Jim Gerlach retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:32:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gerlach retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Jim Gerlach retiring  (Read 6842 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »

Sabato has it as Toss-Up. I think it's a bit more Tilt/Lean R. Certainly not impossible for Dems to win here, but I won't hold my breath.

That being said, there's something to be said about the flight of GOP moderates in the house. Gerlach, Latham, Runyan, Wolf. If LoBiondo or Reichert retire next, that'll just be the icing on the cake.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »

Sabato has it as Toss-Up. I think it's a bit more Tilt/Lean R. Certainly not impossible for Dems to win here, but I won't hold my breath.

That being said, there's something to be said about the flight of GOP moderates in the house. Gerlach, Latham, Runyan, Wolf. If LoBiondo or Reichert retire next, that'll just be the icing on the cake.

It most definitely Tilts R. I obviously disagree with a few Republicans on the forum, and I think McGinty would be a fool not to drop down, but the seat definitely favors Republicans.

If Reichert retires, he'll probably go for Murray's seat.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »

Yeah, Tilts R makes sense here. They should win as long as they elect someone mainstream, but if they elect the wrong candidate.....

I do find it interesting that a quite a few of the Republican moderates/mainline conservatives are retiring. And don't bring up the Matheson retirement, because unlike these guys he wasn't safe.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »

I wish somebody would primary Corbett…anybody…anybody?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »

Bueller?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue

So you're saying Corbett is a tea-partier?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »

I think he's being sarcastic. The establishment has also blown several races.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »

Am I the only Dem frustrated that all of these GOP retirements in winnable districts are coming this year?

I don't see a Dem wave developing in 2014. If anything, I expect it to be a marginally GOP friendly year with a pickup of perhaps 3-4 seats (though perhaps less because of the balance caused by these open seats).

If Wolf, Runyan, Gerlach, etc., etc., retired in 2016, I think there would be a lot better chances in each of the seats.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »

Am I the only Dem frustrated that all of these GOP retirements in winnable districts are coming this year?

I don't see a Dem wave developing in 2014. If anything, I expect it to be a marginally GOP friendly year with a pickup of perhaps 3-4 seats (though perhaps less because of the balance caused by these open seats).

If Wolf, Runyan, Gerlach, etc., etc., retired in 2016, I think there would be a lot better chances in each of the seats.

I'm pretty sure that's precisely why they're retiring now instead of in 2016. Their party would never forgive them if they lost all these seats in a presidential election.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »

My point exactly.

Of course not, that is the point of what I am trying make about tihs made embrace of everything establishment GOP.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »

I was in the old 13th. I'm now a street outside of it thanks to redistricting. I'm in PA 1 now. I am no where near the new PA 6. I live in Philadelphia.

Hey, we live in the same district. Were you one of the 15% who voted for Featherman? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »

I was in the old 13th. I'm now a street outside of it thanks to redistricting. I'm in PA 1 now. I am no where near the new PA 6. I live in Philadelphia.

Hey, we live in the same district. Were you one of the 15% who voted for Featherman? Tongue

Yes and John is a personal friend of mine. Hilariously ironic if people do some research on Featherman...
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »

Yes and John is a personal friend of mine. Hilariously ironic if people do some research on Featherman...

Since this is Philadelphia, I'd imagine all the republicans there know each other pretty well. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

Since this is Philadelphia, I'd imagine all the republicans there know each other pretty well. Tongue

Trust me when I say that that doesn't mean we all like each other.  Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

Oh, now I feel bad for making fun of his vote total.

This is him I'm guessing? http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/John_Featherman.htm
I like his ideology! Too bad, if I could replace Bachmann, Gohmert, or King with him, I would in an instant.

I live in the suburbs, just barely missed being in Meehan's district, which I was annoyed with because I wanted my vote to be able to help House Dems. Damn gerrymandering.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to understand my feelings towards Santorum. That's what makes my friendship with Featherman so contradictory on the surface.

Ah, so you're in the often forgotten Delaware county part of the district. Wealthy or poor area? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »

If you don't know how I feel about Rick then you really haven't earned your place here.  Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 12:18:11 AM »

If you don't know how I feel about Rick then you really haven't earned your place here.  Tongue

I'll just assume you were devastated when he dropped out before the PA primary then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »

I'll just assume you were devastated when he dropped out before the PA primary then.

Sad

I was at least thrilled that he was able to get on the ballot here so I could vote for him. A proud moment.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »

As do we UT Dems. Cheesy
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »

Lean Rep I guess?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »

I've also heard State Senators Andy Dinniman and Judy Schwankvfloated. Commissioner Kathi Cozzone would be good too.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »

No.  I'm saying that Corbett is a dead man walking right now, and I want somebody to primary him to help save the seat.  I'd hate for PA to break its tradition of voting for the same party twice before switching.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »

Almost forgot:  the establishment didn't lose those races; the Tea Party movement lost it for them because Democrats were successful at linking the entire GOP ticket in 2012 to the Tea Party movement, regardless of whether the candidates themselves were Tea Partiers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies