Cities with the most liberal and conservative suburbs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:26:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Cities with the most liberal and conservative suburbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cities with the most liberal and conservative suburbs  (Read 4649 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »

Rank the top 20 largest cities from most conservative to least conservative SUBURBS. You can use election percentages if you'd like, but I am talking more about an all-around liberal vs. conservative trend that takes elections into account but also other things as well, which requires general knowledge about the area. Here are the cities in order by size:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago, Illinois
4. Houston
5. Phoenix
6. Philadelphia
7. San Antonio
8. San Diego
9. Dallas
10. San Jose
11. Detroit
12. Jacksonville
13. Indianapolis
14. San Francisco
15. Columbus
16. Austin
17. Memphis
18. Fort Worth
19. Baltimore
20. Charlotte
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2014, 09:45:16 PM by Illini142 »

And my answer to my own question, separated by color but still in order from most conservative to most liberal:

Fort Worth
Dallas
Phoenix
Houston
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Memphis
San Diego
San Antonio
Columbus

Baltimore
Austin
Charlotte
Los Angeles
Chicago
New York

Detroit
Philadelphia
San Jose
San Francisco
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »

I think MSAs might be a little better. Anyway, anything that doesn't have some Bay Area 'burbs as the most liberal is wrong.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »

I think MSAs might be a little better. Anyway, anything that doesn't have some Bay Area 'burbs as the most liberal is wrong.

I agree with this point.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »

A few cities I can think of with really conservative suburbs.

-Salt Lake City, UT (The outer ring of suburbs in SL County is quite conservative. Even more so if you count Utah and Davis Counties as suburbs.)
-Monroe, LA (City proper is heavily black and went >60% for Obama, the rest of the county is heavily white and went around 70 percent for McCain; Oachita Parish went >60% for both McCain and Romney. This also applies to Louisiana's other midsize urban centers, such as Alexandria, Lake Charles, and to a lesser extent, Hammond.)
-Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX (Both cities proper are minority-heavy and gave Obama around 60-70% of the vote, the rest of Jefferson County went around 75% for McCain, and that's not even touching on the other counties that are also considered part of the metro area.)
-Gadsden, AL (City proper was around 56% Obama. The rest of Etowah County is hyper-republican and caused the county as a whole to go >60% R.)
-Knoxville, TN (City proper went for Obama by a very narrow margin, but Knox County as a whole went 63% Romney.)
-Lima, OH (City proper gave Obama 57% of the vote in 2008, while the remainder of Allen County went >60% for McCain.)
-Lancaster and York, PA (Gave Obama 77 and 79 percent of the vote in 2012, respectively, but the remainder of the two counties consists of extremely republican suburbs and rural territory that allow the counties to go heavily R.)
-Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC (All three cities are fairly democratic, with the first two giving Obama well over 60 percent of the vote, but nearly everything outside of these three cities is heavily republican; includes Yadkin County, the most republican county in the state.)
-Boise, ID (City narrowly voted D, suburbs near-uniformly R, especially Canyon County.)
-OK City and Tulsa, OK (The cities themselves are republican-leaning, but the suburbs take it to a whole new level, especially Broken Arrow and Edmond. The lone exception to this is Norman, which contains a major university.)
-Cincinatti, OH (Applies to both the OH and KY suburbs. a handful of exceptions exists, like some of the inner-ring suburbs on both sides, and the college town of Oxford in NW Butler County.)

Some metros with major republican areas:
-Some of the suburbs of Baltimore, MD (especially Carroll and Queen Anne's Counties, where Obama failed to win a single precinct.)
-The south side of the Denver metro area (Douglas and especially Elbert County.)
-Every county in the Milwaukee metro area outside of Milwaukee County (Which went well over 60% for both McCain and Romney.)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »

Most liberal is either San Francisco or DC unambiguously.  Most conservative would be Houston/Dallas.  As others have mentioned, Milwaukee really stands out as conservative outside of the South.  Salt Lake City actually has a surprisingly large competitive area.  Large enough to draw a 56% Obama 2008 CD.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 02:00:04 AM »

I like this idea, but it doesn't make much sense in my opinion to rate the suburbs of both San Jose and San Francisco when there's so much overlap. Also doesn't make much sense to rate the suburbs of Charlotte and not Atlanta.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

-Cincinatti, OH (Applies to both the OH and KY suburbs. a handful of exceptions exists, like some of the inner-ring suburbs on both sides, and the college town of Oxford in NW Butler County.

The old river cities right across from Cincinnati aren't really that conservative, but as for the actual suburbs...whooooo, man! The outer suburbs aren't just conservative, they're on a whole other planet.

The outer suburbs are about like Colorado City, AZ.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

I like this idea, but it doesn't make much sense in my opinion to rate the suburbs of both San Jose and San Francisco when there's so much overlap.

Yeah, the Bay Area is-or is becoming-one very large metro area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area_Combined_Statistical_Area
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

I like this idea, but it doesn't make much sense in my opinion to rate the suburbs of both San Jose and San Francisco when there's so much overlap.

It's interesting to see Stockton in the SF Bay CSA. I always viewed it as more aligned with Sacto and the Central Valley.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »

It's interesting to see Stockton in the SF Bay CSA. I always viewed it as more aligned with Sacto and the Central Valley.

It might not be the case so much with the city of Stockton itself, but Tracy and Manteca, perhaps Ripon as well, are definitely a part of the Bay Area with a large proportion commuting there for work.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »

It always has been, regardless of what the Census Bureau thinks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies