Homely's UK Maps Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Homely's UK Maps Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homely's UK Maps Thread  (Read 3913 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »

Other contributors are more than welcome to submit maps or graphics. 'Twas about time we started another thread for this sort of thing.

First, a fairly substantial contribution, if I may say so myself:

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »

These are the 15 English wards with the highest Muslim population:

Rank% MuslimWardCity
185.3%BASTWELLBlackburn
277.7%SHEAR BROWBlackburn
377.3%WASHWOOD HEATHBirmingham
476.3%DANESHOUSE WITH STONEYHULMEBurnley
576.1%TOLLERBradford
675.0%MANNINGHAMBradford
773.9%BORDESLEY GREENBirmingham
872.8%BRADFORD MOORBradford
970.2%SPARKBROOKBirmingham
1069.8%WHITEFIELDPendle
1169.6%SPINNEY HILLSLeicester
1268.9%AUDLEYBlackburn
1368.2%WERNETHOldham
1467.1%MILKSTONE AND DEEPLISHRochdale
1564.7%PARKHalifax

The highest Muslim population in a Greater London ward is 50.4% - Green Street West in Newham - and comes in at no. 36 on the list for the whole of England.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:08 AM »

Surprised. I expected a Tower Hamlets ward up there.

Tower Hamlets' most heavily Muslim ward (St Dunstans and Stepney Green, 48.7% Muslim) is only no. 41 on the list. Your surprise is due to the fact that even though Tower Hamlets' Muslim population is almost twice that of Bradford's (in percentage terms), Bradford's Muslims are heavily concentrated in a few central-city wards, while the (mostly Bangladeshi) population of Tower Hamlets is spread relatively evenly throughout the borough. Due to white flight and the legacy of post-industrialism, many Northern cities have huge racial, religious and linguistic disparities between homogeneous populations living in very close proximity to each other.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

Interesting. I thought Croydon (London) would be more Muslim. Nonetheless very very interesting! can we have one with people with no religious belief as well?

Ah, requests! I'd be happy to fill that one.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 11:03:31 AM by homelycooking »

I decided to put together a new series of maps based on the Boothroyd/Sibboleth/afleitch UK Westminster Constituencies basemap - but I wanted a white background. And I wanted a proper geographic representation of Orkney and Shetland.

So, I painstakingly modified the original basemaps, built myself a little database of the results from 1983 to 2010 (which took three months by itself), and refilled in the maps constituency-by-constituency. The result is spectacular!

I have similar GIFs almost ready for direct C-LD, C-L and L-LD comparisons over the same time period. After that, maybe I'll do minor parties, swings, who knows.

*I use yellow both for the Liberal Democrats and SDP-Liberal Alliance so as to compare 1983-1987 more clearly with 1992-2010.

†When you fill in a 650-constituency map with dozens of colors and then do it 28 more times, mistakes are inevitable. Apologies in advance.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2014, 11:14:38 AM by homelycooking »

Here is a direct comparison between Labour and Conservative:

I'm rather ignorant about such things - how does one make an image like that that flips through each election? I've made similar maps showing party vote & swing, and would like to be able to make something like that out of them.

That's a .gif image composite. Try experimenting with one of the many .gif wizards on the Internet - they're more fun than a barrel of Vikings!
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »

Conservatives vs Liberals:

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

It's back, bitches!

This map indicates the portions of England under which the fires of Hell burn most strongly... Wink

Unsurprisingly, the least irreligious wards are heavily populated by Muslims or Hindus. The five most irreligious wards are all in Brighton and Hove. St Peters and North Laine ward is the most godless in all of England - 55.7% of the adult population professes to have no religion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies