268 of 534 current Senators/Reps are millionaires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:03:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  268 of 534 current Senators/Reps are millionaires
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 268 of 534 current Senators/Reps are millionaires  (Read 946 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:52:04 PM »

Article.

Apparantly, this is the first time in history that a majority of them are millionaires; kinda surprising, IMO.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »

Not surprising to me. Most of them are corrupt opportunists seeking power.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »

Many of them enrich themselves through convenient use of the pork to make their properties increase in value. Of course this issue has lost focus in recent years as the media and the left have decided to prefer the corrupt porker who can be bribed as opposed to the more rigid outsider.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »

Many of them enrich themselves through convenient use of the pork to make their properties increase in value. Of course this issue has lost focus in recent years as the media and the left have decided to prefer the corrupt porker who can be bribed as opposed to the more rigid outsider.

We have? News to me.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:15 AM »

Look at the list of poorest Senators/Reps and you'll see a bunch of former millionaires who made bad investments.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »

Is Issa still the richest man in Congress?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

Looks like McCaul dropped off quite a bit, so its back to Issa.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »

What do you have against success, Miles?  What do you have against folks using what they have (like control of the US government) to have unconscionable wealth at the expense of poor and middle-class Americans?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »

I'm surprised that wasn't the case during the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, truth be told. Interesting data nonetheless.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »

I'm going to play the Devil's advocate here for a second...

Wouldn't Congresspeople who weren't independently wealthy be MORE susceptible to lobbyist checks and other forms of bribery?
Nichlemn

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »

Not really that surprising, given inflation has meant that millionaires are quite common now. Hell, you can even become a millionaire by just saving a good chunk of your congressional salary ($174,000 a year) even if you had no other assets. To be sure this probably doesn't account for much of it, but still. I'd like to know how it compares to other eras when adjusted for inflation.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »

And this is the No. 1 problem with our gov't.  Theoretically, if you want the re-power the middle class, shouldn't middle class people who work hard for everything they have and make $40K-100K be elected? When it takes $$$ to get elected and you have people who are "out of touch" with the average American in power, who are greedy and answer each and everyday to the big banks, etc. (and no, not "us"), this is what happens.  Then they lie with a smile.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2014, 12:57:07 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Wouldn't Congresspeople who weren't independently wealthy be MORE susceptible to lobbyist checks and other forms of bribery?

Are they independently wealthy before though or have they attained it since having become a Congresspeople?

We have? News to me.

In 2006 and even 2008, it was a big issue. But that same anger that drove the left over corruption and so forth, also fueled the rebellion of the GOP base and rise of the tea party and the conclusion has been reached that the tea party is far more dangerous. It is a result of this that you see such glowing descriptions of people like Lisa Murkowski, not reluctance endorsements of her to stop Miller, but excessive praise and even VP talk. Because Sarah Palin is so "nuts" no one cares anymore about why she became Governor in the first place and the type of people she opposed within the GOP. Instead, the media and yes, the left has embraced the crooks out of a fear of people they perceive to be kooks.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »

Most Congresspeople are wealthy before they enter office they'd have to be considering how expensive it is to run for office and most have business/lawyer/doctor backgrounds that make them sound impressive.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »

Most Congresspeople are wealthy before they enter office they'd have to be considering how expensive it is to run for office and most have business/lawyer/doctor backgrounds that make them sound impressive.

That too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »

Surprised it's that few.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:31 PM »

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

A few points...

1. Most members of Congress are relatively old. I would venture to guess most of the people ITT will also be worth whatever the inflation-adjusted equivalent of $1M is when you're in your 60s or 70s - that's really just owning your house and having a reasonable pension accumulated.

2. Most members of Congress have higher levels of education than the general public and their careers pre-politics tended to be in remunerative fields like law and medicine and owning or managing some sort of business. If you can't stash away a million bucks by the time you're in your 60s after 30+ years of being a doctor or a lawyer, you've done something wrong (assuming you're not a public defender or a free clinic worker or something).

3. Is having a net worth of $1 million by middle age or later really that exceptional anymore? The term "millionaire" as an appellation of wealth has been used at least since the 19th century, even as the actual implications of being a millionaire have declined from being a robber baron to being "baron" of your recently-paid-off 4-bedroom McMansion in Fort Worth.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »

^I don't consider somebody a millionaire unless they have $1 million in a savings account waiting for them to spend all of it on me thankyouverymuch.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:41 AM »

Are they independently wealthy before though or have they attained it since having become a Congresspeople?

We have? News to me.

In 2006 and even 2008, it was a big issue. But that same anger that drove the left over corruption and so forth, also fueled the rebellion of the GOP base and rise of the tea party and the conclusion has been reached that the tea party is far more dangerous. It is a result of this that you see such glowing descriptions of people like Lisa Murkowski, not reluctance endorsements of her to stop Miller, but excessive praise and even VP talk. Because Sarah Palin is so "nuts" no one cares anymore about why she became Governor in the first place and the type of people she opposed within the GOP. Instead, the media and yes, the left has embraced the crooks out of a fear of people they perceive to be kooks.

Which crooks? You mean people like Charlie Rangel?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »

That was my first thought too. Tongue I would've expected is was at least 70-80% of them.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »

We have? News to me.

Which crooks? You mean people like Charlie Rangel?

I was talking about within the GOP primarily. The left prefers those they think can be persuaded for obvious reasons.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies