Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:21:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Has political correctness gone too far (especially during the winter season)?  (Read 4406 times)
Alien
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:11 AM »

The Fighting Illini mascot controversy was a while ago, but I still think that the Chief should make a comeback.  It's far more viable than the anthropomorphic corn proposal and Drunk Lincoln.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »

IMO, people who complain about political correctness usually strawman their opponents with the "herstory of womyn" type argument, which really doesn't represent anything but a small minority of political correctness advocates.

Really though, what political correctness is really about is respect. Complaining about, say, referring to a trans* person with the pronoun of the gender they identify with instead of the pronoun of their biological sex is disrespectful and impolite. Team names like the Washington Red****s are disrespectful and impolite. Using the term "illegal" instead of undocumented immigrant is disrespectful and impolite. There is, of course, a sliding scale of rudeness (with the first two being more offensive than the 3rd) but all of them are about respecting different people.

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them. I can understand the first two, this one is just seems ridiculous and oversensitive.
Lets call them what they are. If you avoid paying your taxes using a hidden bank account, you are committing a crime. You become a tax cheat. If you steal, you are committing a crime. You become a thief.

So when you immigrate to a country without registering with its government, you are committing a crime. Illegal immigrants are illegal. They are common criminals by nature of their existence as long as they are on American soil until the register with the government.

Link
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them.

You've gone over the speed limit at least once in your life right?  That's illegal.  Why don't we call you an illegal?  Why do we cherrypick this crime and label the people "illegals" and give you a free pass?

If someone is brought to this country at two years old and they only find out for the first time they are not a US citizen at age 16 why would you call that person an "illegal"?

I agree with Senator Goldwater.

My mother, my aunt, and my cousin all immigrated to this country from the Philippines legally, why can't they?

And I'm sure if you were brought here without proper documents at two years of age when you turned sixteen you would emancipate yourself from your parents and "self deport" back to the Philippines and tell everyone there you were an "illegal" from America.  Riiiggghhhttt...

The only difference between you and the people you are calling "illegals" is you had the dumb luck to be born a different set of parents.  None of us is buying it for even a millisecond you wouldn't be doing the exact same thing as them if circumstances were different.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »

My mother was born in the Philippines, but I was born in Reno, NV. I'm just bringing that up in case there is any confusion.

In all of my life, I've never met anyone from the Philippines who immigrated here illegally. All of my relatives on my mother's side of the family who weren't born here in the United States and came here went the legal route.

As for illegal immigration, there are, of course, immigrants who are here through no fault of their own because their parents brought them here at a very young age without the paperwork. What percentage of immigrants who haven't taken the legal route consists of them?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them.

You've gone over the speed limit at least once in your life right?  That's illegal.  Why don't we call you an illegal?  Why do we cherrypick this crime and label the people "illegals" and give you a free pass?

If someone is brought to this country at two years old and they only find out for the first time they are not a US citizen at age 16 why would you call that person an "illegal"?

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison. A better comparison would be calling someone who's driving without a diver's license an illegal driver, which would certainly be a fir thing to call them.

As for the 16 year old, I probably wouldn't consider him an illegal immigrant, because he clearly did not decide to immigrate illegality. Although I would consider the issue whether or not this specific person qualifies as an illegal immigrant irrelevant to discussion at hand.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »

I am in the military and they don't send memos about the usage of language and words. We just get training sessions about what to say and not to say.

Anyone else remember when New York made it illegal to say the n-word? Am I the only person here who thought it was a waste of taxpayer dollars to pass that legislation? It's just a goddamned six-letter word.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 04:08:56 AM »

IMO, people who complain about political correctness usually strawman their opponents with the "herstory of womyn" type argument, which really doesn't represent anything but a small minority of political correctness advocates.

Really though, what political correctness is really about is respect. Complaining about, say, referring to a trans* person with the pronoun of the gender they identify with instead of the pronoun of their biological sex is disrespectful and impolite. Team names like the Washington Red****s are disrespectful and impolite. Using the term "illegal" instead of undocumented immigrant is disrespectful and impolite. There is, of course, a sliding scale of rudeness (with the first two being more offensive than the 3rd) but all of them are about respecting different people.

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them. I can understand the first two, this one is just seems ridiculous and oversensitive.

The problem lies in judgin someone's existence as "illegal".
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

Using the term "illegal" instead of undocumented immigrant is disrespectful and impolite.

How is that disrespectful and impolite? I mean, they immigrated illegally, so that's the most logical thing to call them. [This] just seems ridiculous and oversensitive.

The problem lies in judging someone's existence as "illegal".

So would 'criminal' immigrant be more sensitive?  'Undocumented' makes it sound like they merely forgot to file some bureaucratic form which would have automatically approved had they done so.  'Undocumented' is too much of an understatement to be correct in any manner save that of political correctness.
t_host1

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »

The left trying censor religious speech or stupid words like "penmanship".
Absolute most ridiculous strawman in the history of the Atlas Forum. If you were joking, very nice, because I literally LOLed for about 20 seconds at the sheer absurdity of it.
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/05/49446-new-washington-state-law-bans-words-penmanship-freshman-fisherman-as-sexist/

I'm not joking.

Meh, whatever. Some fool in Washington goes overboard with his word list on an otherwise OK bill, and you spin it to "those loony liberals are banning the word "penmanship" for being sexist!!!!"

I was spinning it? lol This thread is about political correctness, right?

No, this is the progressive left turn that dead ended into a confessional evidentiary thread.  Seems to be the trend of late, what with the POTUS whining New Yorker gig, the ‘oh woe is me because I’m black, wh#*e people don’t want to play my game(s), as in racist games, the #1 politically correct tactic of the graduated Democrat. No. Faith in the sense of a liberal progressing to the ascendance of a Democrat is the ridicule of faith, once presence is achieved, assumes the role of God. 
Of course being politically correct isn't all bad, has something to do with What Matters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies