Opinion of Hifly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:10:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Hifly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 111

Author Topic: Opinion of Hifly  (Read 4733 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »

The funny thing is he'd actually be more respected and less hated if he wasn't constantly bringing up Oxford. So it's counterproductive.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »

Beyond terrible.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:48 AM »

The funny thing is he'd actually be more respected and less hated if he wasn't constantly bringing up Oxford. So it's counterproductive.

I very much doubt Hifly has any interest in being less hated. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 12:33:47 AM »

Eh, I'm not a huge fan for  reasons other people have summarized, but I can sympathize with the Oxford talk given the tendency to believe that there's no reason to oppose SSM except bigotry/stupidity. Credentialism is counterproductive, especially on an internet forum, but I see why he does it.

So why are you opposed?

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:54 AM »

Homophobic maniac. HP.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »

A strange person, but I always find his mindset intriguing. He's not a cookie-cut archetype and I enjoy that.  It is a shame his political analysis is so flat and predictable, because I do think he is an intelligent guy nonetheless.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »

...indeed, I think he feeds off it. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 07:52:16 PM »

...indeed, I think he feeds off it. 

He does.  That's not what makes him an HP, though.  His support for German reacquisition of Eastern European territories shows that he is pretty comfortable with some very nasty elements of German nationalism.  I'm a proud German-American, and a very large part of the reason for that would be a current Germany that is a well-respected force for good in the world.  I'm sad that any German person wants to start talking about getting back territories that Germany justifiably lost at the very LEAST considering the crimes it committed. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »

Hifly, I know several people who are opposed to same-sex marriage and also attended top-flight schools. I even know one person who has written a book on the matter who was a Rhodes Scholar.  Actually, now that I think of it, one of the co-authors, who I've met, also received a DPhil from Oxford. Somehow, their arguments against the "redefinition of marriage", as they put it, consist of more than "we went to Oxford and have doctorates from prestigious universities!".

I don't have any particular problem with you, but the fact is that you unfailingly resort to pointing out the fact that you go to the University of Oxford whenever anyone points out the illogical nature of whatever you might be saying, which must mean you are intelligent. I mean, your intelligence is not the point whatever discussion is being had.

If you have some reason for opposing same sex marriage, spit it out; it's not as if there are no arguments against it worthy of a critical response. This is a discussion forum. You can't just go and say "my opinions are valid because I go to Oxford!" I mean, we have on this forum several professors , lawyers, doctors, a state assemblyman, and I even believe there used to be a poster who was Rhodes Scholar. None of these people spewed the ad factum arguments that you do.

TL;DR if you're so smart then why don't you use some of that intelligence in your posts.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies