Opinion of "intellectual indie hack" style liberals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:16:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of "intellectual indie hack" style liberals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of "intellectual indie hack" style liberals
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Opinion of "intellectual indie hack" style liberals  (Read 2462 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

Kind of a weird term, but it's hard to come up with a name for these type of people. Even though many tend to be scene it's not just my scene they're into. Basically think of people who:

-Are either grad students or already have a Masters/PhD, or at the very least a Bachelor's and spent a lot of time working toward it. Are quite well versed with obscure philosophers, authors no one outside of academia cares and love to namedrop such topics.
-Love to talk in Tumblr-style terms about things like "gender oppression", "heterosexist society" and use extremely politically correct language and terminology and always.
-Also love to speak about first world privileges and oppression and exploitation by capitalist corporations of developing and poor nations, but have no problems using their iPhones/Droids, expensive computers or tablets, and already bought or plan on buying very soon next generation gaming consoles. Also spend a significant portion of their disposable income on alcohol and/or weed. And things like limited edition colored vinyl.
-Usually not religious, if they are, they're a "hipster Christian", obviously there's no way they'd ever belong to any type of established or traditional church and as we all know from my talk don't give a s[inks] about ethno-religious identity or their family's tradition or culture at all, after all that's exactly what they moved to where they live to escape.
-Love to listen to pretentious independent music (hence my "scene", common there), go to pretentious indie movies, reject anything "mainstream", etc.
-Always live in "hip" neighborhoods in major cities, like where I live in Minneapolis, Silverlake, Williamsburg, Mission District, Wicker Park, etc. and get a good chunk of their information from "alternative weeklies" like everything owned by Village Voice Media.
-Are giant hardcore supporters of Obama and the Democratic Party. Would never think of supporting a third party at any point since 2000, and love to think of themselves as so superior to naive idealists and obviously way superior to any Republicans, as all Republicans are backwards, bigoted neanderthals.
-Might describe themselves as "political", but usually only get really active if there's an election soon. And even then massive activity is not guaranteed unless Obama or something related to pot or gay marriage is on the ballot.

...I find it kind of amazing how despite how narrow of criteria this is, this still accurately describes sooooo many people I associate with and probably a majority of those applies to a majority of people I associate with as well. So obviously, Freedom Fighters.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »

Sophomoric, ergo HP.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »

...I find it kind of amazing how despite how narrow of criteria this is, this still accurately describes sooooo many people I associate with and probably a majority of those applies to a majority of people I associate with as well. So obviously, Freedom Fighters.

HP politically, though tend to be rather likable/interesting people in person, imo. Voted HP. If you think of them as Freedom Fighters, why did you use words with such negative connotations to describe them?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »

How is most of that consisting of negative connotations? Hell a majority of that applies even to myself.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:29 PM »

How is most of that consisting of negative connotations? Hell a majority of that applies even to myself.

Exactly. Wink
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:19:52 AM »

Essentially me, except that I'm still in high school.  FF, since I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »

'namedrop', 'Tumblr-style terms', 'don't give a s[inks] about...culture', 'love to think of themselves as superior', and so on and so forth. You're writing as if you have something against folks like these (which I don't think you do).
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »

FF, for applying to me somewhat. Not entirely though.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »

Still supporting the Democrats at this point = automatic HPs
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 06:27:21 AM »

Massive FFs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »

I find them incredibly difficult to tolerate.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »

They have a knack for ruining dinner parties.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 01:46:50 PM by Cathcon »

Awful, obviously. With the way BRTD described them, it seemed obvious that he wouldn't like them, despite similarities that he seemed to acknowledge. Little I'm* of your language went towards defending these so-called FF's.

*Damned iPod keyboards.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:11 AM »

They sound like awful elitists.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 01:20:35 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

People with all or most of these characteristics--and yes, I know exactly the type you mean--are really insufferable, although people with only some of them can be bigger FFs than people with none (depending, obviously, on which ones). Voted HP.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »

Did these people used to be called yuppies? Maybe. Ehh, the typecast is probably worse than the reality.

The liberal typecast that annoys me the most is the artsy over-sensitive over-analytical type. They can be extremely hard to deal with, extremely hard to read, etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 12:45:09 PM by 100 Resolutions »

I'm quite surprised. You even think weed is bad!

Also you don't seem like you'd be too fond of Dan Savage. His column is carried in basically every paper popular amongst these types.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

Didn't say I was one of them! Tongue I certainly find point #3 to be rather distasteful, but overall I can get past this as the difference is mostly "cultural" rather than political. #5 and #6 are not my cup of tea either, but I really don't mind. However, points #1, #2 and, especially, #7, are huge pluses in my view.

After some reflection (especially reconsidering #8 which I consider very bad), I should have said "FF on balance". I guess I just wanted to stand against the Conservative-True Leftist coalition which would inevitably pile up against this sort of people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 01:18:40 PM by 100 Resolutions »

Didn't say I was one of them! Tongue I certainly find point #3 to be rather distasteful, but overall I can get past this as the difference is mostly "cultural" rather than political. #5 and #6 are not my cup of tea either, but I really don't mind. However, points #1, #2 and, especially, #7, are huge pluses in my view.

Thinking back about it (especially #8 which I consider very bad), I should have said "FF on balance".

Might I also point out that if male (actually sometimes not even then) despite the Tumblr-style terms they usually have no problem with going to strip clubs or hiring prostitutes? In fact it's not too uncommon for sex workers to also be this (think Diablo Cody or that woman I once got "massages" from who had a Master's Degree in Psychology.) Although when you think about it considering what other type of content is on Tumblr this isn't surprising at all...

Lief has a lot of similarities to this type after all even if he's not fond of the same type of music.

But yeah I get the point about standing up against the conservative-True Leftist coalition. My point moreso is that you probably wouldn't enjoy going to to the type of shows and fests I do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 01:24:22 PM by 100 Resolutions »

Awful, obviously. With the way BRTD described them, it seemed obvious that he wouldn't like them, despite similarities that he seemed to acknowledge. Little I'm your language went towards defending these so-called FF's.

What you fail to realize is I'm essentially just describing the people in my favorite bands.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »

Might I also point out that if male (actually sometimes not even then) despite the Tumblr-style terms they usually have no problem with going to strip clubs or hiring prostitutes? In fact it's not too uncommon for sex workers to also be this (think Diablo Cody or that woman I once got "massages" from who had a Master's Degree in Psychology.) Although when you think about it considering what other type of content is on Tumblr this isn't surprising at all...

Yeah, OK, nevermind my initial comment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I had no doubt about that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »

Awful, obviously. With the way BRTD described them, it seemed obvious that he wouldn't like them, despite similarities that he seemed to acknowledge. Little I'm of your language went towards defending these so-called FF's.

What you fail to realize is I'm essentially just describing the people in my favorite bands.

And yet you do so in a way that seems to speak ill of them, at least to most people outside your "sub-culture".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

Awful, obviously. With the way BRTD described them, it seemed obvious that he wouldn't like them, despite similarities that he seemed to acknowledge. Little I'm of your language went towards defending these so-called FF's.

And yet you do so in a way that seems to speak ill of them, at least to most people outside your "sub-culture".

People can be self-depreciating. Remember my blueprint for "Sceneland"?

Certainly far superior to metalheads though.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 03:59:05 PM by Redalgo »

They are neither FF nor HP in general, though I lean FF in opinion of them and voted accordingly.

Advanced education and familiarity with some other thinkers makes them more qualified than average in being outspoken about passionately-held political views. Their use of jargon and PC language isn't really good or bad so much as best suited for discussions with fellow enthusiasts in areas of social science - being more likely to confuse laypersons unfamiliar with such concepts. The us versus them attitude and bigotry you alluded to are more problematic but also incredibly common in society, so I suppose it is moderately awful rather than exceptionally so.

Their consumerism is forgivable given the times but the combination of their criticism of capitalism and alleged devotion to rejecting the "mainstream" makes it incredibly ironic that they support the unrepentantly capitalist Democratic Party and abstain from showings of support for alternative options. Likewise, it is something of a betrayal to their intellectual nature to surround themselves with like-minded people and consume mainly "alternative" media when a diverse range of opinions and perspectives is often needed to see the whole picture and try to keep biases in check.

On the whole, your description makes it sound as if they are intelligent and well-intentioned but have yet to develop much in the way of wisdom (which I suppose applies more broadly to most hacks?), and sort of makes them the very naive idealists they consider themselves to be above.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies