Faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen  (Read 376 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »
« edited: January 03, 2014, 08:28:40 AM by True Federalist »

None of the readings in the Revised Common Lectionary for 3 January 2014 really speak to me by themselves.  So for this reflection, I will  reflect on the whole of Hebrews 11:1—12:2, which makes a part of the readings for the 2nd to 5th January. (The portion for the 3rd is Hebrews 11:13-22.) Given the length of the text, I placed it at the end this time instead of the middle.

First off, let me be blunt, if you're not Christian stop here and wait for a future reflection.  This passage, as did the other other two readings for today, Psalm 72 and Genesis 28:10-22, are mainly for speaking to the converted, not for encouraging conversion. For it consists of a long list of examples of faith from the Hebrew Testament and a description of how it has been rewarded and will be rewarded. While that faith was rewarded in part by benefits conferred upon them in this physical realm. It is only now that God has come among us as Christ, the long awaited completion of the expectations of their faith could at last be fulfilled in the spiritual realm. These verses serve as a reminder that we are still within the world and its passage of days, so be not discouraged by temporary physical setbacks.  While we can hope to receive physical rewards for our faith, these are but transitory and inconsequential and because of Christ's ministry we may now all hope for a still greater reward than any physical one.

I don't particularly care for the Gnostic overtones in these verses, but given the original intended readership of this text, that is to be expected. Hebrews was written for a group of early Christians suffering from persecution and who were still in expectation of an early return of Jesus.  Hence the minimization of the physical and the maximization of the spiritual.

As an aside, let me say that I agree with the modern consensus that Paul did not write Hebrews.  As for the speculation that Priscilla was the author, it's interesting but utterly unprovable.  I agree that if there were a singular known author, Priscilla is a logical candidate.  Yet Hebrews easily could be the work of a committee or of some other author who was later stricken from the record due to apostasy or heresy.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:17:05 AM »

It would make sense to have these daily posts in one thread.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

It would make sense to have these daily posts in one thread.

Why?  If they were in one thread that would tend to cut off any discussion of the older reflections when a new one was made.  Moreover, if I do manage to keep at this as I intend, then if I make it thru the whole three year cycle of the lectionary, that would be a thread thousands of posts long. My starting one new thread a day is hardly going to overwhelm this board.  Still, I do need to do somthing to keep the index topic from slipping off the first page, since merely modifying the index post doesn't do that.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »

Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with making separate threads for these.  I like these reflections and I hope Ernest continues them.  The ideas espoused in these passages gave me some great inspiration for sermons. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies