NE1: Second Northeast Stimulus Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Second Northeast Stimulus Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Second Northeast Stimulus Act (Law)  (Read 552 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2014, 05:23:02 PM by cinyc »

Second Northeast Stimulus Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor Sirnick

Debate shall be open for 72 hours until around 3:30PM Eastern Time on January 12, 2014, unless modified or extended.  Governor Sirnick is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  If he does not, because there is other proposed legislation in the queue, the bill will be tabled and the Assembly will move on to consider the next bill.

The floor is open to debate.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »

We passed the same bill, albeit different monetary amounts, during my last term as Governor. This past budget, as you all saw, dramatically cut taxes and we still managed a surplus. This bill takes that surplus and incorporates it as a one time stimulus package with investments in job training programs, infrastructure. It allows states to use some of the money for repairs on public buildings.

As you consider this, I ask that you keep in mind that during my last term we also passed a federally backed stimulus that invested billions in public services including police, health, education and fire (fighters).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »

I can go either way on this.  The Northeast's unemployment rate was 6.1% in December.  Why do we need a stimulus package?  Do we have to worry about overstimulating the economy and bringing on inflation at this point?

How much was our surplus?  And how much money is in our rainy day fund?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »

I can go either way on this.  The Northeast's unemployment rate was 6.1% in December.  Why do we need a stimulus package?  Do we have to worry about overstimulating the economy and bringing on inflation at this point?

How much was our surplus?  And how much money is in our rainy day fund?

My second budget allocated $2.46B to the rainy day fund. My first budget allocated $5.3B to the rainy day fund. Prior to that, I'd need to go look for Scott's budgets etc. Its more of a GM question.

The surplus on this [my second] budget was $12.306 billion. After the rainy day fund that left about $9.846. This stimulus would cost $7 billion, leaving us some wiggle room still.

The stimulus package will continue to help small businesses find employees with the skill set they need. It will also keep people working --mainly on infrastructure projects which will have a multiplier effect in terms of how it helps the economy. Even after the last stimulus, there is still more to be done. We can keep improving, and infrastructure development pays for itself.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »

In general, I can support this stimulus bill.

Stimulus spending does have a place in society, when used properly and on a timely basis, and when safeguards are in place to ensure, to the greatest possible extent, that the funds are used for their intended purpose.   

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »

In all likelihood, I will be voting against this bill. I oppose Section 2 because greater public control of transportation and infrastructure takes us in the wrong direction. Potentially, many of the things listed in Section 2, Part 2 could be provided by private firms, competing to provide the best services possible for competitive market rates, and doing so without having to use taxpayer funds.

I also have issues with Section 3. It seems possible that, due to the one-time nature of this stimulus, the implementation of the job training programs referred to in Part 2 may lead to wasting taxpayer funds. At the statewide level, how much will it require to set up the program? And how long will it be possible to maintain that level of funding before the stimulus money runs out? I'm concerned about how long these programs would be able to last, and, with that in mind, whether it's really worth the taxpayer investment to fund them at all.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »

Deus, I'll pull the last GM report so you can see the numbers. But in terms of greater public control over infrastructure - were not increasing control were maintaining what we do control.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:40:39 PM »

I support this bill because it will keep the economy of the region going. By modernising the infrastructure and the public buildings of the Northeast we can save money in the future.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »

The debate period is now over.  It is time to vote on final passage of the bill:

Second Northeast Stimulus Act

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote will remain open for the earlier of 48 hours or when all Representatives have voted.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »

Nay
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »

Reluctant Aye.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »

By a vote of 4-1, the bill passes and goes to the governor's desk for his signature or veto.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »

Will sign later.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »

This bill was signed into law by the governor this morning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies