What should be Marco Rubio's campaign strategy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:31:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What should be Marco Rubio's campaign strategy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would his running mate be?
Cathy Rodgers

Susana Martinez

Kelly Ayotte

John Thune

Scott Walker

John Kasich

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: What should be Marco Rubio's campaign strategy?  (Read 1501 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

I say he should skip New Hampshire, and just focus on Iowa. He should campaign on issues like abortion, wasteful government spending, and express that he is a government outsider. If against Christie, should say he would bring the party backwards, as he is considered moderate. Against Rand Paul, go  against his foreign ideas.After Iowa, focus on Florida, which should be easy for him to win if he is doing a good job campaigning, so he can focus more on South Carolina.
Now in the general election, if against Hillary, he should hit her hard as being part of the government establishment, and that he is an outsider. Focus on Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, and Colorado. Hillary's strength in Florida could be overturned by his home state advantage. His running mate would probably be Kelly Ayotte, a northeasterner, for geographical balance, and if New Hampshire becomes close.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

Easy... Run for re-election to the Senate... He's not going to win the GOP nomination
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

Slightly off topic, but Rubio's unfavorable totals are higher than his favorable numbers. His seat doesn't seem to be safe/likely anymore, and he still has an extremely small chance of winning the GOP nomination.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »

Easy... Run for re-election to the Senate... He's not going to win the GOP nomination
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »

A few things are wrong with that strategy.
I say he should skip New Hampshire, and just focus on Iowa.
I don't think evangelicals in Iowa would go for someone of color. Sorry, but hard truth. New Hampshire would be a much better state to play off of for Rubio.
He should campaign on issues like abortion, wasteful government spending, and express that he is a government outsider.
If there's one thing the Republican Party should've learned from 2012, it's to completely ignore the abortion issue whenever you can. Definitely avoid building a campaign around it. And Marco Rubio can't run as a Washington-Outsider. He will have been in the senate for a full term by 2016. He is Washingtonian now.
Now in the general election, if against Hillary, he should hit her hard as being part of the government establishment, and that he is an outsider. Focus on Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, and Colorado. Hillary's strength in Florida could be overturned by his home state advantage.
I think hitting her as part of the establishment might be a good idea. But he still can't run as an outsider. It won't work when he's got a (not so stellar) and far-right Senate voting record to run on.

All in all, his best get would be for him to run for re-election to Senate. The Dem bench there is pretty thin, so unless someone like Patrick Murphy runs against him, he should be fine.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »

oeoyeleye
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

I'd say he has a 70% chance of winning both the nomination and the general in 2016...of his Senate seat.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »

The attempt at immigration reform bombed, but he had the right idea. He needs some kind of major accomplishment as Senator.

It would also help to get in front of a major issue the way Obama said all the right things for his base about the Iraq war. But he would have to do it without alienating the middle/ establishment the way Cruz did.

His main strengths are natural charisma, and optics. Republicans would love to nominate a relatively young Hispanic guy with a beautiful family.

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »

I don't think evangelicals in Iowa would go for someone of color. Sorry, but hard truth. New Hampshire would be a much better state to play off of for Rubio.

Don't get me wrong I think Rubio is doomed, but Rubio's "color" won't be an issue seeing as he is basically white. Let's face it: When Marco Rubio walks into a Wall-Mart (handwaving his fame of course) loss prevention sees a white man. Rubio and Cruz are only really "technically" Hispanic. Socially they are for all intents and purposes white.

I mean frankly speaking.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »

He should campaign on issues like abortion, wasteful government spending, and express that he is a government outsider.
If there's one thing the Republican Party should've learned from 2012, it's to completely ignore the abortion issue whenever you can. Definitely avoid building a campaign around it. And Marco Rubio can't run as a Washington-Outsider. He will have been in the senate for a full term by 2016. He is Washingtonian now.
Now in the general election, if against Hillary, he should hit her hard as being part of the government establishment, and that he is an outsider. Focus on Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, and Colorado. Hillary's strength in Florida could be overturned by his home state advantage.
I think hitting her as part of the establishment might be a good idea. But he still can't run as an outsider. It won't work when he's got a (not so stellar) and far-right Senate voting record to run on.

All in all, his best get would be for him to run for re-election to Senate. The Dem bench there is pretty thin, so unless someone like Patrick Murphy runs against him, he should be fine.
Republicans don't exactly need to abandon the abortion issue, but I reckon by a decade or two they will moderate their position. 80% of Americans are for restrictions on third term abortions, and 60% are for restrictions on second term abortions, Republicans should go after these abortions instead of wanting to stop every abortion.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »

Republicans don't exactly need to abandon the abortion issue, but I reckon by a decade or two they will moderate their position. 80% of Americans are for restrictions on third term abortions, and 60% are for restrictions on second term abortions, Republicans should go after these abortions instead of wanting to stop every abortion.

Where do you get these numbers?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

This. He alienated left, right, and center with his immigration screwup. He's better off trying to hold his Senate seat.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160058/majority-americans-support-roe-wade-decision.aspx
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »

Thank you!
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Welcome!
Anyway, Republicans should instead of saying they support a ban on all trimester abortions illegal, only have second and third trimester abortion restrictions. That way they don't sound extreme.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »

Welcome!
Anyway, Republicans should instead of saying they support a ban on all trimester abortions illegal, only have second and third trimester abortion restrictions. That way they don't sound extreme.

And they should also say that they support exemptions in cases of rape and incest instead of saying God intended it or whatever.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »

Welcome!

And they should also say that they support exemptions in cases of rape and incest instead of saying God intended it or whatever.
Agreed.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »

Who would Rubio choose as his VP?
Thune would be a good choice.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »

He needs a Governor, I think. Perhaps somebody from the west, who won't outshine him and has experience. Butch Otter?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »

If he could her to run, Susana Martinez.
Also, Scott Walker would work.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »

Rubio is done he is not going to be the nominee he won't recover from his immigration disaster he will be lucky to even be re-elected in 2016.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »

Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2014, 01:47:14 PM by Mordecai »

His best way into the White House is to hope that someone picks him to be their running mate because he's not substantive enough to be at the top of the ticket.

A white middle-aged state governor whose conservatism is not "questionable".

So, I would suggest John Kasich (if he gets re-elected), Scott Walker (if he gets re-elected), Rick Snyder (if he gets re-elected).

Maybe even Brian Sandoval (if he gets re-elected).

Edit: And maybe Terry Branstad.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies