Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:24:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Maryland more Northeastern or Southern?
Northeastern

Southern

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 3248 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »

Similar to Frodo's Missouri thread.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »

I've always considered MD as part of the NE.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »

I think its more Northeastern, even though it is defined as a southern state. Same for Delaware.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

I voted Northeastern, even though I consider Missouri Southern.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »

Some of the Eastern Shore might count as Southern, but that's a small fraction of the population. The bulk is Mid-Atlantic like PA, NJ, and NY.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »

Objectively more Southern - though it's getting iffy - unless you decide that Blacks either do not count as Southern, or do not count full stop... which is exactly what White Americans do without noticing what they're doing when answering such questions.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

Objectively more Southern - though it's getting iffy - unless you decide that Blacks either do not count as Southern, or do not count full stop... which is exactly what White Americans do without noticing what they're doing when answering such questions.

Black Marylanders in Balto or in the DC suburbs are no more southern than blacks in Chicago or its suburbs. Both areas have southern roots dating back to the 1800's through early 1900's, but southern culture doesn't define those areas today. So unless Chicago is southern city (blacks made up the largest single group in 2010 at 32%) then neither is MD a southern state.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »

Except that the Blacks moving from Mississippi to Chicago were consciously leaving the South, unlike those moving from rural Virginia or Maryland to DC or Baltimore. Which is not much different from leaving rural Alabama for Birmingham. And except that there's additionally a very large minority of clearly Southern people among the Whites of Maryland - not just in the rural parts but in the Baltimore Metro as well.
What people mean when they say Maryland is primarily a Northeastern state now (and no one would have dreamt of suggesting that when you were born) are actually saying that its White culture is primarily that of a Northeastern state now. Which is true but a different statement.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »

Except that the Blacks moving from Mississippi to Chicago were consciously leaving the South, unlike those moving from rural Virginia or Maryland to DC or Baltimore. Which is not much different from leaving rural Alabama for Birmingham. And except that there's additionally a very large minority of clearly Southern people among the Whites of Maryland - not just in the rural parts but in the Baltimore Metro as well.
What people mean when they say Maryland is primarily a Northeastern state now (and no one would have dreamt of suggesting that when you were born) are actually saying that its White culture is primarily that of a Northeastern state now. Which is true but a different statement.

I think you are quite incorrect. The black population in Prince George's county is not southern and represents a large middle - upper middle class black population that is arguably unique in the US. The original black population from the slave era declined in numbers throughout the first half of the 1900s. The black population grew after WWII due to employment by the federal government and came from all over the US.  If they came from areas in the South, it was to consciously leave that region, much as you recognize in Chicago. As for Baltimore city, there is some common US urban black culture, but urban life in Balto is more like Philly than Richmond or Charlotte, and that defines its sense of region. Balto is a northeastern city by any measure.

I don't recall what views of MD existed when I was born, but by the time I was in college in the 70's MD was talked about as part of the Mid-Atlantic, not the South. Growth in the DC region driven by internal immigration to work for the federal government had been under way for a generation and its impact on the region was recognized by the 70's. That's not based on white views alone.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »

Established in the South.  Became Northern.

Opposite of West Virginia.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »

You could make a great case the other metro area metro Baltimore is most like is Atlanta. Just not as sprawly.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

Northeastern
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »

Northeastern. Used to be Southern.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »

It doesn't matter that it was one of the last slave states, it's clearly northeastern today.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »

You could make a great case the other metro area metro Baltimore is most like is Atlanta. Just not as sprawly.

could you elaborate on that?
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »

I voted Northeastern, even though I consider Missouri Southern.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

IDC what the Census thinks, Maryland today has nothing in common with the rest of the South except for NOVA.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »

We are northern.

Unless I want to brag about being the first southern state to have marriage Equality.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »

I don't think there's much comparison between suburban Baltimore and suburban Atlanta.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2014, 02:41:55 AM by Ѕеnator Хahar »

I forget who pointed it out, but with the exception of Montgomery and maybe Howard counties, Maryland votes just like a Southern state.

On a related note, I'm not sure exactly what it means, but the lack of correlation in 2012 between the presidential vote and the same-sex marriage referendum is really striking:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 06:25:04 AM »

The black population in Prince George's county is not southern and represents a large middle - upper middle class black population that is arguably unique in the US.
A part of it, not all or nearly all of it. Oh, and it does have one close cousin... in the Atlanta burbs.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »

No you could not.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »

On a related note, I'm not sure exactly what it means, but the lack of correlation in 2012 between the presidential vote and the same-sex marriage referendum is really striking:

Anti-SSM Blacks?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 08:02:22 AM »

I found it extremely strange that MN, WA, MD, ME all voted pro-SSM by very similar margins even though the results of the presidential races were so different. If it's only winning by 4 points in a state Obama carried by 27 points, you'd expect it to fail handily in a state that voted for Obama by 8 points. Yet the pro-SSM side actually won by 6 points there. (If it wasn't obvious, I'm referring to Maryland and Minnesota)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »

Anti-SSM Blacks?

Yes and pro-SSM suburban whites. Economic policy drove the presidential vote and that does not correlate with positions on social policy in many parts of the US. That's why we have a political matrix.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies