Sabato: GOP Could Win it All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sabato: GOP Could Win it All
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sabato: GOP Could Win it All  (Read 2305 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »

Republicans Really Could Win It All This Year:
A definitive guide to the 2014 elections from our new columnist.

By LARRY J. SABATO
January 06, 2014

Another midterm election beckons, and over the next 10 months we’ll see headlines about a thousand supposedly critical developments—the “game changers” and the “tipping points.” But we all know there aren’t a thousand powerful drivers of the vote. I’d argue that three factors are paramount: the president, the economy and the election playing field. And, at least preliminarily, those three factors seem to be pointing toward Republican gains in both houses in the 2014 midterms.

Why?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:07 AM »

President is a lame-duck, who irritates a lot of people, economy only begins to show signs of revival after crisis, Congress sucks (including Democratic Senate) - loud, noisy, brutal, without any compromises, where sound voices drowns in a sea of polarized partisanship, and "i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool" mentality permiates everything, House redistricting greatly favors Republicans (not only because vile Redistricting itself, but because of excessive concentration of Democratic vote in relatively few districts, especially majority-minority), 6th year syndrome and general dropoff in Democratic vote in midterms.

These are some factors coming to MY mind - may be some of them come to Sabato's too...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »

Could
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:47:26 AM »

Exactly, that's the key word. The next coming months for the GOP will make the difference between Clinton's 6th year midterm and Bush's 6th year midterm
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »

The Dems have 3 chances to keep senate. 2 run offs in Ga and La and Pressler running as an independent candidate in SD. I like our chances better than the GOP as of now.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »

The Dems have 3 chances to keep senate. 2 run offs in Ga and La and Pressler running as an independent candidate in SD. I like our chances better than the GOP as of now.

For me it's 50-50 now. Republicans obviously getting WV, MT and SD, so they need 3 more: They are on attack in AK, AR, LA and NC. 3 out of 4 is posiible with good candidates. At the same time i don't see ANY really vulnerable Republican Senate seats now. There are some small chances in GA and KY, and tht's - all..
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »

I doubt it, that 2-seat gain Dems unexpectedly got in 2012 is really what'll save them. Republicans basically have to run the table on vulnerable Dem seats (WV, SD, MT, AR, LA, AK, NC) and they might even lose a couple of their own seats (GA, KY, ME if Collins pulls a Snowe). And if Dems do hold the Senate (which I think is likely), they are basically guaranteed control through 2018, looking at how favorable the 2016 map appears.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »

This is the modern-day GOP we're talking about.  They will find SOME way to blow it and start running some ridiculous candidates who put their feet in their mouths, or primary out winners and in place, run some lunatics. 

They will gain a few seats (WV, SD, etc), but they will "spin" similar to 2010 saying they had a big night when they watch 3-4 seats slip away they had no business losing.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »

I bet that the GOP will make gains in both houses, but lose the senate nontheless.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »

I bet that the GOP will make gains in both houses, but lose the senate nontheless.

How can they lose something they don't have?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2014, 04:04:09 PM by Clarko95 »

Something tells me that no matter how favorable the map is for them, Republicans will pull a 2012 and throw this one to the Democrats, then write it off as their candidates "weren't conservative enough".

The TEAbags will never learn. -_-
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »

Something tells me that no matter how favorable the map is for them, Republicans will pull a 2012 and throw this one to the Democrats, then write it off as their candidates "weren't conservative enough".

The TEAbags will never learn. -_-

CO,ME,SD are wildcards
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »

Of course they could!
sg0508
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »

Maine certainly seems to the "ripe" seat where the GOP could try to tea-party Collins and then lose badly in the general (i.e. DE in 2010).  DE with Mike Castle was a certain win.

Exit polls showed the GOP lost 25 points on Election Day from the choice of O'Donnell in the primary.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »

I imagine the Tea Party will cause Democrats to win at least 1 out of Kentucky, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Tennessee.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 08:11:33 PM »

Maine certainly seems to the "ripe" seat where the GOP could try to tea-party Collins and then lose badly in the general.

Not really - the current challenger's wearing his domestic violence conviction on his sleeve and claims his wife's lying about it. Collins is safe.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »

The Democrats will not win the Georgia seat.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:47 AM »

I should of said the GOP may find it difficult to defeat more than 3 Dem incumbents to win the Senate chamber. Just like in 2016 we only have shots against Kirk, Johnson and Toomey. Laundrieu is pretty much staying put against Cassidy.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

3 incumbents + 3 open (SD, WV, MT) = 6 = Republican majority))))
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »

When and if Walsh is confirmed senator, he technically will be an incumbant plus Wildcard in SD, etc.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies