Knock Three Times
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:31:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Knock Three Times
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Knock Three Times  (Read 313 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »

Of the readings in the Revised Common Lectionary for 9 January 2014 (Thursday before the First Sunday after Epiphany), I chose to reflect on 1 Samuel 3:1-9.

Knock Three Times

In this reading a young Samuel is lying down at night in the temple, preparing to go to sleep.  Three times God calls to Samuel, but each time Samuel doesn't realize that it is God who is calling him. Each time he thinks it is the high priest Eli who has called him. Upon the third time of asking Eli what he wanted Eli realizes that God is calling Samuel and he instructs the boy on how to respond to God.

In a way, God calls to us all, yet too few of us listen to that call.  Of those who do listen, we may well mistake the call as being from another.  We may get discouraged when who we think is calling turns out to be wrong and stop listening. We may not be as fortunate as Samuel to have an Eli to turn to who can help us realize where that call originates from.  Yet don't let that discourage you.  Take the first step and leave yourself the chance to listen to the call.  Set aside a time each day for calm in which you call hear.  Even if you believe that call will only be from within rather than from the divine, I think you will benefit from it.

(P.S.  Be thankful my taste in pop music is old or I might have titled this reflection Call Me Maybe instead. Grin)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies