Bad Wedding Decisions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:50:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Bad Wedding Decisions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you tell a close family member if you thought their decision to get married at that time / with that person was a bad decision?
Yes

Only if the person asked your opinion

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Bad Wedding Decisions  (Read 1071 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

I'm curious...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 06:54:58 PM by Scott »

In this situation, I think it's proper etiquette to only state your opinion if asked or if you're a close friend/relative.  Normally I'd say the parents have more of a right to object, but even there there are limits.

Also, I take it you're dealing with a little wedding dilemma, Inks?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »

Probably not but it obviously depends on the circumstance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:53:13 PM »

Depends how bad the decision is and how close you are to the person.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »

it usually goes without saying that the decision to get married is a bad decision.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 07:30:12 PM by Accidental IDS Legislator Sanchez »

Depends on how bad the potential spouse is. Some of my relatives tried to push another away from a certain woman, and they ended up being married (and so far, everything has turned out alright).

If it were my brother, or a close relative, then yes. But not a cousin, aunt, or grandparent/grandchild.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »

In this situation, I think it's proper etiquette to only state your opinion if asked or if you're a close friend/relative.  Normally I'd say the parents have more of a right to object, but even there there are limits.

Yes.  It's a sibling, and my parents have already talked to her (and now think that I should).  I tend to be non-confrontational (especially with family and friends), but if someone really pushes me to be honest (or I have a couple extra glasses of Scotch), I'll tend to open up.

The guy is a nice guy, but they are not at all financially ready to get married, and I suspect that they'll end up without any money to pay bills within 2 years.  I love my sister, but she has no understanding of finances whatsoever (e.g. when she talked to my dad, she told him that her and her fiance could live on $25/month total for food), has never made a budget, refuses to still make a budget, and somehow thinks everything will work out.

I'm nearly positive that saying something would just annoy her, and I doubt she'd listen to me since she hasn't listened to my parents, but part of me says, "If you don't say something, and she goes bankrupt, you'll feel guilty for not trying earlier."  So I'm leaning toward option 2, but I doubt she'll ask me.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2014, 08:13:23 PM by Scott »

Yes.  It's a sibling, and my parents have already talked to her (and now think that I should).  I tend to be non-confrontational (especially with family and friends), but if someone really pushes me to be honest (or I have a couple extra glasses of Scotch), I'll tend to open up.

The guy is a nice guy, but they are not at all financially ready to get married, and I suspect that they'll end up without any money to pay bills within 2 years.  I love my sister, but she has no understanding of finances whatsoever (e.g. when she talked to my dad, she told him that her and her fiance could live on $25/month total for food), has never made a budget, refuses to still make a budget, and somehow thinks everything will work out.

I'm nearly positive that saying something would just annoy her, and I doubt she'd listen to me since she hasn't listened to my parents, but part of me says, "If you don't say something, and she goes bankrupt, you'll feel guilty for not trying earlier."  So I'm leaning toward option 2, but I doubt she'll ask me.

I see.  Unfortunately, there isn't much you really can do.  It's not your fault or your parents' faults if she ends up with problems for not waiting until she's financially stable.  I'd probably say something given the circumstances.  Explain to her why getting married any time soon would be an unwise decision and that you want what's best for her.  If she insists on going through with the wedding, wish her well and hope that everything works out.  There's no use starting a feud between you and her, but if she gets a little annoyed at you for expressing your concerns, try not to feel bad.

Out of curiosity, are your sister and her fiance enrolled in school or working?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »

Who is paying for the ceremony?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:54 PM »

I see.  Unfortunately, there isn't much you really can do.  It's not your fault or your parents' faults if she ends up with problems for not waiting until she's financially stable.  I'd probably say something given the circumstances.  Explain to her why getting married any time soon would be an unwise decision and that you want what's best for her.  If she insists on going through with the wedding, wish her well and hope that everything works out.  There's no use starting a feud between you and her, but if she gets a little annoyed at you for expressing your concerns, try not to feel bad.

Out of curiosity, are your sister and her fiance enrolled in school or working?

Both in school with part time jobs (although she's not working through school, only during breaks).  She has this semester left and then student teaching in the fall (where she can't work and will have to pay for the credits).  Her fiance is employed part time at a nursing home and is going for psychology but has no plans yet for grad school.  He has quite a bit more student loans than she has.

It's yet to be determined how much money my parents will give them, but they won't be paying for the whole thing likely.  My sister wants to keep the wedding within $3,000-4,000.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:20 PM »

It's yet to be determined how much money my parents will give them, but they won't be paying for the whole thing likely.  My sister wants to keep the wedding within $3,000-4,000.
[/quote]

My thought is maybe this can be an opportunity for her to have some practical experience dealing with a budget?  I don't think telling her she shouldn't get married is going to be a fruitful enterprise.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »

I kind of regret not telling my brother the girl he wanted to marry was awful. At the time I don't think it would have done much good, and I believed his decision was what he wanted and it wasn't my place. It's a very difficult thing to weigh over.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »

I would if they asked, but doing it on my own accord would be poor form/bad etiquette.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »

Probably yes; I'm rather bluntly honest, which is usually a good thing but needless to say can and does backfire. My older sister essentially had me give the up-or-down on her boyfriend (I thought he was fine Tongue).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »

Moderate hero position seems to be winning. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:29:37 PM »

No. Even If I know the person, I don't know how they get along. It's not my business.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »

Probably only with my sister.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »

In general, tell them no matter what if the fiancee is on drugs, cheating etc. If it's something less disastrous only tell them if they ask.

Inks: I might not tell her that she shouldn't get married, but you should really be hammering home that she should be prepared to budget and live like a student for the next several years.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »

It depends on the situation.

If the guy/girl has a bad rep for cheating, stealing, or bad stuff in general I prob would warn them. If I know they cheated on them and had evidence of it I would contribute it because at the end of the day I don't want a family member, especially a close one, to get in a horrible marriage for years.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:33 AM »

Not usually. Only if they ask my opinion, I'm close to them, and it's a really bad decision.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »

it usually goes without saying that the decision to get married is a bad decision.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 04:34:02 AM »

There are a LOT of qualifications - overall, I agree with Lief, it depends how bad the match is (and possible consequences) and how close you are. While it's not your business, per se, if it's someone close to you then I would probably suggest 'waiting' and hopefully let them break up in the period following, not outright trash someone.

While it's their life and ultimately their decision, as long as you're tactful and appear well-intentioned and respectful ... within certain parameters, I think it's OK.

Since it's your sister and she's clearly walking blinded... I wouldn't hesitate to say something. Even if it makes no difference, at least you've said something.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:58 AM »

Depends how bad the decision is and how close you are to the person.

This. I don't get out of my way to judge people and their choices (especially since I'm obviously not a very good role model in that regard Tongue), but if I really thought this could have terrible consequences to someone that matters to me, then I would definitely speak up.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

If I was particularly close, I would probably make my opinion known.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »

Of course! I wouldn't want my sister marrying an irresponsible douchebag, or starting her life in her parents third bedroom.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies