Jim Gerlach retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:18:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gerlach retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jim Gerlach retiring  (Read 6835 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »

The Governor's race isn't going to matter that much. Gerlach surviced Swann getting 38% and Santorum getting 41%, and I am sure that whoever the GOP candidate is will be okay with Corbett's numbers, whatever they turn out to be.

The shame of it is, whoever the replacement is, they probably won't be as good as Jim Gerlach.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »

I wish somebody would primary Corbett…anybody…anybody?

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »

Oh but you are mistaken, it is only tea party candidates who blow winnable races. Tongue

So you're saying Corbett is a tea-partier?

I think he's being sarcastic. The establishment has also blown several races.

My point exactly.

Of course not, that is the point of what I am trying make about tihs made embrace of everything establishment GOP.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »

No.  I'm saying that Corbett is a dead man walking right now, and I want somebody to primary him to help save the seat.  I'd hate for PA to break its tradition of voting for the same party twice before switching.

Yes, you want an insurgent outsider to knock out an unpopular Republican Governor heavily entrenched and supported by the GOP establishment in the state, in order to save the seat from being a certain loss.  Like So. Tongue

Why do you think the tea party began in the first place?

Almost forgot:  the establishment didn't lose those races; the Tea Party movement lost it for them because Democrats were successful at linking the entire GOP ticket in 2012 to the Tea Party movement, regardless of whether the candidates themselves were Tea Partiers.

So a political manuevre by the Democrats in 2012, caused Senators George Allen, Conrad Burns and Ted Stevens, as well as Governor Frank Murkowski to be defeated in 2006 and 2008?  How does that work, exactly?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

Almost forgot:  the establishment didn't lose those races; the Tea Party movement lost it for them because Democrats were successful at linking the entire GOP ticket in 2012 to the Tea Party movement, regardless of whether the candidates themselves were Tea Partiers.

So a political manuevre by the Democrats in 2012, caused Senators George Allen, Conrad Burns and Ted Stevens, as well as Governor Frank Murkowski to be defeated in 2006 and 2008?  How does that work, exactly?
No, because the Tea Party movement didn't exist then.  But once the Tea Party movement came along, Democrats were able to tie all Republicans running in 2012 to them and make them look bad (especially after Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock's gaffes.)

Miles correctly interpretted my sarcasm and you responded as if to lay the blame for those blown seats as well at the feat of the tea party (see bolded above). The problem for you is that the examples I listed above were the ones I had in mind when I made the comment and thus in no way is your post from the seventh accurate.

The problem with you approach is that it entirely absolves the establsihment candidates who ran incompentent campaigns of their own incompetence, which will only lead to more blown races going forward by nominating people like Tillis here in NC or Deal in GA, or even Corbett in PA. The sides will use the other's incompetence to shield themselve from their own and discourage dissent and challengers on the grounds that they would be Akin or Mourdoch and thus you should save the seat by going with Tillis or Corbett. Yea, see how that works.

Perspective, that is what it is all about. Highlighting one and not the other will only create this stupid herd mentality on electability.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

No, because the Tea Party movement didn't exist then.  But once the Tea Party movement came along, Democrats were able to tie all Republicans running in 2012 to them and make them look bad (especially after Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock's gaffes.)

Miles correctly interpretted my sarcasm and you responded as if to lay the blame for those blown seats as well at the feat of the tea party (see bolded above). The problem for you is that the examples I listed above were the ones I had in mind when I made the comment and thus in no way is your post from the seventh accurate.

The problem with you approach is that it entirely absolves the establsihment candidates who ran incompentent campaigns of their own incompetence, which will only lead to more blown races going forward by nominating people like Tillis here in NC or Deal in GA, or even Corbett in PA. The sides will use the other's incompetence to shield themselve from their own and discourage dissent and challengers on the grounds that they would be Akin or Mourdoch and thus you should save the seat by going with Tillis or Corbett. Yea, see how that works.

Perspective, that is what it is all about. Highlighting one and not the other will only create this stupid herd mentality on electability.
Deal and Corbett won in 2010; Deal looks like he's in strong position for reelection as well.

Who cares when they were elected? I wanted Oxendine and then in the runoff, I wanted Handle in Georgia.

Appearences are deceptive. Deal's scandals could break lose and tank him at any point.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:09:04 AM »

Are his views on illegal immigration like those of Gerlach?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies