Have you ever been in -30C or lower temperatures?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been in -30C or lower temperatures?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Have you ever been in -30C or lower temperatures?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Have you ever been in -30C or lower temperatures?  (Read 1785 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »

What's that in normal temperature?

Shut up, Inks.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 05:58:27 AM »

This is normal, you Americans are the ones who are not normal ... Wink
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 06:39:24 AM »

This is normal, you Americans are the ones who are not normal ... Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 06:41:20 AM »

Yes, today. My computer tells me it 'feels like' (= including the windchill) -42c now.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »

Yes (Wisconsin)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

I've dealt with colder
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

The coldest temp I've ever been outside for, adding the windchill factor onto the temperature, was in the winter of '89 in my hometown in North Dakota.  It was -67 F (-55 C).  Only out in it for ten minutes with nine layers of clothes on covering every inch of skin.  Survived though.  Sort of.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »

The coldest temp I've ever been outside for, adding the windchill factor onto the temperature, was in the winter of '89 in my hometown in North Dakota.  It was -67 F (-55 C).  Only out in it for ten minutes with nine layers of clothes on covering every inch of skin.  Survived though.  Sort of.
Holy f**king sh**t.

That's death pretty much.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »

It's funny that you should mention that temperature in specific. Yesterday I was arguing on /pol/ that it has historically been easier to survive in Europe than in Africa due to the former's relative abundance of domesticable plants and animals and the latter's relative dearth thereof. Someone else argued that the reverse is true because Africans don't have to prepare for -30C Winters. I replied that the majority of Europeans don't live in areas that regularly get that cold. One of our European posters can correct me if I'm wrong.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »

Holy f**king sh**t.

That's death pretty much.

Yeah.  There was a story going around yesterday that regular temperatures on Mars register somewhere between -20 and -30 C, so I figure almost everyone in the northern midwest of the U.S. is fairly well prepared for interplanetary travel.  Smiley
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »

It's funny that you should mention that temperature in specific. Yesterday I was arguing on /pol/ that it has historically been easier to survive in Europe than in Africa due to the former's relative abundance of domesticable plants and animals and the latter's relative dearth thereof. Someone else argued that the reverse is true because Africans don't have to prepare for -30C Winters. I replied that the majority of Europeans don't live in areas that regularly get that cold. One of our European posters can correct me if I'm wrong.

In Western Europe it never gets that low.

The coldest temperature recorded in the history of Ireland was -19C. While certainly it gets colder on the continent (and certainly snows a lot more) it never reaches temperatures that low with any consistency at all (in Western Europe).

Btw, with that piece of information above I've answered the poll question.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

Many times, mostly due a decade living in MN. These are dates I was around for record lows below -30C (-22F) in the Twin Cities:

Dec 31, 1973 (-24F)
Jan 1, 1974 (-30F)
Jan 9, 1977 (-32F)
Jan 11, 1977 (-31F)
Jan 14, 1972 (-26F)
Jan 19, 1970 (-34F)
Feb 5, 1979 (-27F)

January 1977 was really cold overall, and I felt a lot of it walking between buildings at college.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »

That's nasty, but I suspect it wasn't as cold by today's measure. The windchill formula was redone in 2001, so a windchill of -67F in '89 is probably about -50F by the new calculation. One morning I got up for school to hear the radio report a -75F windchill (old formula), but now that is more like -55F. Either way I still had to go out and wait for the bus.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »

-30°C = -22°F for you math-haters out there.  Thankfully I've never been in temperatures that cold.  I might have experienced -20°C, but I think I would have had enough sense to stay inside until it got warmer than that.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

Yes, I live in Sweden. Tongue

Oh and my opinion of BRTD increased tremendasly seing him use celsius. Wonderful. Now we just have to convert the rest of the US.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »

Yes, I live in Sweden. Tongue

Oh and my opinion of BRTD increased tremendasly seing him use celsius. Wonderful. Now we just have to convert the rest of the US.

When there's an economic reason to convert, I'm sure the US will. That was true for liter beverage containers, for example. Until then, it's hard to see what will cause the US to change.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »

I only used Celsius because I was asking the question to everyone including international posters. Still prefer Fahrenheit for outdoor temperatures.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »

Why is there so much hate for this temperature? It's not that bad. Come on guys, time to "grow a pair" so to speak.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »

I like that both 0F and 100F are potential outdoor temperatures one being very cold and the other very hot. 0C to 100C is "mildly cold" to "long dead"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »

my lowest was probably around -22*C or so
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 12:47:18 PM »

Coldest I've ever been in is single digits, somewhere around 8 degrees Fahrenheit I believe?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »

That's nasty, but I suspect it wasn't as cold by today's measure. The windchill formula was redone in 2001, so a windchill of -67F in '89 is probably about -50F by the new calculation. One morning I got up for school to hear the radio report a -75F windchill (old formula), but now that is more like -55F. Either way I still had to go out and wait for the bus.

Well, damn, I just became a little less space-worthy.  If they'd only recalculate pounds...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »

Why is there so much hate for this temperature? It's not that bad. Come on guys, time to "grow a pair" so to speak.

Some of us like to be able to feel and use our body parts.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »

The coldest I remember was the winter of 1996. t was already pretty cold in Northern Germany - the first and only time in my lifetime the southern Baltic Sea was frozen - but I spent several weeks in Lithuania.
It's quite interesting: Above -5°C or so, when you walk on snow, it starts to melt under the body weight and makes a sucking sound. When it gets colder, the sound gets crunchy. But below -18/-19° C, you don't hear anything anymore - you walk completely silently. Well, as such I know evening /night temperatures that winter in Lithuania were regularly below -20°C. Might have even gotten below -30 in one or two nights, but probably temperatures "just" stayed in the mid-20s.  That's still o.k. for some time - didn't keep me and my colleagues from going out in Vilnius.

Btw: So far, the winter here in Northern Germany has been rather mild. Current outside temperature (8:30 om) is +5°C.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »

The coldest I remember was the winter of 1996. t was already pretty cold in Northern Germany - the first and only time in my lifetime the southern Baltic Sea was frozen - but I spent several weeks in Lithuania.
It's quite interesting: Above -5°C or so, when you walk on snow, it starts to melt under the body weight and makes a sucking sound. When it gets colder, the sound gets crunchy. But below -18/-19° C, you don't hear anything anymore - you walk completely silently. Well, as such I know evening /night temperatures that winter in Lithuania were regularly below -20°C. Might have even gotten below -30 in one or two nights, but probably temperatures "just" stayed in the mid-20s.  That's still o.k. for some time - didn't keep me and my colleagues from going out in Vilnius.

Btw: So far, the winter here in Northern Germany has been rather mild. Current outside temperature (8:30 om) is +5°C.
Oh no... it gets much below about -25C and a new sound emerges... the freezing cold squeak.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies