Will you be a sheep or a goat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Will you be a sheep or a goat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will you be a sheep or a goat?  (Read 489 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
« edited: January 01, 2014, 09:26:48 AM by True Federalist »

From the readings in the Revised Common Lectionary for 1 January 2014, I chose to comment on Matthew 25:31-46 (NASB) today.

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Note carefully that which will distinguish the blessed sheep from the wretched goats.  It is not that one acknowledges Jesus as King and the other does not, for both sheep and goats do so. Christ did not come to Earth for the purpose of receiving homage.  Not that we should not pay Him homage, for of all who have walked this earth, none are more worthy than He of it.  But Christ did not come to collect Caesar's coin as payment.

Nor is it that one group chastised the wicked while the other did not. Indeed, while Christ will do so, in His ministry here on Earth, He ministered to all, providing an example of the benevolent life that all who seek to be a part of His ministry would do well to emulate.  Rather, it is by how we care for those less fortunate than ourselves that we are distinguished as sheep or goats.

As is mentioned in another of today's readings, Ecclesiastes 3:1-13, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." Ecc 3:1 (ASV) New Year's Day is traditionally the time we make resolutions about what we will do differently to make ourselves better than we were in the old year. I urge you to include among them a resolution to do more to help the unfortunate this year than you did last year, and if you should find yourself only able to keep one resolution, may it be this one, for in helping others you will be helping yourself.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »

I've always loved this passage in Matthew, and your post speaks to why, Ernest.  But, in reading through it now, I think this may be the first time I've noticed that the separation is taking place between "nations" and not merely individuals.  It seems to me that this distinction between "nations" is significant for a number of reasons too.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »

I don't read it that way.  I see the reference to all nations as indicating that he comes not merely to separate the sheep and goats within the herd of Israel, but it all the flocks of the world.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »

But that may be part of the point, that "all nations" of the world and not just the herd of Israel will be judged on the basis of whether or not they cared for the less fortunate.  The prophets had made it pretty clear that Israel would be judged on the basis of how well it cared for the widow and the orphan, and now Jesus is saying that this standard of caring for the less fortunate will apply, surely to all individuals, but to all nations as well. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »

this is a fascinating coincidence as I was discussing Matt 25:34-40 with my conservative/neo-Calvinist friend the other night.  I took a position much like Ernest's, that the text can be read to mean 'salvation outside the Church'.  he took the position that salvation is only received sola gratia and sola fide, that good works earned you nothing, and in fact that good works inspired by an ethic other than faith in Christ is actually a sin against God.

his counterpoint to the Ernest-argument is to emphasize that Christ is addressing those who already believe in him, and that his words do not apply to those who do not accept Him as their Savior.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »

Anvi:

I suppose it depends upon whether one takes a Futurist view of the passage or not.  After all, at the Last Judgement, all the nations will be collected and the division into nations that in story took place at Babel will be healed. After the Judgement there will no longer be nations for all will part of the Kingdom of God. However if one looks at the passage from an Idealist perspective, then I could see where the verse would be applicable to nations as well as individuals.

Tweed:

Ask your Calvinist friend this: if those who do not believe in God are not being addressed here, then would that not imply that they are neither sheep nor goats and thus would not be part of Christ's Last Judgement?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »

this is a fascinating coincidence as I was discussing Matt 25:34-40 with my conservative/neo-Calvinist friend the other night.  I took a position much like Ernest's, that the text can be read to mean 'salvation outside the Church'.  he took the position that salvation is only received sola gratia and sola fide, that good works earned you nothing, and in fact that good works inspired by an ethic other than faith in Christ is actually a sin against God.

his counterpoint to the Ernest-argument is to emphasize that Christ is addressing those who already believe in him, and that his words do not apply to those who do not accept Him as their Savior.

The problem with both of these arguments is this text does not explicitly address the consequences of having belief versus not having belief.  Even though the sheep and goats happen to be believers in the parable, some of them, for all we know, may have not been believers by faith.  Some of them could have been skeptics all their lives.  Some of them could have come to believe by actually being shown the way at some point in their existence.  We, as the readers, do not know.  I tend to avoid seeking answers to questions by interpreting parables that may or may not address them, and I don't think Matthew 25:31-46 teaches us anything other than that we should do good works.

The only part of the New Testament that even hints at the question of non-believers' fate is when Jesus appears to Thomas.  Though Thomas' appearance is brief, people (especially atheists/agnostics) can probably relate to him better than any other character in the New Testament simply because they don't want to believe anything that cannot be proven by scientific observation.  Thomas didn't come to Christ through faith, he came to believe only after Jesus showed him tangible evidence of his divine nature and resurrection - the nail marks in his hands.  When Thomas doubted, Jesus didn't condemn or reject him like how so many Christians treat skeptics today.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies