Jim Gerlach retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:35:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gerlach retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Jim Gerlach retiring  (Read 6848 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »

Chesco Commish Ryan Costello is interested on the Pub side.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

State Senator Schwenk is interested as is 2010 candidate Trivedi.

I've also heard State Senators Andy Dinniman and Judy Schwankvfloated. Commissioner Kathi Cozzone would be good too.

Interesting tidbit: today was the reorganization (swearing in) of the county commissioners. Cozzone voted to re-elect Costello as Chair and Costello voted to re-elect Cozzone as Vice Chair. Cheesy  (Usually just a formality on these three member boards.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »

I wish somebody would primary Corbett…anybody…anybody?

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue

So you're saying Corbett is a tea-partier?

I think he's being sarcastic. The establishment has also blown several races.

So was I Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »

DCCC and Emily's List are trying to get Montco Commissioner Leslie Richards to run.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »

Downingtown Mayor Josh Maxwell still running for State House. McGinty most likely has no plans to switch either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

Leslie Richards announced that she is not running.

Parrish was interviewed the other day and called himself a "centrist moderate" (as opposed to...?). His history as a pretty active Republican is being highlighted. Wait until we find out who he donated to recently...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »

Judy Schwank is also out. However, State Rep. Mike Rozzi is in.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

How good of a candidate is he? Is he suited for the district?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue

No.  I'm saying that Corbett is a dead man walking right now, and I want somebody to primary him to help save the seat.  I'd hate for PA to break its tradition of voting for the same party twice before switching.

Yes, you want an insurgent outsider to knock out an unpopular Republican Governor heavily entrenched and supported by the GOP establishment in the state, in order to save the seat from being a certain loss.  Like So. Tongue

Why do you think the tea party began in the first place?

Almost forgot:  the establishment didn't lose those races; the Tea Party movement lost it for them because Democrats were successful at linking the entire GOP ticket in 2012 to the Tea Party movement, regardless of whether the candidates themselves were Tea Partiers.

So a political manuevre by the Democrats in 2012, caused Senators George Allen, Conrad Burns and Ted Stevens, as well as Governor Frank Murkowski to be defeated in 2006 and 2008?  How does that work, exactly?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »

He's only been in office for a year, and his district barely overlaps with PA-06 (Although given how gerrymandered it is, that's probably going to be true for everyone who gets in the race). Other than that, he's a mystery.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »

Costello's in.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:55 AM »

Almost forgot:  the establishment didn't lose those races; the Tea Party movement lost it for them because Democrats were successful at linking the entire GOP ticket in 2012 to the Tea Party movement, regardless of whether the candidates themselves were Tea Partiers.

So a political manuevre by the Democrats in 2012, caused Senators George Allen, Conrad Burns and Ted Stevens, as well as Governor Frank Murkowski to be defeated in 2006 and 2008?  How does that work, exactly?
No, because the Tea Party movement didn't exist then.  But once the Tea Party movement came along, Democrats were able to tie all Republicans running in 2012 to them and make them look bad (especially after Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock's gaffes.)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »

Political views? Hope - not another tea-party extremist.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »

I don't know much, but he doesn't seem kooky.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

No, because the Tea Party movement didn't exist then.  But once the Tea Party movement came along, Democrats were able to tie all Republicans running in 2012 to them and make them look bad (especially after Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock's gaffes.)

Miles correctly interpretted my sarcasm and you responded as if to lay the blame for those blown seats as well at the feat of the tea party (see bolded above). The problem for you is that the examples I listed above were the ones I had in mind when I made the comment and thus in no way is your post from the seventh accurate.

The problem with you approach is that it entirely absolves the establsihment candidates who ran incompentent campaigns of their own incompetence, which will only lead to more blown races going forward by nominating people like Tillis here in NC or Deal in GA, or even Corbett in PA. The sides will use the other's incompetence to shield themselve from their own and discourage dissent and challengers on the grounds that they would be Akin or Mourdoch and thus you should save the seat by going with Tillis or Corbett. Yea, see how that works.

Perspective, that is what it is all about. Highlighting one and not the other will only create this stupid herd mentality on electability.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:32 PM »

Miles correctly interpretted my sarcasm and you responded as if to lay the blame for those blown seats as well at the feat of the tea party (see bolded above). The problem for you is that the examples I listed above were the ones I had in mind when I made the comment and thus in no way is your post from the seventh accurate.

The problem with you approach is that it entirely absolves the establsihment candidates who ran incompentent campaigns of their own incompetence, which will only lead to more blown races going forward by nominating people like Tillis here in NC or Deal in GA, or even Corbett in PA. The sides will use the other's incompetence to shield themselve from their own and discourage dissent and challengers on the grounds that they would be Akin or Mourdoch and thus you should save the seat by going with Tillis or Corbett. Yea, see how that works.

Perspective, that is what it is all about. Highlighting one and not the other will only create this stupid herd mentality on electability.
Deal and Corbett won in 2010; Deal looks like he's in strong position for reelection as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »

Cozzone confirms that she is looking into the race while State Senator Dinniman is also reportedly considering it. The latter would be huge.

On the GOP side, DiGiorgio decided against running and is throwing his support behind Costello.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

Deal and Corbett won in 2010; Deal looks like he's in strong position for reelection as well.

Who cares when they were elected? I wanted Oxendine and then in the runoff, I wanted Handle in Georgia.

Appearences are deceptive. Deal's scandals could break lose and tank him at any point.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2014, 09:25:53 PM by Bill Belichick's Hoodie »

Phil LaRue, the communications director for the New Democrat Coalition, is out. So is Rohrer, reducing the odds of a Tea Partier getting the nom.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »

Yeah, without Rohrer, it's Costello.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »

Phil, i repeat my question about Costello's views. You, probably, must know...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2014, 12:04:57 AM »

I've met Ryan on a few occasions and we have mutual friends. From what I know of him, he leans more to the center than the far right. I think he's a pretty standard conservative Republican with centrist tendencies.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2014, 05:21:44 AM »

I've met Ryan on a few occasions and we have mutual friends. From what I know of him, he leans more to the center than the far right. I think he's a pretty standard conservative Republican with centrist tendencies.

Thanks! A sort of Republicans i surely respect (though i am further to the left myself)
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »

Are his views on illegal immigration like those of Gerlach?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »

Pending a hopeful sale of house, I may very well have a vote here in the General here!

That said if Rafferty gets the GOP nominee, I hate to say Game Over for the Dems.  If Rohrer gets it, the race is competitive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies