Chris Christie is out after Bridgegate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:19:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Chris Christie is out after Bridgegate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Chris Christie is out after Bridgegate?
Yes

No

Not Sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Chris Christie is out after Bridgegate?  (Read 6038 times)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »

No, he he is fine. People don't care about this unless it effected them.

I live near a big city. Traffic jams affect us. This isn't going to help Christie. At all.

You are just say that because you are a hack. Fact is the average vote will not hear about this and think anything of it.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

I live near a big city. Traffic jams affect us. This isn't going to help Christie. At all.

You are just say that because you are a hack. Fact is the average vote will not hear about this and think anything of it.
Bandit has said he believes the 2004 election was stolen, and that Hillary can win Kentucky. I hope he was kidding.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:25:41 PM »

Too late. People know about it already.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

If Christie is too tarnished by this to run, the Republicans are basically screwed in 2016. They've purged just about anyone who can win an election outside a red state or a heavily gerrymandered CD.

Jeb Bush isn't going to cut it. Maybe when his grand kids are grown and enough Americans who remember his brother are dead, one of them can run.

Who else do they have ? Ted Cruz? Rick Santorum? Mitt Romney  v3.0? Rick Perry? Paul Ryan?

They could draft Martinez.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »

That's probably a fair proportion of people tbf.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »

Hard to tell btw. Depends on how much more comes out of it. He was clearly running, and as it is it probably isn't enough to sink him.

However there's no denying his bi-partisan appeal has been damaged, and therefore so has his creditability as a candidate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

Yeah, it's over. He was always going to face a tough primary, but now that his opponents would have another argument than ideological purity, he's probably toast. I'm pretty sure another establishment Republican will emerge by 2016, and he'll end up Giuliani-ed.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »

The -gate at the end of this is annoying and overused.

To answer OP: Of course not, Romney had a lot of baggage and he won the Republican nomination.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »

The -gate at the end of this is annoying and overused.

To answer OP: Of course not, Romney had a lot of baggage and he won the Republican nomination.
And look what happened. Tongue
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »

It's been covered in Britain on the New at 6 and 10. If it's being covered even here, I'd expect it to be pretty salient in the US.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »

Strong no. These things tend to be forgotten, especially when they come up nearly three years out of the election. It will be brought up in the primaries and general, but the initial outrage is coming far too early for it to wreck his campaign.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 06:12:37 PM »

Nope. He handled the crisis surprisingly well. I think he's still the one to beat. And you know what? Most Republicans love bullies. They already supported one: Mitt Romney. And another: George W. Bush, as with his 2004 campaign was personally responsible for the suicide of thousands of gay teens all over the states.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »

There is every reason to believe that from now on this will be the main thing everybody will be hearing about Christie for, at least, a few months Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »

The thing is, you do not simply decide one day to do something of this nature on a whim without any antecedents. They were so brazen because they believed, this is how things are done. Because this is how they operated in that circle. Most likely, in this particular case there was no direct order from Christie - I would be shocked if there were. But it is also almost certainly true that before they got to this degree of brazen stupidity, they were skirting the boundary for a while - likely occasionally crossing it here and there.

And now the entire attention is on them - things will be dug out. There will be prosecutions. People will be (already are) thrown under the bus. People, who are thrown under the bus, generally do not like that - they will start testifying (if for no other reason, then simply to get immunity). This is very likely to become a death by thousand cuts - eventually something crucial will come up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »

PPP polling tonight in NH and NC shows Christie still in the lead with overwhelming majority saying Bridge-gate doesn't affect their feelings at all. Christie doing better in NH than he did in their September poll.

BUT IT'S ALL OVERRRR!!!!1

From the snipets of the press conference that I've seen, I'm pleased with how he responded. My opinion will only change if he authorized or knew well in advance.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »

PPP polling tonight in NH and NC shows Christie still in the lead with overwhelming majority saying Bridge-gate doesn't affect their feelings at all. Christie doing better in NH than he did in their September poll.

From the snipets of the press conference that I've seen, I'm pleased with how he responded. My opinion will only change if he authorized or knew well in advance.

What poll?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

What poll?

PPP's NH and NC polls, which are in the field right now:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/421465306729435136

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/421465420114059264

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/421466179635408897

Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »

Henster: The GOP field, no info out whether or not Christie is in the lead in NH/NC in the general election.

Edit: Mr. Morden beat me to it.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »

Well...looks like I need to change my views on this topic. I'd like to see some general election polls first.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »

Looks like Christie is still a Teflon governor, at least to Republicans. Or his speech was very widely well received.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »

Americans don't care about the NSA spying them, so why would they care about this? Whatever. Christie is still overrated imo.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »

Anthony Weiner was forced out of office for much less than this. So were Jim Wright and Tony Coelho.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »

The "scandal" against Coelho was largely played up by the right-wing media so George H.W. Bush would get credit for the Americans with Disabilities Act (which Coelho had authored). The media hoists high the politics of partisan vindictiveness.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »

I don't think there's ever been a politician that's as overrated as Chris Christie seriously look past all the BS about him and you'll see who he really is.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 12:28:44 AM »

No. Not unless it comes out that he knew or ordered the lane closures as retribution. For it to convince anyone other than people who wouldn't have supported him anyway, it has to actually reflect on him, not some of his subordinates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies