SENATE HEARING: Superique for Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:34:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE HEARING: Superique for Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE HEARING: Superique for Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)  (Read 1223 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2014, 06:29:16 PM by VP Matt »

I am nominating Superique for the position of SoEA.

Alright Senators, you may begin to interrogate the nominee. Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

I have full confidence in Superique's ability to execute the office of SoEA. He is a worthy successor.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »

I have full confidence in Superique's ability to execute the office of SoEA. He is a worthy successor.

This. Superique did a phenomenal job as SoIA and comes with an excellent knowledge of foreign affairs. I have no questions to ask the nominee and I urge a speedy nominee.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »

Yes, we need to get our foreign affairs house in order. Admittedly, we have let it slip recently.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »

Where do you stand on the Israel-Palestinian conflict?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »

What should our relations with Iran be like? Also, are there any countries in particular where you see opportunities in expanding trade agreements?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »

What is your position on Cuban relations?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »

Congratulations on your nomination.

Foreign policy has never been a major issue in Atlasia, as I'm sure you are aware. As SoEA, how do you hope to increase interest in it?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »

I will answer all the questions but for now I will only say that Human Rights advocacy will be my top priority.

OOC: I'm travelling and with no computer.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »

- What are your views on Atlasia's relationship with Israel? 

- What are your views on the past efforts of some of my colleagues to impose sanctions on Israel? 

- Do you believe invading Equatorial Guinea to overthrow Theodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo's dictatorship is a good idea or a bad idea?  Why or why not?

- What are your views on the efforts of many politicians to try to move towards a single international currency?

- Would you support imposing a steel tariff?  If we already have one, would you support significantly increasing it?

- Should we try to start a trade war with China?  Why or why not?

- What, if anything, should be done about cyber-attacks by other countries and cyber-terrorism in general? 

- What concrete steps should we take in order to promote human rights abroad?

- Did you know potpourri was a name for synthetic marijuana?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »

Hinging off of Tmth's question, would it be feasible to increase interest in foreign policy like with a war or similar scenario, without it turning off people and causing them to ignore such event generation?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

Some answers (Except NCYankee and Tmth) - Part I

Israel and Palestine

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Israel has always been an issue of conflict in Atlasia, but I would support the current partial military restrictions with no economic sanctions that was established under the Foreign Policy review. I don't believe that Atlasia should, even indirectly, support the establishment of illegal settlements and other misbehaviors of the Israeli Government.

Although I understand that any decision regarding Palestine and Israel may take time, I believe that we urgently need to solve this problem as soon as possible and we need to establish a timeline to organize a historical peace program. The first step is to make sure that Israel accepts to stop the creation of more settlements, more walls and more restrictions for the Palestinians that live in the country and if they accept, the restrictions will be over. The second step is to create a generic guideline that orientates for a more comprehensive agreement. The third and last agreement should work on many areas, maybe it could be more than one agreement and it should clearly talk about Frontiers, Economical Matters and Human Rights.

I would take into account on this agreement a mixed approach of the Wilsonian "War without Winners", the resolutions in Bosnia and the approaches taken by Nelson Mandela in South Africa. Even so, the solution is clearly a two-state one.

The unilateral withdrawn from the Gaza Strip of Ariel Sharon has shown us that "Land for Peace" is not enough, there is a need for other actions. It's for this reason that there must be a strong movement after frontier consolidation to promote the reduction of hatred between the two people and I would even consider mixed joint security forces in the long run.

Iran

We should be very pragmatical with Iran, their current President is a moderate in Islamist Standards and it's obviously a better foreign partner than Amajinehad, but we should be careful when having new diplomatic relations with them. Although I'm not a fond of seeing their Nuclear Program successful, I wouldn't mind seeing the Iranians developing this technology for peaceful uses (what looks like pretty difficult). However, all of the development process shall be done with strong International supervision and if Iran begins enriching Uranium on excessive levels, I wouldn't mind introducing our embargoes once more.

To start foreign negotiations, we have to wait if there's going to be any move from Iranian Authorities. If they are not transparent enough and if there's any doubt that the Iranians are gaining time to develop a nuclear bomb, then there won't be a single move from Atlasian Diplomacy to start negotiations and the embargoes and sanctions will be kept until they give up from their nuclear program.

Iran is definitely not the best place in the world but certainly it has a record on Human Rights and Democracy better than many kingdoms in the Middle East. They hold elections, women have some rights, so they are not the hell that the conservative media like to portrait. If there is strong wiliness to compromise and if we see that Iran wants to truly change from their current authoritarian ways, I would be the first man to flight to Tehran and meet with Mr. Rohani. I see that Iranians want to participate in Middle East problems and I see their intention to have some influence in the region and I would not have a problem with this and I would even encourage Iranian participation if its own government moves to a more democratic and open nation. I wouldn't say that this will happen soon but I believe that if Iranians are open to negotiate, then in the long-run, they deserve a stronger role on Middle East stability.

Trade Agreements

As Secretary of Internal Affairs, I was strongly willing to make even stronger our bonds to Canada and I believe that a single currency would be the next step after the Marokai Agreements. Furthermore, we have an opportunity to discuss in the GTO about important matters. Which I intend to show later.

I also intend to take a closer look in the European Union and in the Pacific to see if we are going to have any chance of promoting stronger trade relations with those areas. It's also my intention to move away from the Middle East in terms of buying foreign oil, I'm looking forward to have a stronger relationship with Brazil, Mexico and the countries of Scandinavia as partners on oil imports.

Cuba

Keep as its defined by the Cuban Relations Act and by our Foreign Policy Review. However, as part of a greater initiative in South America, I will apologize for President's JFK support of the Coup D'Etat  that was planned to overthrown Fidel and I may very well talk to him about future stronger ties if we see strong reforms in the country and even foreign aid on some sectors of the Cuban Economy if the country abandon its old stalinist trends and move forward to a Democratic Republic.

One of the things that called my attention however is that we don't have any kind of Military Restriction to Cuba and that's something that I seriously oppose. In case that I'm appointed to be Secretary of External Affairs, I intend to introduce partial military restrictions for Cuba. We can't forget that Cuba is not a democratic nation and there are may concerns over said nation. I wouldn't support give this privilege to Castro and maybe some other nations that don't have any kind of restriction but that have suspicious regimes.

Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »

Part 2

Equatorial Guinea

That is a hard question to make but every action in an unstable area must be done very carefully and cautiously. Certainly Theodoro is not someone to trust but I'm afraid of the impact that an invasion could have in the region. Unless there is a strong and democratic movement to overthrown him, I would not support the use of force to take the dictator out of his throne.

There are many other actions, however, that we can make, in opposition of Theodoro. We should use our "soft power" and use full restrictions for Equatorial Guinea and we could use our influence in the United Nations to call for some kind of resolution that helps on the deposition of the tyrant Nguema. To sum things up, I would love to see this dictator out of office but I don't want to be responsible for more instability and a civil war in the country.

Single International Currency

A Single International Currency is definitely not the way to go. When you intend to create a single currency; there must be what economists define as an "Optimal Currency Area" and the world is clearly not such a thing.

Protectionism and China

No. I'm much more inclined to free trade than protectionism. Atlasia doesn't need to use such methods to develop or to continue developing our steel sector. Our industries are fine and there is no need to impose such kind of measures. We could even suffer reprimands from our allies abroad and certainly that is something that I don't want to see happening.

No, we shouldn't start a trade war if China. Despite all the name-calling and the distrust of many Atlasians on the People's Republic of China, I believe that a trade war won't be worthy to Atlasia's Economy and Atlasian Workers. You asked me why, let me answer to that: China is a long time buyer of our Treasury Bonds, China is an important partner in Asia and it has a crucial whole on United Nation decisions. I would not like to our relations with China go worse because this could provide serious consequences for Atlasia security and the world stability.

We have partial military restrictions with China because of their serious aggressions to Human Rights and because of the authoritarian political system of the PRC. I would support keeping with those sanctions and I would like to discuss in close meetings with the Chinese President on long-run reforms that promote a more open Chinese Government.

Cyber Attacks

Cyber-Attacks and Cyber-terrorism should be prevented and I wouldn't mind seeing more investments on defensive systems to protect our agencies information and our nation's security. That doesn't mean that the CIA and the NSA shouldn't be more transparent, actually I believe that more transparency is needed from our nation's agency and the Pentagon.A global effort to protect government's from hackers is welcomed as well but they won't be my priority as Secretary of External Affairs.

Human Rights

One of the most important ways to promote solidly Human Rights across the globe is to provide aid and solidarity for those nations that want to change and that wants to embrace the UN principles of democracy, freedom and peace while showing strong reprimand for those who are interested to keep it up with torture, dictatorship, authoritarianism and political repression. The Atlasian Government shall use its diplomatic power to show a strong message of Human Rights. There should be no place anymore for dictators in the twenty first century and I hope that Atlasia with other nations could lead a movement for a more open and democratic world. As I pointed out already, I wouldn't mind on having strong relations with Iran and Cuba if they show a strong move for stronger democracy and freedom.

Furthermore, as we ended our own domestic War on Drugs, its now more than time to promote alternative international policies to deal with this matter and I would encourage that nations take the some steps of Uruguay, where President Mujica has shown a strong leadership on a controversial issue for his country. There still need to promote legalization or decriminalization of Cannabis in the rest of the world and this could reduce the burden of Drug Dealing in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and in many other countries that have thousands of lives lost on this unworthy conflict.

I would also support stronger reprimands on Syria, where Bashar government clearly used chemical weapons against its own people. It's an international calamity and I would urge the United Nations to take a serious move on that matter and I wouldn't gave up of any alternative to deal with Syria, although we have serious concerns about a full military intervention. The whole problem is the close ties between Russia, China and Syria and that must be a problem for a stronger reprimand to Bashar Al-Assad Government.

Laboral Matters are also a part of Human Rights' Advocacy that needs more attention. Atlasia will lead a movement for stronger labor rights across the globe and, as Secretary of External Affairs, I believe that we can show a strong message for the world on many fronts. The United Nations is one way to go but another way that we should promote workers rights is by going to the Global Trade Organization and standing up against Social Dumping that we see in China and in Southeast Asia.

Mother Mary

No, I didn't know that...
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

Thank you for your very detailed answers and good organization. I hope you bring that same zeal to the position. I support the candidate.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »

Thank you for your very detailed answers and good organization. I hope you bring that same zeal to the position. I support the candidate.

Bravo! A+!

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »

Thank you for your responses. Is there any specific reason as to why you favor continued military aid to Israel, aid that will no doubt be used against Palestinians?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »

Thank you for your responses. Is there any specific reason as to why you favor continued military aid to Israel, aid that will no doubt be used against Palestinians?

Well, I would not say that all aid for Israelis are going to be used against Palestinians; actually, the aid for Israel is used on other matters such as its national defense. As a believer in the Two-State Solution, I can't just stop funding Israel subtly as it may create more instability and even a war. I want however that Israelis stop doing those things and I expect that those atrocities end as soon as possible. If there are any reports of further massacres and more segregation in Israel, I will have no fear of reducing its aid.

Clearly, this would have a strong political cost for the new Labor Prime-Minister and it could very well make even a stronger movement for peace. The semi-apartheid that we see now is by no means something I desire and I will use all the diplomatic means to make it stop!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2014, 01:36:37 PM by Senator X »

Well, I would not say that all aid for Israelis are going to be used against Palestinians; actually, the aid for Israel is used on other matters such as its national defense. As a believer in the Two-State Solution, I can't just stop funding Israel subtly as it may create more instability and even a war. I want however that Israelis stop doing those things and I expect that those atrocities end as soon as possible. If there are any reports of further massacres and more segregation in Israel, I will have no fear of reducing its aid.

Clearly, this would have a strong political cost for the new Labor Prime-Minister and it could very well make even a stronger movement for peace. The semi-apartheid that we see now is by no means something I desire and I will use all the diplomatic means to make it stop!

Would you agree that continued negotiations are a more effective tool than spitting in the eye of one of our closest allies by passing sanctions against Israel (which is also the only true democracy in the Middle East)?  I realize the wording of the question might be a little blunt, but that is essentially the choice I'd argue we face regarding economic or military sanctions against Israel.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »

There's no way I can vote for anyone for SoEA that favors continued military aid, in any fashion, to the despotic state of Israel.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »

Time has expired on this and I don't see any injunctions to continue beyond the alloted time. The VP may open a vote on confirming the nominee.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »

Time has expired on this and I don't see any injunctions to continue beyond the alloted time. The VP may open a vote on confirming the nominee.

I will still answer any questions...
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

There's no way I can vote for anyone for SoEA that favors continued military aid, in any fashion, to the despotic state of Israel.

Have you given a Nay for BK, Sjoyce and Talleyrand? If your answer is YES I gave them a NAY, it'll perfectly make sense voting against me. If you have given an AYE for at least one of them, there must be another matter of your concern that you don't want to reveal.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

Would you agree that continued negotiations are a more effective tool than spitting in the eye of one of our closest allies by passing sanctions against Israel (which is also the only true democracy in the Middle East)?  I realize the wording of the question might be a little blunt, but that is essentially the choice I'd argue we face regarding economic or military sanctions against Israel.

Maybe, my wording was a little bit exaggerated, specially in the last sentence. Continued Negotiations will prevail, but we can't just close our eyes to some tragical moves that Israeli Defense Forces use against Palestinians; that's clearly not the way to go and that is clearly something that I believe that even you, my friend, Senator X, would want to see happening.

I would only like to be very clear that I'm not really being bold on the issue of Israel and Palestine; I intend to follow the approach made by Talleyrand and Sjoyce, I will keep it up with the partial military restrictions on Israel. If they clearly improve their situation, then I would even end this partial military restriction, however if they increase the agressions and make things worst, then I would give a deadline for the Israeli to fully stop those actions, otherwise, there could be very well, full military restrictions...
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »

Well, creating wars is pretty difficult based on our own tradition on Atlasia of not being fond of military intervention and one of the reasons for this is because we have strong libertarians and socialists in this nation. If I wanted to create a war, it could certainly bring more interest on foreign policy but it would as well create a lot of opposition to the Administration and even our Senators... I know that this may sound selfish but when you play a game that is based on elections, you want to win some and creating a war could make me the Atlasian Scoop Jackson as well as great part of the Senators, the President and the Vice-President. However, if a war is worked with zeal by me and the Game Moderator and if we agree that this could be interesting, then I could support something like a Military Intervention in a Foreign Country but I'm not so enthusiast of that.

Even so, I would support creating some other interesting events that could bring interest to Foreign Policy; I intend to post as much as I can and target many areas that have been forgotten by other SoEAs. It's funny, but it seems that Atlasia is only worried about Palestine and Israel and most of our previous SoEA had their main focus on that matter and I congratulate for Talleyrand for having a more diverse agenda. I want to task many matters: Iran, GTO, Canada, Palestine and Israel (but not only), Latin America, etc...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »

Have you given a Nay for BK, Sjoyce and Talleyrand? If your answer is YES I gave them a NAY, it'll perfectly make sense voting against me. If you have given an AYE for at least one of them, there must be another matter of your concern that you don't want to reveal.

Or it's just the fact that I have a bill that would end military aid to Israel in the works and I wouldn't want an SoEA in office that could gum up the works there. Your conspiracy theory is cute, though, so I'll allow you to continue believing what you want to believe for as long as you wish. You won't be getting my support, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies