CNN: 55% favor marijuana legalization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:34:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CNN: 55% favor marijuana legalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CNN: 55% favor marijuana legalization  (Read 1911 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Good developments.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »

This doesn't align with my personal moral values, so clearly it must be stopped at once.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:38 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »

Is there any other issue where there's such a dramatic disconnect between politicians and regular people? A majority of the country supports legalizing marijuana; I doubt more than ten or twenty Congresspeople do.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »

It would seem that the stigma is surely breaking down and just maybe that the "war on drugs" is perceived as doing more harm than good.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »

Is there any other issue where there's such a dramatic disconnect between politicians and regular people? A majority of the country supports legalizing marijuana; I doubt more than ten or twenty Congresspeople do.

Hopefully, the next generation of politicians will put things right.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »

Most political issues.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »

Hopefully, the next generation of politicians will put things right.

Waiting on politicians to do the right thing is a recipe for disaster.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »

Neither the administration through the DEA (2011) nor Congress (2012) has been willing to do the natural step of moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »

Most political issues.

Which political issues? I can't think of any other issue with majority popular support that doesn't have the support of one or both parties or at least significant factions of the parties. I don't think there are more than ten representatives in the House, meanwhile, who support marijuana legalization.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »

Most political issues.

Which political issues? I can't think of any other issue with majority popular support that doesn't have the support of one or both parties or at least significant factions of the parties. I don't think there are more than ten representatives in the House, meanwhile, who support marijuana legalization.
90% of America supports universal background checks and that failed. 60% supports raising the minimum wage; no progress there. While marijuana is one of the most underrepresented issues in congress, they fail again and again to produce results that America actually wants.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

Most political issues.

90% of America supports universal background checks and that failed. 60% supports raising the minimum wage; no progress there. While marijuana is one of the most underrepresented issues in congress, they fail again and again to produce results that America actually wants.
Yes, but background checks are supported by nearly all Democrats and some Republicans. A minimum wage increase is also supported by almost all Democrats. Those issues may have failed/stagnated, but at least they had/have large support blocs. The same cannot be said about marijuana legalization.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »

Universal background checks
Raising taxes on millionaires/billionaires
Increasing minimum wage
Not cutting Medicare/Social Security
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »

Most political issues.

Yes, but background checks are supported by nearly all Democrats and some Republicans. A minimum wage increase is also supported by almost all Democrats. Those issues may have failed/stagnated, but at least they had/have large support blocs. The same cannot be said about marijuana legalization.
You could argue that universal background check support and marijuana legalization support is 40% lower among politicians than it is among the public.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2014, 11:41:42 PM by Scott »

Most political issues.

You could argue that universal background check support and marijuana legalization support is 40% lower among politicians than it is among the public.

I've come to find that if progressives actually want to change things, they're better off doing it through the states.  Gay marriage, pot, single-payer, minimum wage, you name it.  Lobbyists and corporations simply don't devote resources to fighting state reforms like they do fighting national ones, so more can get done through those means.

I mean, at this point, I think I'd trade control of the Senate for majority control of the state legislatures and governorships.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »

The states are the laboratories of democracy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »

Bueno. Muy bueno.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »

Universal background checks
Raising taxes on millionaires/billionaires
Increasing minimum wage
Not cutting Medicare/Social Security

Precisely - anything that Capital wants, it gets - it doesn't matter one bit what the majority wants.  So, if marijuana were to remain illegal, one would have to ask - why do the people that matter want it to be illegal.  (as a matter of fact I doubt Capital cares very deeply about this particular bit of the oppression).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

On balance, federalism has probably done far more harm than good for the country.
Link
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »

Most political issues.

Yeah but marijuana doesn't have some lunatic visceral reactive block of partisans that swears up and down legalizing it is "tyranny" and the next step is the government sending black helicopters to rape your wife.

I mean barely a majority support marijuana legalization and the opposition in DC is more akin to disinterested foot dragging.  I mean why is something that only polls 55% meet with universal but exceedingly mild indifferent neglect and then something that 90% of the countries actually believes in met with visceral convulsions.  When the Holder justice department came out and said we aren't going to be kicking in doors in Colorado and Washington just to bust people for small amounts of pot I didn't see any right wing lunatic campaign ads.

When someones said maybe we should at least do the same level of scrutiny we do for a 16 year old getting a drivers license when we are handing out 50 Caliber sniper rifles the right wing lost their collective minds.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »

On balance, federalism has probably done far more harm than good for the country.

Even though state legislatures have a tendency to pass really questionable laws at times, can we dispute that they are far more efficient and less corrupt than the federal government overall?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies