Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:12:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?  (Read 4443 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:48:28 AM »
« edited: January 12, 2014, 02:50:35 AM by The Arizonan »

I keep forgetting about this, but I felt like posting a thread on this topic. Do you guys think that there is too much political correctness these days? Examples would be Governor Lincoln Chafee (who got a measley 36.1% of the vote despite the fact of who his father is) calling the Christmas tree a 'holiday tree' two years in a row and a federal judge in California not allowing a nativity scene in Santa Monica, CA.

Then there are other examples, like the Seattle City Council circulating a memo telling members not to use words like "citizen" and "brown bag" last year and how Family Guy actually got cancelled on a few networks. Let's not forget about the schools in New Jersey banning Christmas songs.

I'm not the kind of person who goes out of his way to offend people, but I'm not going to look over my shoulder every two seconds wondering if I offended someone.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:56:01 AM »

I keep forgetting about this, but I felt like posting a thread on this topic. Do you guys think that there is too much political correctness these days?

Not really.

Examples would be Governor Lincoln Chafee (who got a measley 36.1% of the vote despite the fact of who his father is) calling the Christmas tree a 'holiday tree' two years in a row

Lol I remember this. I thought it was goofy but endearing. If he thinks it will help him represent Rhode Islanders better that's his call.

and a federal judge in California not allowing a nativity scene in Santa Monica, CA.

IIRC they also didn't allow other scenes.

Then there are other examples, like the Seattle City Council circulating a memo telling members not to use words like "citizen" and "brown bag" last year

That is going too far.

and how Family Guy actually got cancelled on a few networks.

I think this is more reasonable. It's at the network's discretion as to whether they want to show that kind of stuff and they might not want to be known as a network of vulgarity. That's fine.

Let's not forget about the schools in New Jersey banning Christmas songs.

This is also going too far. As long as the children aren't coerced they should be allowed to sing the songs.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:17:52 AM »

I'm confused...how is "citizen" a bad word? And is "brown bag" referring to lunch or is that some sort of racial slur I haven't heard of?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

How exactly is Family Guy a vulgar show? I know it's considered offensive by some people.

I'm confused...how is "citizen" a bad word? And is "brown bag" referring to lunch or is that some sort of racial slur I haven't heard of?

Citizen is not a bad word, but not everyone who lives in Seattle is an American citizen, hence the memo.

As for the word "brown bag", it was used as a term to refer to black people that were several shades lighter. It was used as a racial term, but still.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmsV1TuESrc
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »

The main point is not the legal principle of the act, but rather one's ability not to care. If you're not Christian and you see a little nativity scene in front of the fire house as you're driving through on your way to a "Holiday" bash in a larger city, don't call the ACLU. While you might be right in the general principle of government impartiality towards religion, the fact that you're getting to make a huge ruckus about something like that and let it distract you from drinking bourbon mixed with egg nog while your friends sing holiday songs around the fire wearing awful sweaters is more an indictment of your character than that of the head of the fire precinct.
Link
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »

Has political correctness gone too far...

Complaining about political correctness going too far certainly has gone too far.  I get a deluge of memos at work about all kinds of things include how we must refer to various things.  None of them have had anything to do with political correctness.  It's work.  If you work at an organization that is a certain size or above you get memos all the time.  It's not a reason to cry on the internet.

How exactly is Family Guy a vulgar show?

Using abortion as a punchline is vulgar, dude.  That doesn't mean I don't like the show.  But it is what it is.  What's the purpose of pretending it's something else?
Link
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »

The main point is not the legal principle of the act, but rather one's ability not to care. If you're not Christian and you see a little nativity scene in front of the fire house as you're driving through on your way to a "Holiday" bash in a larger city, don't call the ACLU. While you might be right in the general principle of government impartiality towards religion, the fact that you're getting to make a huge ruckus about something like that and let it distract you from drinking bourbon mixed with egg nog while your friends sing holiday songs around the fire wearing awful sweaters is more an indictment of your character than that of the head of the fire precinct.

And not removing an "offending" Nativity scene merely indicts someone is a petty sniveling douche.  I certainly wouldn't go to court and waste tax payers money over something like that.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

Which episode of Family Guy used abortion as a punchline? I don't think I saw the episode because I don't recall anything like that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »

And not removing an "offending" Nativity scene merely indicts someone is a petty sniveling douche.  I certainly wouldn't go to court and waste tax payers money over something like that.

I could probably concur with that. I personally would never have a nativity on government property, seeing as I hate moving blow molds, and would, I admit, have the same attitude towards removing them. Hopefully, if I were the executive, I could just order some underlings to do the real work.
Link
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »

Which episode of Family Guy used abortion as a punchline

Why the ph-ck does it matter?  You think I have time to come on the internet and tell a derogatory lie about a cartoon I like?  WTF?
Link
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »

I could probably concur with that. I personally would never have a nativity on government property, seeing as I hate moving blow molds, and would, I admit, have the same attitude towards removing them. Hopefully, if I were the executive, I could just order some underlings to do the real work.

As with most things in this country I think the vast majority 90+% really don't care.  Even if someone was Hindu or Muslim they probably wouldn't notice or care about a Nativity Scene in front of the local fire department.  All it takes is one troll to stir up trouble.  Technically I think the way the Constitution is written Nativity Scenes should not appear in front of government buildings but it's not a rule I would go nuts about in a lot of towns.  If it is a town with a high Jewish, Hindu, and/or Muslim population then yeah I can see toning it down a bit.

I mean if I moved to the middle east I would not be offended when people celebrated Jewish or Muslim holidays.

I don't think there is a trend with political correctness.  I just think their are more trolls and more legal precedent for them to troll with.  But the majority of the people are like whatever.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »

Yes, people need to chill out and not be offended by the measliest things. Both the left and right are responsible for this. The right for trying to censore "immorality" as they call it. The left trying censor religious speech or stupid words like "penmanship". Political correctness needs to be forgotten and abolished so we can freely express ourselves like normal human beings. 
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »

Yes, people need to chill out and not be offended by the measliest things. Both the left and right are responsible for this. The right for trying to censore "immorality" as they call it. The left trying censor religious speech or stupid words like "penmanship". Political correctness needs to be forgotten and abolished so we can freely express ourselves like normal human beings. 

I agree. I think it's kind of silly when someone says we shouldn't use words like 'man-made' and 'congressman'.

On another note, I think it is kind of silly to use the word 'congressman' because there are representatives in the House that are women and some states (HI, NH, SD, WY) don't have a single congressman. Hehehe. Someone actually asked me "Who is the congressman from South Dakota?".
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:35 PM »

The left trying censor religious speech or stupid words like "penmanship".

Absolute most ridiculous strawman in the history of the Atlas Forum. If you were joking, very nice, because I literally LOLed for about 20 seconds at the sheer absurdity of it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »

Yes, of course.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »

How exactly is Family Guy a vulgar show? I know it's considered offensive by some people.

You're kidding right? Don't mistake my description of it as being some kind of denigration (I do watch the show occasionally) but yes because of its vulgarity it's considered offensive by some people and that's why some networks don't want to host it. That's the nature of the networks trying to keep their market open for everyone. It's also part of the cause for secularization / bowdlerization of Christmas in commercial and retail sales, arguably much more so than just political correctness.

Let's not pretend though that it's just the atheists and secularists that were bothered by it, the religious were getting jealous when the atheists and secularists started applying for spots to put up displays.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »

I agree. I think it's kind of silly when someone says we shouldn't use words like 'man-made' and 'congressman'.

On another note, I think it is kind of silly to use the word 'congressman' because there are representatives in the House that are women and some states (HI, NH, SD, WY) don't have a single congressman. Hehehe. Someone actually asked me "Who is the congressman from South Dakota?".

I agree. We should probably call them Congresspeople all together and congressmen/women appropriate to specific people.

Absolute most ridiculous strawman in the history of the Atlas Forum. If you were joking, very nice, because I literally LOLed for about 20 seconds at the sheer absurdity of it.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/05/49446-new-washington-state-law-bans-words-penmanship-freshman-fisherman-as-sexist/

I'm not joking.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »

I agree. We should probably call them Congresspeople all together and congressmen/women appropriate to specific people.

Or we could call them "representatives", since that's invariably whom we're referring to when we say that. "Congresspeople" should technically refer to both houses.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »

Or we could call them "representatives", since that's invariably whom we're referring to when we say that. "Congresspeople" should technically refer to both houses.

Or we could call them "Members of Congress" or "MCs" for short, analogous to Britain's MPs.

That was actually how George H. W. Bush referred to himself when he was in Congress.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »

Or we could call them "Members of Congress" or "MCs" for short, analogous to Britain's MPs.

That was actually how George H. W. Bush referred to himself when he was in Congress.

Or just save time and call them Cons.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/05/49446-new-washington-state-law-bans-words-penmanship-freshman-fisherman-as-sexist/

I'm not joking.

Meh, whatever. Some fool in Washington goes overboard with his word list on an otherwise OK bill, and you spin it to "those loony liberals are banning the word "penmanship" for being sexist!!!!"
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

I'm not joking.

Meh, whatever. Some fool in Washington goes overboard with his word list on an otherwise OK bill, and you spin it to "those loony liberals are banning the word "penmanship" for being sexist!!!!"

I don't think You know what Spin means.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies