NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:30:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law)  (Read 682 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2014, 05:53:48 PM by cinyc »

The Role of the Speaker Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor SirNick

Debate on this bill shall remain open for 72 hours, or until around 9PM on January 10, 2014, unless modified or extended.  The sponsor, Governor SirNick, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.   If the sponsor does not speak, because there is other legislation in the proposed legislation thread, the bill will be tabled and the Assembly will move on to the next bill.

The floor is open to debate.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

I'm open to amendments on this. Simply makes sure the Speaker and Lieutenant Governor cannot be the same person. In addition, gives the CJO power to open a session of the Assembly, aka calling for a vote on Speaker and administering that election.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with leaving this power solely with the CJO.  I have full faith in dallasfan, but looking beyond his time as CJO we haven't always had the most prompt response from the office.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:44:29 PM »

Shouldn't the Lt. Governor have the power to open nominations and hold elections for speaker, too?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with leaving this power solely with the CJO.  I have full faith in dallasfan, but looking beyond his time as CJO we haven't always had the most prompt response from the office.

Shouldn't the Lt. Governor have the power to open nominations and hold elections for speaker, too?

This new power for the CJO, would be in addition to the Lieutenant Governor's power. We can amend to read "in absence of a Lieutenant Governor" if that works better for ya'll.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

I'd suggest that we not limit the CJO's power to only when the LG is absent. In my opinion, it would be preferable to have both of them be able to open the election as soon as possible, so as to get that out of the way quickly and begin working on legislation.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:15 PM »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with leaving this power solely with the CJO.  I have full faith in dallasfan, but looking beyond his time as CJO we haven't always had the most prompt response from the office.

This new power for the CJO, would be in addition to the Lieutenant Governor's power. We can amend to read "in absence of a Lieutenant Governor" if that works better for ya'll.

Nothing technically says that the Lt. Governor has the power to open Speaker elections in case of a vacancy - or arguably even at the beginning of the session.  Article II, Section 12 of the Fourth Northeast Constitution merely states that the Lt. Governor "officially opens and closes the legislative sessions of the Northeast Legislative Assembly."  It says nothing about vacancies and arguably is silent about who organizes the Speaker election.  

So I think we have to state that the Lt. Governor or CJO can open speaker elections, not just the CJO.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »

Amendment:

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

Cincinnatus' Amendment is friendly and I propose the following amended amendment:
[quote]
The Northeast SOAP is amended to include the following:

1. The positions of Speaker of the Assembly and the Lieutenant Governor may not simultaneously be filled by the same person.
2. The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast shall be the primary administrator of the election for Speaker of the Assembly. The Lieutenant Governor shall have the power to open nominations and hold elections for Speaker of the Assembly in the event that the office of Speaker is vacant. 
3.The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast, in the event that the Lt. Governor is absent, or the office is vacant, shall have the power to open nominations and hold elections for Speaker of the Assembly in the event that the office of Speaker is vacant. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

I agree with the Cincinnatus amendment.  It is to the point.

However, I am of the belief that the Lieutenant Governor really does not have all that much responsibility, and I see no conflict or problem in the Lieutenant Governor holding both offices at the same time.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

I agree with the Cincinnatus amendment.  It is to the point.

However, I am of the belief that the Lieutenant Governor really does not have all that much responsibility, and I see no conflict or problem in the Lieutenant Governor holding both offices at the same time.

When I was in the Assembly, we had a fiasco with being unable to elect a Speaker because the Lieutenant Gov and Speaker was the same inactive person.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »

That is a problem.
But this time we lost both the LG and the Speaker. Those things happen. That is why the CJO can call for an election for a new Speaker and the Governor can appoint a new Lieutenant Governor.

I agree with cinyc that the Lieutenant Governor should be able to run for Speaker.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

You mean serve as, not run - Earthling.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »

You first have to be elected as Speaker by the assembly. So run for and serve as Speaker.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »

Does someone want to propose an amendment to vote on?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »

You guys want to give me the ability to be Lt. Governor and Speaker?  My, such power.  Serious note though, there's no reason to prevent the Lt. Governor from becoming Speaker, provided there are alternative officials that can open a vote for Speaker.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »

Just for information, I heard about the time there was a problem with someone being Speaker and Lieutenant Governor. After that time there was an amendment (Improving the chain of command amendment) accepted by the population in July 2013.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=176511.msg3801017#msg3801017

I think it was in part to solve the problem of the same person holding the two office. If the person disappear, the power of speaker goes to the most senior representative in terms of length.

Not sure if it was modified after it was adopted. It doesn't specify who runs the booth for speaker nomination. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »

Just for information, I heard about the time there was a problem with someone being Speaker and Lieutenant Governor. After that time there was an amendment (Improving the chain of command amendment) accepted by the population in July 2013.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=176511.msg3801017#msg3801017

I think it was in part to solve the problem of the same person holding the two office. If the person disappear, the power of speaker goes to the most senior representative in terms of length.

Not sure if it was modified after it was adopted. It doesn't specify who runs the booth for speaker nomination. 

Thanks.  That amendment isn't incorporated on the Northeast Constitution page.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »

We're running out of time to debate this.  Does anyone want to propose a formal amendment to strike section 1 and allow the Lt. Governor to be speaker?  I do not, as I think it is wise to separate the two offices.  But if someone doesn't propose an amendment soon, we will vote on a bill that has the dual office bar.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »

I don't necessarily have a preference regarding letting the Lt. Governor become Speaker, or not.  Regardless, it has created problems in the past.  While these problems could be prevented with carefully written text, I'm perfectly fine with voting on the final version of the bill, as my amendment was accepted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »

The debate period is over.  Seeing no amendment on the floor, we will vote on final passage of the bill as drafted:

Role of the Speaker Act

This vote will remain open until the earlier of 48 hours or when all Representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »

Aye
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »

Aye