Should we hold elections on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:26:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should we hold elections on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should we hold elections on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays?
Yes (Freedom Idea!)

No (Horrible Idea!)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Should we hold elections on Saturdays rather than Tuesdays?  (Read 2080 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 16, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »

No, because then I can't vote until after sunset (nor would many orthodox Jews).  Tuesdays may not be the best days, but I can't think of any day that would necessarily be better.  If I knew ahead of time that I couldn't vote on Election Day, then I'd just request an absentee ballot.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »

No, because then I can't vote until after sunset (nor would many orthodox Jews).  Tuesdays may not be the best days, but I can't think of any day that would necessarily be better.  If I knew ahead of time that I couldn't vote on Election Day, then I'd just request an absentee ballot.

You just said in your last sentence how to avoid the issue of the first sentence.

Well most polling places are open until 7 or 8pm, which is after sunset. And again, you're talking about a problem that only affects maybe 1% of the population or less.
True, but my state holds primaries in August, when sunset often isn't until 9PM or later, after the polls close.  I kind of agree with Del Tachi on this one:
Weekends are a bad idea because it would require that certain state employees who work with elections would have to be compensated for an extra day of work. 

Early voting is lax enough in most states that no one really has the inability to vote due to lack of time. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies