Schweitzer:"In England, a baby’s born and they know he’ll grow up to be king..."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Schweitzer:"In England, a baby’s born and they know he’ll grow up to be king..."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Schweitzer:"In England, a baby’s born and they know he’ll grow up to be king..."  (Read 4676 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »

I mean, seriously, why don't he just come out of his hidden closet and announce that he's running for president already? Tongue

Here's the last quote from his most recent Slate interview: "Right. Fleetwood Mac, “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.” So what do we play next time? The Beatles, “Yesterday”? In England, a baby’s born and they know he’ll grow up to be king someday. We’re not England. We’re America."

Read the entire interview here and try to convince yourself that he's not running: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/01/brian_schweitzer_interview_the_former_montana_governor_is_the_most_likely.single.html
LOL. He's certainly more serious about this than any of the Republican contenders so far! Wink
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »

WOW!

I haven't really researched Schweitzer much yet (apart from reading about him in this forum and seeing parts of his convention speech last year), seeing as I'm from Denmark and the primaries haven't started yet, but that was a quite remarkable read. Usually prospective presidential candidates express themselves in very diplomatic terms. Not so with this guy. Not only is he very direct and critical, this whole interview is full of quotables.

Of course, you might say that this is the style of the outsider who's only chance at the nomination is to upset the rest of the field (Hillary) by being very direct and different.

So I like that he seems very direct and honest and I'm sure people will like that. What I don't like is that sometimes answers that are deemed "political" or without substance, are infact a reflection of the fact that issues are nuanced. From this interview Schweitzer seems more like a black/white type of person, even if I personally agree with the vast majority of what he says - I guess I just wouldn't have put it in such black/white terms.

He's gonna be interesting to watch for sure. And yes, he is obviously running.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »

I'd say we do to him like TR - stick him in VP so that'll shut 'em up and hopefully nothing happens to POTUS.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »

I'd say we do to him like TR - stick him in VP so that'll shut 'em up and hopefully nothing happens to POTUS.
Haha!!!! Smiley
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »

Hillary was born into an American political dynasty? News to me.

I really am losing most of my respect for Schweitzer.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

*bump*

More Schweitzer sniping at Clinton:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:44:15 PM »

I truly hope this man becomes President soon.
Hamster
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »

*bump*

link

Can you copy the entirety of this article?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

*bump*

link

No, because that's against copyright rules.
Hamster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »

*bump*

link

oh?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 01:05:24 AM »

*bump*

link

oh?

Speaking of the Clintons being pawns of the large corporations, that another thing you can thank the Clintons for. The tough penalties for copyright infringement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:20:41 AM »

*bump*

link

oh?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »

Just go to Google News and search for "Schweitzer".  It's the first link there.  As long as you click the link via Google News, you evade the paywall.  But if you click it from Atlas, it prompts you for login info.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 01:52:56 AM »

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/01/brian_schweitzer_interview_the_former_montana_governor_is_the_most_likely.single.html

I can explain to you the difference between a Shia and a Sunni: Persians and Arabs don't get along.
Mujahadeen = Osama bin Laden. Taliban is irrelevant.
Afghanistan is in the Stone Age, so who gives a  what happens to it.
Woodrow Wilson and Obama are big military-industrial complex corporatist Democrats, unlike FDR, LBJ and Bill Clinton.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »

I have to laugh at politicians who weren't Senators at the time of the Iraq vote criticizing Hillary. Everyone knows Schweitzer would have voted for it had he been one in 2002, same with Obama.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »

Good jab.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »

I have to laugh at politicians who weren't Senators at the time of the Iraq vote criticizing Hillary. Everyone knows Schweitzer would have voted for it had he been one in 2002, same with Obama.

Well, Democrats didn't unanimously vote to authorize the Iraq war. And I don't think it's too much to say a candidate who was in the senate can be criticized for their votes by candidates who weren't. But you can laugh at the other Schweitzer's attacks when you remember he campaigned for McAuliffe in the 2009 Virginia gubernatorial primary, transparently cozying up to Clinton donors for 2016. In any case, his own record on guns would probably keep him from getting too much traction in a Democratic primary. But the guy certainly has a flare for words.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

People critcising other people over Iraq just suck. I mean they were fed lies.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

People critcising other people over Iraq just suck. I mean they were fed lies.

The poor babies. Sad
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »

I strongly support any attempt to burst the Clinton dynasty's bubble.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

Nominating anyone other than Clinton is handing the GOP the Presidency for at least 4 years.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »

Yup. Obama's FISA reversal proves that. If he didn't have the principle to vote against that once he was a candidate, why would he have voted against the Iraq War?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2014, 02:09:02 PM by A dog on every car, a car in every elevator »

Yup. Obama's FISA reversal proves that. If he didn't have the principle to vote against that once he was a candidate, why would he have voted against the Iraq War?

Because maybe he really believes in government spying the crap out of one but not in hasty, open-ended military occupations. His presidency kind of suggests that actually.

Nominating anyone other than Clinton is handing the GOP the Presidency for at least 4 years.

I disagree the GOP is favored if Hillary doesn't run. Hypothetically, there's an argument that she has more weaknesses in a general than someone like Schweitzer but it's academic since 2016 isn't 2008 and it's impossible to imagine her not winning the nomination if she runs.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »

Wow, I never realized that the Democratic party was so pathetic.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »

Because maybe he really believes in government spying the crap out of one but not in hasty, open-ended military occupations. His presidency kind of suggests that actually.

I disagree the GOP is favored if Hillary doesn't run. Hypothetically, there's an argument that she has more weaknesses in a general than someone like Schweitzer but it's academic since 2016 isn't 2008 and it's damn near impossible to imagine her not winning the nomination if she runs.

He opposed FISA the entire time he was in the Senate, including during the primaries in 2008. It was only once he became the presumptive nominee that he voted for it, as the article shows.

If you look at the Iraq War roll call vote, everyone that voted against it did not have any presidential aspirations. That was no accident.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies