WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:45:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WA-04: Doc Hastings retiring  (Read 2450 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »

I'd love for Maureen Walsh to run. I'm sure she'd have little chance of winning the primary, unfortunately. I'm also sure the Ds will put up a candidate. They actually got within a few points of taking out Hastings in 2006 and within 10 points in 2008.

Wikipedia says Hastings won 60-40 in 2006 and and 63-37 in 2008; basically, this is a noncompetitive district, though it used to be up until the mid-1990s (Hastings was kept within single digits for the last time in 1996).
Seattle
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »

I'd love for Maureen Walsh to run. I'm sure she'd have little chance of winning the primary, unfortunately. I'm also sure the Ds will put up a candidate. They actually got within a few points of taking out Hastings in 2006 and within 10 points in 2008.

Wikipedia says Hastings won 60-40 in 2006 and and 63-37 in 2008; basically, this is a noncompetitive district, though it used to be up until the mid-1990s (Hastings was kept within single digits for the last time in 1996).

Damn. I hate when people mess with Wiki. Last time I checked, it showed way closer margins for 06 and 08.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »

Damn. I hate when people mess with Wiki. Last time I checked, it showed way closer margins for 06 and 08.

Our Campaigns corroborates my numbers -- Hastings has not faced a close race since 1996.

In other news, the first Republican candidate -- Janea Holmquist Newbry -- has just announced her candidacy.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »

Our Campaigns corroborates my numbers -- Hastings has not faced a close race since 1996.

In other news, the first Republican candidate -- Janea Holmquist Newbry -- has just announced her candidacy.

I don't doubt you! I'm just peeved that I've been duped by Wikipedia.

I'm sure Didier will announce soon. Out of the potential candidates, I definitely *like* Newbry the best.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »

I don't doubt you! I'm just peeved that I've been duped by Wikipedia.

I'm sure Didier will announce soon. Out of the potential candidates, I definitely *like* Newbry the best.

Didier is in and so is Sharon Brown.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »

Franklin County Commissioner Brad Peck (R) is in. Geographically, he cuts into Didier's base. No idea where he stands ideologically.

State Rep. Matt Manweller, State Rep. David Taylor, and Yakima Mayor Micah Cawley have all declined bids, with Cawley endorsing Newbry.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »

Geographically, he cuts into Didier's base. No idea where he stands ideologically.

I was under the impression Didier was from Grant County (Ephrata). It seems Peck getting in hurts Sharon Brown more than him.

While we're on the subject of geography, it's worth noting most of Newbry Holmquist's district isn't in this CD (it's split between the 8th and the 5th). And if Didier is from Ephrata, all she really has is Moses Lake (population 21,000).

If I were a Republican officeholder from Yakima County, I'd get in this thing quick.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »

Geographically, he cuts into Didier's base. No idea where he stands ideologically.

I was under the impression Didier was from Grant County (Ephrata). It seems Peck getting in hurts Sharon Brown more than him.

While we're on the subject of geography, it's worth noting most of Newbry Holmquist's district isn't in this CD (it's split between the 8th and the 5th). And if Didier is from Ephrata, all she really has is Moses Lake (population 21,000).

If I were a Republican officeholder from Yakima County, I'd get in this thing quick.

Didier is from Connell, but currently lives in Eltopia.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »

Ah, ok. So Newbry Holmquist has Grant County all to herself. That'll help.

Yakima County still the big wildcard.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »

Ah, ok. So Newbry Holmquist has Grant County all to herself. That'll help.

Yakima County still the big wildcard.

Well here's your Yakima candidate. Dan Newhouse is in.

State Rep. Judy Warnick, meanwhile, will run for Newbry's Senate seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »

It seems to me - too many "establishment conservatives". Can it lead to situation of 2 "tea partiers" in general?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 01:40:28 AM »

It seems to me - too many "establishment conservatives". Can it lead to situation of 2 "tea partiers" in general?

The Tea Party doesn't have a huge presence in Washington besides Didier (As I've said before, the Tea Party Wave never really hit the west coast). If another Tea Party guy gets into the race, it'll be an absolute nobody.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:56 AM »

The Tea Party doesn't have a huge presence in Washington besides Didier (As I've said before, the Tea Party Wave never really hit the west coast). If another Tea Party guy gets into the race, it'll be an absolute nobody.

Good. I can live with "normal establishment conservative Republican" in THIS district.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »

If I recall correct, Hastings was one of the ones that Hastert stacked the ethics committee with in order to shield Delay.

That sort of makes me long for an outsider here.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 12:57:15 AM »

If I recall correct, Hastings was one of the ones that Hastert stacked the ethics committee with in order to shield Delay.

An outsider in such district is, usually, an extremely conservative outsider. You know - i am not a big fan of such political candidates (though almost the same i can say for "far left" as well)...
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

An outsider in such district is, usually, an extremely conservative outsider. You know - i am not a big fan of such political candidates (though almost the same i can say for "far left" as well)...

That wasn't the case in LA-05 though, clearly.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:39 AM »

I wouldn't call him moderate either. But, probably the best that you can get from such district
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »

I wouldn't call him moderate either. But, probably the best that you can get from such district

He was more moderate than the establishment guy though.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »

Yes. That happens. But - very rarely. I am at loss about second such case in the last years. Usually it's the way i formulated above - politics REALLY became much more polarized as of late. So much so, that there is a serious danger of having "2 nations", with absolutely no overlap, in one state
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 01:31:52 AM »

Yes. That happens. But - very rarely. I am at loss about second such case in the last years. Usually it's the way i formulated above - politics REALLY became much more polarized as of late. So much so, that there is a serious danger of having "2 nations", with absolutely no overlap, in one state

KS-02 2008 maybe and KS-03 2010 primaries in some ways count as such as well. MI 2010 Gubernatorial primary also.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »

KS-02 2008 maybe and KS-03 2010 primaries in some ways count as such as well. MI 2010 Gubernatorial primary also.

Agree on MI-GOV-2010. Will look on Kansas. But Jenkins turned out to be much more conservative then i expected, and Yoder severely disappoints me too
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »

Agree on MI-GOV-2010. Will look on Kansas. But Jenkins turned out to be much more conservative then i expected, and Yoder severely disappoints me too

Politicians tend to disappoint once in office in general.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »

State Sen. Sharon Brown is out.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies