does stop him from being a well known figure.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1398 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:34 AM »

Dunno why. MacKay's so passé and is hardly a constant newsmaker. Even Mr. Laurentia himself, Jeff Simpson, has said MacKay is not regarded as Harper's political or intellectual equal.

MacKay glamorous? Only glamorous celebrity in federal politics is Justin.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1399 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:28 AM »

You guys have short memories. When he was with Belinda, they were Ottawa's celebrity couple. And, how many times was he awarded sexiest MP?

There's more to these things than substance or intellectualism.  There's a reason Justin Trudeau is Liberal leader. Of course, when I said Justin would become leader four years ago, people would laugh in my face. Unlike Trudeau though, I don't think MacKay would actually win a leadership race. I'm just suggesting why he'd be leading in a poll.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies