Homely's UK Maps Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Homely's UK Maps Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Homely's UK Maps Thread  (Read 3862 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2014, 04:04:21 AM by YL »

Though some patterns are still interesting: if you look at that map, note that the very low rates are almost all minority-heavy (to a given definition of minority: Catholics very much included). Places with large student populations tend too have high rates. New Towns often have slightly higher rates than surrounding areas. And once you drill down to ward level in some places other things of interest can some up.

Do you know why Ribble Valley and Hambleton (the latter in particular standing out from its North Yorkshire neighbours) have such low figures?

The range of figures among the large English cities is curious.  Here are the "No religion" percentages for the eight Core Cities, plus four more:

Bristol 37.4
Nottingham 35.0
Hull 34.8
Sheffield 31.2
Newcastle 28.3
Leeds 28.2
Manchester 25.3
Coventry 23.0
Leicester 22.8
Bradford 20.7
Birmingham 19.3
Liverpool 17.7

Now, no doubt most of this can be explained by the point you made about minorities, and comparisons also have to be treated carefully because some of these (in particular all of the top three) have tightly drawn boundaries whereas others (especially Leeds and Bradford, which take in a number of separate towns) don't.

(As an experiment, I've just calculated some figures for a more tightly drawn version of Sheffield, excluding the three wards in Penistone & Stocksbridge constituency and also the three wards in the south-east annexed from Derbyshire in the late 1960s.  Muslim goes up from 7.7% to 9.4%, Christian down from 52.5% to 49.7%, and No Religion up from 31.2% to 32.0%.)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »

Though some patterns are still interesting: if you look at that map, note that the very low rates are almost all minority-heavy (to a given definition of minority: Catholics very much included). Places with large student populations tend too have high rates. New Towns often have slightly higher rates than surrounding areas. And once you drill down to ward level in some places other things of interest can some up.

I've been looking at the low level Datazone counts for Scotland and linking levels of religiousity to the Index of Multiple Deprivation. I've still to pull things together but the results get interesting. Church of Scotland affiliation increases each step the less deprived one gets, as does 'Other Christian' (which is broadly Episcopalian but not easy to manipulate this data), and it does the same for Jewish. With Muslims (where it's closely linked to age) it also increases marginally the less income deprived an area is. For Roman Catholics of course it's the complete opposite with equal levels with Church of Scotland in the most deprived areas. It's worth noting though that while it declines as you get less deprived it does have an uptick at around 8 (if we take 1 as most deprived and 10 as least) before diving down which is the Catholic middle class (I'll need to drill down to Glasgow suburbia to get a more localised view) Indeed all religions seem to take a dive at 10). For those with non belief it's higher with those who are most deprived before dipping in the middle and then rising again with a large uptick at 10.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »

Do you know why Ribble Valley and Hambledon (the latter in particular standing out from its North Yorkshire neighbours) have such low figures?

The remnants of recusancy?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »

Do you know why Ribble Valley and Hambledon (the latter in particular standing out from its North Yorkshire neighbours) have such low figures?

The remnants of recusancy?

That did occur to me, but was Hambleton a strong area for recusancy compared with its neighbours?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »

Hambleton's figures are very similar to those in Richmondshire and Ryedale: it's just one of the eternal issues with mapping data at work.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 02:52:28 AM »

Hambleton's figures are very similar to those in Richmondshire and Ryedale: it's just one of the eternal issues with mapping data at work.

If that's true there's a mistake in the map: the two Rs are in the 20-25% category, but Hambleton is only 10-15%.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 11:03:31 AM by homelycooking »

I decided to put together a new series of maps based on the Boothroyd/Sibboleth/afleitch UK Westminster Constituencies basemap - but I wanted a white background. And I wanted a proper geographic representation of Orkney and Shetland.

So, I painstakingly modified the original basemaps, built myself a little database of the results from 1983 to 2010 (which took three months by itself), and refilled in the maps constituency-by-constituency. The result is spectacular!

I have similar GIFs almost ready for direct C-LD, C-L and L-LD comparisons over the same time period. After that, maybe I'll do minor parties, swings, who knows.

*I use yellow both for the Liberal Democrats and SDP-Liberal Alliance so as to compare 1983-1987 more clearly with 1992-2010.

†When you fill in a 650-constituency map with dozens of colors and then do it 28 more times, mistakes are inevitable. Apologies in advance.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

A work of art! This should be featured in the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »

I decided to put together a new series of maps based on the Boothroyd/Sibboleth/afleitch UK Westminster Constituencies basemap - but I wanted a white background. And I wanted a proper geographic representation of Orkney and Shetland.

So, I painstakingly modified the original basemaps, built myself a little database of the results from 1983 to 2010 (which took three months by itself), and refilled in the maps constituency-by-constituency. The result is spectacular!

I have similar GIFs almost ready for direct C-LD, C-L and L-LD comparisons over the same time period. After that, maybe I'll do minor parties, swings, who knows.

*I use yellow both for the Liberal Democrats and SDP-Liberal Alliance so as to compare 1983-1987 more clearly with 1992-2010.

†When you fill in a 650-constituency map with dozens of colors and then do it 28 more times, mistakes are inevitable. Apologies in advance.

I'm rather ignorant about such things - how does one make an image like that that flips through each election? I've made similar maps showing party vote & swing, and would like to be able to make something like that out of them.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 11:14:38 AM by homelycooking »

Here is a direct comparison between Labour and Conservative:

I'm rather ignorant about such things - how does one make an image like that that flips through each election? I've made similar maps showing party vote & swing, and would like to be able to make something like that out of them.

That's a .gif image composite. Try experimenting with one of the many .gif wizards on the Internet - they're more fun than a barrel of Vikings!
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »

Conservatives vs Liberals:

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

It's back, bitches!

This map indicates the portions of England under which the fires of Hell burn most strongly... Wink

Unsurprisingly, the least irreligious wards are heavily populated by Muslims or Hindus. The five most irreligious wards are all in Brighton and Hove. St Peters and North Laine ward is the most godless in all of England - 55.7% of the adult population professes to have no religion.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »

^ Amazing!! Cheesy
EPG
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »

Thank you for the map. As well as Muslims and Hindus, it also suggests a stronger negative correlation between irreligion and traditionally Catholic areas like Lancashire and Cheshire than between irreligion and Christianity as a whole. Perhaps I'm extrapolating from stylised facts from the NI census. It's remarkable that the England and Wales census publishes no areal figures for the Catholic/Anglican/Reformed faiths, but finds room for Jedi Knights!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »

Not uninteresting, but care should be taken with both the Christian and No Religion results from the census given that we know that there won't have been a uniform (or nearly uniform) interpretation of the answers.* There's no reason to do with religion or religious history that I can think of for the very obvious Severn-Wash effect, for instance. Mostly the figures are useful for extreme results: note the very high percentage in Hebden Bridge (known for its 'alternative' nature), which really sticks out.

*Mind you, even some of the more straightforward sets of census figures are not always as 'accurate' as might be assumed. It is known, for instance, that some people give themselves promotions when answering questions about occupation...
EPG
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »

You don't need a uniform interpretation to chart regional differences, as long as there is no reason to suspect regional biases in interpretation. The judgement of what tends to yield "uniform" interpretations is always subjective, and the most comprehensive questions tend to be the longest and most off-putting ones.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »

Unfortunately in this instance there are very good reasons to suspect geographically significant differences in interpretation. It's a known fact, for instance, that white people are more likely to list their religion as 'Christian' if they live in or right next to a large concentration of minorities.
EPG
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »

I'm sure those white people are also more likely to list their profession as blue-collar and to live in a city - but at what point do we accept that this is the data speaking, rather than explaining it away to comply with our priors?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 06:14:50 AM »

Unfortunately in this instance there are very good reasons to suspect geographically significant differences in interpretation. It's a known fact, for instance, that white people are more likely to list their religion as 'Christian' if they live in or right next to a large concentration of minorities.

In London, perhaps (complicated by African/Carribean community presence). Though there is a striking difference in South London and again in the more 'trendy' parts of North London that are cheek by jowl next to non-Christian religious areas

I think there is a regional pattern here. Wales isn't shown (but was asked the same question) and there's a high wall of Nones at the border. Urban West Midlands is more 'pink' than urban West Yorkshire. Indeed outside the Severn/Wash line the map is almost topographic with deeper red hues in upland areas.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies