Congressman Aaron Schock outed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:10:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congressman Aaron Schock outed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressman Aaron Schock outed?  (Read 13536 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: January 05, 2014, 12:52:33 AM »

I'm not really an authority on this topic, but aren't there gay people out there who actually believe being gay is a choice? I was having this discussion with a bisexual friend of mine, and he compared liking men to "liking broccoli"—he can't recall actively choosing to like broccoli, but he doesn't think he was born liking it. He says his sexuality is similar, and that comparing sexuality to vegetables only seems inappropriate because society has attached undue importance to the type of people we're interested in. He thinks everyone is bi. I don't know if I agree, but I think it's a credible line of thought.

So as much as it seems horrible that Schock has voted the way he has, I think he's entitled to that. If he believes sexuality is a choice, it hardly makes sense to lump it in with something like race when it comes to hate crimes. Same for marriage. The fact is, I don't know what he's thinking and I've never lived a day in his shoes. I'll cut him some slack. And you know what? If these rumours are true, there is obviously some... nuance... to his identity that this story cannot account for. It's not fair to out him and bring his world crashing down.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:41 AM »

You think the conclusion someone has come to from their own "lived-in" experience is "disgusting?" Those are strong words...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 02:28:33 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

You think the conclusion someone has come to from their own "lived-in" experience is "disgusting?" Those are strong words...
If they "chose" their sexuality, then I question their ability to have a sexuality at all.  That just screams "sociopath"...

Sociopaths often don't have a preference for either, thus making a "choice" much easier.  Choosing to be gay in such situations may be beneficial for whatever purposes they're working towards.

And I don't sympathize with sociopaths.

So again... yeah, it is disgusting.  If a "gay" guy says he "chose" it, cut that guy out of your life.  He's probably trying to take advantage of you or manipulate you somehow... as sociopaths are wont to do.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I have immense respect for you on this forum, but to assume that your experience is the only right way to be gay, to me, really trivializes people who struggle with labelling their sexuality. I don't know what I was born liking, what I learned to like, what my upbringing encouraged me to like, or what my environment conditioned me to like. I do know that I believe people deserve dignity, respect, and equal treatment under the law no matter who they are or who they choose to be. To call someone a sociopath for not conforming to your conception of "the gay experience" is wholly unfair and mean-spirited.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies