Snow Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:42:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Snow Day!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Did you get the day off school?
Hell yes, and I'm gonna build a snowman and have a snowball fight.

No.  Easterners are wimps.  You get a few inches of snow and everything closes.  I'm from the Midwest and I walk two miles to school every day in the snow.

Snow?  Sick, dude.  Like, we're more into the herb, but that sounds chill.

Make it so, Number One!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Snow Day!  (Read 6336 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »

No school today!

Actually, my wife and I are off for two more weeks, but the boy doesn't have school today.  We got about 4 inches of snow overnight.  We just got a new snowboard for Christmas and we're going to try it out after breakfast. 

Let it Snow.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »

Ah, the driveway is done.  Took about two hours.  It's wicked cold today.  9°F when I went out.  Up to 12°F now.  This was a regular occurrence when I lived in Iowa, but now I've been coddled by the mild Southeastern Pennsylvania winters that I'm not used to it any more.

The snow was so thick on the little hill behind the house that the snowboard just tumbled in after a few feet.  Eventually, we had to take the toboggan and go down several times in that to pack it before we could get the snowboard to glide down. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »

Off school, just like my fellow Lancastrian poster's son.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Yeah, seven degrees with windchill in the negative is a bit too cold for me. The Arctic can have that back anytime they want it. Smiley

I remember some particularly harsh winters as a kid, and snow days were the absolute greatest things in middle school and high school. Go downstairs at about 6:30 a.m., turn the local news on because they ran a ticker across the bottom of the screen, and wait to see if it was cancelled. If so, it was, "Yes!" and back to bed. Haha, going back to bed was the best part of it all.

By high school, though, I really liked the two hour delays. They would screw the schedule all up shortening the periods because the lunch sessions had to be kept normal, and the schedule would always be so jacked up that teachers and kids didn't know what was going on, and we ended up mostly socializing during the day. And we didn't have to make up two hour delay days!

I'm not as big a fan of the snow now, however. But I voted the last option.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »

It didn't snow, but it is -27 C ( ~15F?) outside. Otherwise a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky, and the snow that is on the ground is reflecting the light to make it very bright outside.

Anyways, I'm "working" from home right now, but I would be anyways, as there's no point going in to work over the Christmas holiday.  

Anyways, if this forum has proven anything, it's that anyone from the southern states or foreigners from warm countries are pretty wimpy. Kind of makes me sad for the human race.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »

Anyways, if this forum has proven anything, it's that anyone from the southern states or foreigners from warm countries are pretty wimpy. Kind of makes me sad for the human race.

Wimps.

Well, it works both ways.  Next time you're at Chichén Itzá, watch the local tour guides bounding up and down the steep stairs of the pyramids, not bothered by the denim jeans they're wearing in the humid, tropical climate.  Then take a look at the Minnesotans of Norwegian descent applying gobs of white lotion on their pink faces under broad-brimmed hats, as they struggle up the stairs in sweatstained floral vacation shirts.

So far we have had about 18 inches of snow this winter.  Last year, there was 13 inches the entire winter.  This is shaping up to be a particularly snowy winter for this area I think.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

There is snow on the ground, and it did freeze, but my school doesn't get back from Christmas Break until Tuesday anyway.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »

The governor has announced schools closing statewide here on Monday due to the extreme cold.  This is the first time since January 1997 that the governor has called school off statewide.

They keep lowering the overnight lows... I think -40F will be widespread.  But I think the major issue is just how cold it will be during the day Monday with most of the state not reaching above -10F, which is rare.

As the Arctic front moves through today, we're expecting an inch or two of snow with strong winds and plummeting temperatures, which could lead to windchills of -40 to -60F, making any travel or activity outdoors extremely dangerous.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »

Closed down for four inches! Lol, kids are sent outside for recess here when there's only that much.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »

I don't go back until Monday, so it's a moot point.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »

Most of Indiana is in the mist of a snow storm where up to and possibly more than a foot of snow has fallen since early this morning.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

As a Floridian, all we get are hurricane days.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »

It's in the middle of summer here and the kids are on holidays anyway.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

Atlantic Canadian children know that a good freezing rain is just the ticket if you want school closed. Streets covered in a sheet of ice beat a foot of snow any day.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »

My son got the day off school  again today.  I guess it was a "wind chill advisory" day or something like that.  We're wimps here, no doubt about it.  Still, I envy him his day off.  Not snowy or rainy, just extremely cold and extremely windy.  I had to go to the office today to attend a function.  I arose early, about 7:00.  I turned on the Weather Channel and saw that it was -2°F.  I think it was the first negative temperature since I've moved here.  Probably broke some records.  Also, the wind was howling.  I didn't notice the wind speed on TV, but my guess is that it was at least 20mph sustained, with stronger gusts.  In the three block walk from my office to the library, my fingers became painfully cold and my nose felt like it was about to break off.  I think public school cancellation was the right call.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

First day of school was supposed to be Monday. That got cancelled. Today wasn't, sadly. UDM was the only school in Michigan open.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »

It was -11F when I started cars yesterday. It's time the world mans up and braves the elements. Keep your damn snow days!   Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »

Because of the cold here, we had a late school start, which impacted my bible study this morning because the church I do that at also does child care, so the pastor who leads that, she was needed to help out with keeping the kids who go to school a couple of extra hours.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »

We're back to normal today after two days off due to the record cold. I woke up to -3 F to go to a 7:30 am meeting. The roads were crowded and cars were slipping on the hard-packed snow/ice roadways. When I learned to drive in MN we all had snow tires for this part of the year, but changing to separate snow tires is rare in Chicagoland.

Today should rise to the teens and the forecast calls for us to break freezing on Friday.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »

It was 8 degrees here yesterday, which I guess isn't that bad. My sister's high school had a 2-hour delay today and yesterday. My brother has to go back up to App State in a few days and it was -3 there over the weekend.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »

Finally it warmed up.  We got about an inch of snow today, but it's around 40ish and melting.  I don't think it will re-freeze tonight.  From the ten-day forecast, it appears that the worst of it is over. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »

We didn't get snowed in, but we got flooded in Tongue.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 02:45:42 AM »

It was 8 degrees here yesterday, which I guess isn't that bad. My sister's high school had a 2-hour delay today and yesterday. My brother has to go back up to App State in a few days and it was -3 there over the weekend.

I noticed wind chills in Boone of -30 below,  ouch
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »

I had both Monday and Tuesday off. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »