Jim Gerlach retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:57:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gerlach retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jim Gerlach retiring  (Read 6881 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: January 06, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »

Needless to say, a surprise here especially after only one election in the new, favorable district. Go figure. Before this news went public, the buzz was that he was leaving to take on Corbett. Nothing else made sense. But his team threw water on that pretty quickly. He isn't running.

Even with the other issues we will have this year, the Dems won't get this seat. We have some strong candidates.

My take on the potential candidates (as requested):

State Senator Rafferty is a popular official. He's moderate and well known. Not sure he'd give up his spot now but he said he's considering it.

Ryan Costello is a young county commissioner. Keep an eye on him. Also keep an eye on his Republican colleague commissioner, Terence Farrell. He's worth some research if you're really interested in this race.

The Chester county GOP chair, Val DiGiorgio, is rumored as well. Obvious advantage would be institutional support. He's also the current county controller so he has electability cred outside of his party advantages.

I doubt Sam Rohrer runs but he has a strong following that could propel him to victory in the primary. And yes, he could win the General.

For the Dems: McGinty could make it interesting but I don't know how strong her ties are out there. She's originally from my area (literally five minutes from me). She said she definitely isn't doing it. Senator Casey's brother is also in this new district.

There's a buzz about this guy Michael Parrish, a former Republican with a background in finance. I'm guessing he'll be the guy if Casey doesn't run.

It's amazing how ignorant our Moderate Hero is. Must be unaware of redistricting. Not a safe GOP seat but we are certainly favored.

I think he's in Allyson Schwartz's PA-13 (which is also open) -- he was definitely there in the 2000s but redistricting might've moved him out.

I was in the old 13th. I'm now a street outside of it thanks to redistricting. I'm in PA 1 now. I am no where near the new PA 6. I live in Philadelphia.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

Guys, calculate this: the seat is staying Republican. Next...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »

I was in the old 13th. I'm now a street outside of it thanks to redistricting. I'm in PA 1 now. I am no where near the new PA 6. I live in Philadelphia.

Hey, we live in the same district. Were you one of the 15% who voted for Featherman? Tongue

Yes and John is a personal friend of mine. Hilariously ironic if people do some research on Featherman...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

Hey, we live in the same district. Were you one of the 15% who voted for Featherman? Tongue

Yes and John is a personal friend of mine. Hilariously ironic if people do some research on Featherman...

Since this is Philadelphia, I'd imagine all the republicans there know each other pretty well. Tongue

Trust me when I say that that doesn't mean we all like each other.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to understand my feelings towards Santorum. That's what makes my friendship with Featherman so contradictory on the surface.

Ah, so you're in the often forgotten Delaware county part of the district. Wealthy or poor area? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »

If you don't know how I feel about Rick then you really haven't earned your place here.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »

If you don't know how I feel about Rick then you really haven't earned your place here.  Tongue

I'll just assume you were devastated when he dropped out before the PA primary then.

Sad

I was at least thrilled that he was able to get on the ballot here so I could vote for him. A proud moment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

State Senator Schwenk is interested as is 2010 candidate Trivedi.

I've also heard State Senators Andy Dinniman and Judy Schwankvfloated. Commissioner Kathi Cozzone would be good too.

Interesting tidbit: today was the reorganization (swearing in) of the county commissioners. Cozzone voted to re-elect Costello as Chair and Costello voted to re-elect Cozzone as Vice Chair. Cheesy  (Usually just a formality on these three member boards.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »

DCCC and Emily's List are trying to get Montco Commissioner Leslie Richards to run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

Leslie Richards announced that she is not running.

Parrish was interviewed the other day and called himself a "centrist moderate" (as opposed to...?). His history as a pretty active Republican is being highlighted. Wait until we find out who he donated to recently...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »

Cozzone confirms that she is looking into the race while State Senator Dinniman is also reportedly considering it. The latter would be huge.

On the GOP side, DiGiorgio decided against running and is throwing his support behind Costello.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »

Yeah, without Rohrer, it's Costello.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 12:04:57 AM »

Phil, i repeat my question about Costello's views. You, probably, must know...

I've met Ryan on a few occasions and we have mutual friends. From what I know of him, he leans more to the center than the far right. I think he's a pretty standard conservative Republican with centrist tendencies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »

Cozzone is out, and Rossi has changed his mind. Democrats seem to be coalescing around Parrish.

Congrats Phil.

The Cozzone news is from a few days ago but I didn't hear about Rozzi. Interesting. The seat was not going to flip anyway. This just makes it even better for the GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies