Why is the congressional map in NYC so ugly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:49:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is the congressional map in NYC so ugly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the congressional map in NYC so ugly?  (Read 899 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: January 04, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »

The problem is that the South Americans in northwest Queens barely vote (or are citizens), that the Puertoricans and Dominicans (who do vote) sometimes doubly identify as Black as well as Hispanic, that Nydia Velazquez is entrenched in the areas she actually represents (her district got whiter with gentrification over the 2000s), and that it is really drawn not as a Hispanic district but as a Puertorican and Chinese coalition district. Which is why it is its weird shape and why it was maintained in that weird shape, which in turn forced much of the remainder of the map to pick up new weirdnesses - it certainly forced the dismantling of Weiner's / Turner's district (and the worse-than-ever carveup of the Brooklyn Jewish Republican areas.)
Replace it with the effectively-new district with more Hispanics but that is actually less safe for her (and retrocesses out of some minority areas) that you have there, and suddenly you have options galore, including some fairly clean looking ones. Consider it sacrosanct, and the map draws itself.
One thing I've never understood about that: I know a lot of folks in Sunset Park wanted to be in with Manhattan's Chinatown, but why didn't they just draw a Brooklyn Hipsters district that included both of them?

Also- putting the Hasidic areas in with Nadler is incumbent protection- those areas are very swingy (I believe they gave Gore similar percentages to McCain) and could sink Grimm or a Southern Brooklyn pubbie.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies