When Irony and Fate Rears It's Ugly Head (Timeline Story/Interactive) Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  When Irony and Fate Rears It's Ugly Head (Timeline Story/Interactive) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When Irony and Fate Rears It's Ugly Head (Timeline Story/Interactive) Thread  (Read 937 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:40 AM »

Now that I got my 1980 game going, I'm starting with the timeline I been planning on.

Basically this is both an actual timeline and has audience participation in it. If this is successful and I'm able to continue I'll go from 1780-2014 at the least.

Each time in essence, I'll do timeline updates and then when it's time for an election, I'll post in the Individual Politics board and allow you to choose who gets nominated and who wins. I'll write for and around that, so while I might not like a candidate I will include them in TL to the best I can.

I'm not a perfect writer, I make mistakes every once in a while, so please be prepared for that. The War updates aren't my favorite to write either but hey it comes with the territory. I will also note if something does not change from RL into TL.

I have the first three updates all ready written so they should be up sometime tomorrow. This thread operates out of unique butterflies, so be prepared for some all over the place.  Thanks and I'm looking forward to this, haven't done one in a few years.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:15 PM »

Benidict Arnold was content with his life ahead, his choices, and what will happen to his family.  He had enough of Washington and his cronies, and their lack of respect for his talents.  He had been passed over for the last time and the lack of financial aid to his family was the death blow, the Colonies will feel his wrath.

Arnold having discovered the opportunity to rat himself out to the English in return for money and power found the opportunity too good to refuse, and starting in summer 1779 he began communicating with the enemy. 

However further fuel was added to the fire when in June 1779 when Arnold was courtmarshaled for questionable use of funds. However the case was over long and drawn out for a matter of months, before getting off and being found guilty on two minor counts. He was charged $1,000 pounds and brought down in the press by Commander Washington, coming as a major shock to Arnold: “How dare that Virginia Aristocrat bedevil my name, I singlehandly helped his plebe field army exist” he told his wife Peggy. 

Arnold then began picking up communication with the English army throughout the summer and by the end of August a deal was met for Arnold to turn over his own post and get a high strategic position. A meeting was scheduled for September 21st 1780 at the home of  Joshua Hett Smith, who was also on the same side. Arnold was ecstatic and made sure his wife knew of it:

“Never before has one man had the power to control one nation’s fate, but it rests in my unrivaled hands. We will be much improved and respected because of our evolution to the right and great side.”

The meeting occurred at 10:00 PM so no movement can be seen on a grand scale by American soldiers at the post. Arnold and the generals were according to Peggy’s hidden writings: “To gather for both socialization and planning purposes. They would gather the facts and decipher the future of this turn to victory.”

From most general accounts the events leading up to 12:00 AM September 22nd 1780 was rather peaceful, no notable movements or disorders about.  However that was soon about to change as a loud and boisterous explosion occurred in the middle of the town, a home was completely demolished.  The entire town as well as available soldiers rushed to the scene to find nothing left but cinder and ashe at the destroyed residence, which was later determined to be the home of one Mr Joshua H Smith.

While evidence of survivors were found in the rubble no actual bodies were found, until in the early morning hours, when General Arnold’s remains were found lying on a street a long distance away from the home. Many historians believe the explosion was so large and dramatic that it cause all of the persons in the home to be thrown out over a large distance: Arnold to the street, and the others into the ocean where if any survivors drowned.

When notified of her husband’s death, Mrs. Arnold was rather emotional. She not only lost the love of her life but her confidant and her ally. Arnold was given a state funeral and his past debts were paid off in full by an anonymous donor, plus she was given a fund to survive on. However during the grieving process, she followed a promise to her husband and destroyed his letters and paper dating back to the start of the defection. Officially no one ever knew of his traitorous activity and he went down as an American hero, yet a confused and troubled one. 

(Peggy Arnold and daughter, painted after her husband's dearth)

As for his English counter-parts they were reported missing but their bodies were never found, both generals went down as MIA on official counters.  And how was the explosion caused? Most historians believe it was caused by an angry drunk cannon operator on the HMS Vulture, which was supposed to be Arnold’s getaway ship to a great victory.

In the end, Arnold was killed by someone who he thought he could trust, proving the old saying is quite true: You can live by the sword or die by the sword.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »

Not the best first entry ever but my blood's flowing again, so on the bright side I'll work hard to be better.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

With the British missing their generals, they had to be replaced.  With Arnold out of the picture, their genius killing stroke was close to being eliminated, and they had to do something else. However they never truly recovered and the tide was on the side of the Americans, who were thirsty for the end.

The Americans had a + on the column thanks to the final passing of the Articles of the Confederation by Maryland, making it finally legal and giving more power to the Congress. The summer of that year brought a tide of battles in the South,  going back and forth on both sides. All of this was leading up to the Battle or Siege of Yorktown, which was the culmination of the war.

Outnumbered by at least 2 on the ground,  and with many war ships in the water nearby, General Cornwallis and his red-coats were trapped and it was a matter of time before either their complete depletion or a surrender.   Weeks of bombardment and headaches lingered until October 17th when the General sent a man to carry the white flag, and two days later brought forth the surrender of Cornwallis. However he avoided the ceremonies claiming to be ill, leading Washington to say in his writings:

“General Cornwallis while a man of the crown, lacks respect for his fellow man. I truly doubt he is ill of condition but ill of character.”

(The Surrender of the British)

With this surrender in Yorktown, The British agreed to talk peace and a treaty with the Americans.

*Skip ahead 2 years*

September 3 1783 brought forth the Treaty of Paris, which officially ended the Revolutionary War and brought forth Freedom to the now United States of America. Benjamin Franklin  headed the American group and David Hartley in charge for the Brits spent a good time period organizing the deal, highlighted by 10 points in the British POV:

1.   Acknowledging the United States ( the Colonies) to be free, sovereign and independent states, and that the British Crown and all heirs and successors relinquish claims to the Government, property, and territorial rights of the same, and every part thereof
2.   Establishing the boundaries between the United States and British North America
3.   Granting fishing rights to United States fishermen in the Grand Banks, off the coast of Newfoundland and in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence
4.   Recognizing the lawful contracted debts to be paid to creditors on either side
5.   The Congress of the Confederation will "earnestly recommend" to state legislatures to recognize the rightful owners of all confiscated lands "provide for the restitution of all estates, rights, and properties, which have been confiscated belonging to real British subjects [Loyalists]"
6.   United States will prevent future confiscations of the property of Loyalists
7.   Prisoners of war on both sides are to be released and all property left by the British army in the United States unmolested (including slaves)
8.   Great Britain and the United States were each to be given perpetual access to the Mississippi River
9.   Territories captured by Americans subsequent to treaty will be returned without compensation
10.   Diplomatic relations to both England and other European nations are now possible for the United States
11.   United States can expand with non-English territory. The US can persue the England areas after 30 years.
12.   Ratification of the treaty was to occur within six months from the signing by the contracting parties.

The war was officially over and the colonies are now their own nation to rule and govern theirselves based on the Articles of Confederation, however these things are very loose and not very operational, further things needed to be done down the line.

However losing a prominent face and opinion could very well stop things before going, or will it allow the nation to take a better path?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »

The Unmaking of the President: 1788

With the passing of the Constitution, it all came down to the ratification by the states; this time only 9 needed to do so, which was unusual in comparison to past decisions in the US which required unanimous decisions.
The first state to ratify the constitution was Delaware, and they are officially known as the “first state” because of that. Here is a timeline of ratification:

December 7, 1787    Delaware    
December 12, 1787    Pennsylvania    
December 18, 1787    New Jersey
January 2, 1788    Georgia
January 9, 1788    Connecticut
February 6, 1788    Massachusetts
April 28, 1788            Maryland
June 21, 1788            New Hampshire
June 23, 1788          North Carolina

North Carolina surprisingly became the 9th state to ratify the Constitution and therefore the United States is thereby official.  The States of Virginia, and New York soon follow, leaving South Carolina and Rhode Island unable to participate in the upcoming elections as states, however they are expected to be legal by 1789.

With the states now good to go, the Confederate Congress sets both the start day of Congress and the dates for the President, which vary from state to state.

The early favorite is General Washington, who is idolized across the board. However he is not quite sure of accepting the job of managing the young nation, rather he loves retirement with his wife and family at Mount Vernon. He finally has time to spend with them and has a new appreciation of life, he would not like to leave it. He has finally decided to announce his attention not to run

July 1st, 1788 was a beautiful day outside.  Washington woke up early and was ready for a nice little dinner with the family. On the second he was heading to Maryland for 4th of July festivities, so he had to enjoy the time he had, so he grabbed his horse and hit the trail. The trail itself wasn’t bad at all, however the area had been infested by both bobcats, copperheads, and mountain lions, so Washington brought his loyal shotgun with him in case.

The ride was rather enjoyable for Washington as he was able to clear his head about many things, more notably who to endorse for the Presidency. He came down two fellow founding fathers: John Adams of Mass or Thomas Jefferson of Virginia. This would be surprising to many people because everyone expected  Alexander Hamilton to get it as he was a follower of Washington, however the General was secretly afraid to allow him that much power.

Adams represented the North and Jefferson the south, however it was truly more than that. Adams was distinguished as both a lawyer, founding father, and diplomat to England and the Netherlands; while Jefferson was equally matched besides being a diplomat to France instead.  One thorn in Adams side was he could get easily angered while Jefferson had tendencies to France, while most people was thankful for their help and support, France was on shaky ground. The new United States wants to be stable as possible.

Whoever Washington probably chose was probably going to be the President. So he determined he would make his mind up; if he did; by August.  However once again fate would show itself once again.

Martha Washington was growing restless as George hasn’t arrived home since his 1:00 PM promise. She decided to send a slave and the plantation manager to look for him.  She was really looking forward to his arrival, as their dinner was being prepared.

The slave returned home at a flash:

“Mrs. Washington, come quick!”
“What’s the matter?”
“I don’t know how to tell you this ma’am, but General Washington isn’t here with us no more.”
“What he went to Maryland?”
“No ma’am, he has passed.”

Mrs. Washington then passed out and had to be rushed to bed rest.  However what the slave told her was true,  the duo found General Washington laying on the trail, dead of a head fracture, and quite a severe one at that.  The horse was dead as well, thanks to what looked like a gunshot behind the buttock and near the tail, as well on its side. Quite a weird way for a dead horse but could be easily seen and told. The perpetrator of the crime had gotten away, however he cannot truly escape and will be caught in the future.

The nation had lost its main and most heroic citizen and the man who could have been king, literally. However, the nation must continue to advance and survive, so while he will receive a regal funeral, what was known as his endorsement will not matter and the electors will control the fate of the new nation.

(In Memory of General Washington)

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

General Washington was buried at Mount Vernon on July 10th, with many familiar faces in attendance. In his prepared death statement, he urged the new nation to continue it's track twords freedom:

"While I may not be alive to see it's foundation, I hope the nation continues it's business. Whomever is elected will have my endorsement in the afterlife regardless, and I hope he realizes what he will be prepared to carry, as it is an awesome burden."

With that the country continued on it's path to the first elections in it's young history, and the Presidential race is wide open.

Here are some of the favorites:

Ambassador John Adams
Minestr John Jay
Governor John Ruthledge
Governor John Hancock
Samuel Huntington
Governor George Clinton.

Adams is the early favorite, however to his surprise his friend and ally Thomas Jefferson announced his intentions to be in contention for the job. Both men as well others are very different and represent many changes to the nation, however the decision is up to those in the Electoral College.

How will they choose? Time will truly tell.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2014, 05:53:47 PM by tb78 »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=185331.msg4007952#new

The election is in this thread if you want to choose who is elected.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »

It's /url not /img .... Tongue
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »

It's /url not /img .... Tongue

Whoops let me fix it. Go to Individual Politics if I can' get it going.

I got, clicked the image button instead of picture one.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »

1789 Presidential Election:

State Electors met starting on December 15th, 1788 through January 10th, 1789 to decide who the first President would be. Jefferson was the early favorite and by the end of the process it was figured he would be the winner, the second place Candidate was a bit of surprise.

John Hancock who was one of the first signers of the Declaration of Independence and was a President of the Continental College, he finished a surprising second to Jefferson. He made many gains in the Northeast and cut into John Adams support costing both a chance a victory but made Jefferson's win even more sweeter. However Adams managed to finish second by 1 vote.

Thomas Jefferson- 52 EV's

John Adams- 14 EV's
John Hancock-13 EV's
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:11 PM »

1789 Vice Presidential Election:

With the second ballot, the race was far closer and more entertaining. Most electors prepared for a Jefferson election so they focused on the others for the VP job.  John Adams led one side of the field while George Clinton lead another. John Hancock has expressed his desire to not be elected while John Jay was interested he was no expected to win.

The race was rather close, with a north and south split. After both Hancock and Jay's turning over of votes to Adams it all came down to Clinton's home state of New York as well as the border states. Clinton won the borders but Adams did better than expected in New York winning the election by 1 vote. This provides a not of interest for the country as both Jefferson and Adams  are great friends, however both have different points of view regarding the issues.

Starting March 1989, the country will have an interesting first four years.

John Adams-41

George Clinton-40

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:46 PM »

Any comments? I hope there is someone who enjoys this out there.

I missed doing these.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »

I love these! But could we see which candidate is which color?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »

I love these! But could we see which candidate is which color?

I'm sorry!  Green's Jefferson, Blue is Hancock, and Red's Adams.

Clinton is blue for the VP and Adams is red.

Thanks for reading!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies